Tell me all I need to know about heaters!

1. Turn the heater off before you do a water change. It's best to let it sit a bit first.

2. Just because your heater gives you a reading, doesn't mean you should not have a thermometer in the tank alongside it. These bits of equipment go hand-in-hand.

Umm... what size aquarium are you using it on? I wondered because the Jager 250 is rated for 106-159 gallons according to the Foster and Smith site.

:yikes Really!!! It's for a 240 litre/ 60 US gallons!!!

Just checked the Eheim website, it's recommended for tanks upto 400 litres. I hope it will be OK in my tank. I read on here to get the one up from the size you actually need.

Edited by U.K. Becs

I think the rating of 106-159 gallons for a 250 w heater is high. I've seen another brand rate their 300 w heater for 80 gallons and another rate their 250 w heater for 75 gallons. I have a 250 w heater for my 55 gallon.

Heaters can malfuntion. If they just quit working it's not a problem. But I did have a heater malfuntion and over heat once and cook the fish.

• Admin

:yikes Really!!! It's for a 240 litre/ 60 US gallons!!!

Just checked the Eheim website, it's recommended for tanks upto 400 litres. I hope it will be OK in my tank. I read on here to get the one up from the size you actually need.

I have a 300watt heater in my 50 gallon tank, Reason my house gets very cold and I cant efford the base board heating...my other heater of 200 watts wasnt keeping the tank at 77F...

That size should be fine for your tank, I wouldn't worry about it. I have used that brand and they are very high quality. When you get the heater, place it in the tank but wait at least an hour before you plug it in (otherwise you will get condensation on the inside of the heater). It's best to install it on a day when you'll be home most of the day so you can keep an eye on the temperature and make any adjustments to the thermostat. If you're going to do a large WC that will expose the heater, unplug it first. HTH! :)

Ooo! Thanks 4pretty! :D I forgot to ask where to put it! I have two canister filters running, one at either end of the tank, they both have spray bars connected. I also have two big bubble disks.

I also don't know if this is safe or not... But just to be safe... I make sure plant leaves aren't touching the heater. (or anything for that matter) My thinking is that bubble makers will even disburse the heat even better throughout the tank. I bet your fish are going to love their heater. :) Edited by 4prettyfish

Thanks for the extra info. :) No probs, I don't have plants anymore, I got so fed up of scrubbing them and buying new ones I decided to get rid of them all together.

I have only ever used a heater when my fish have been sick, but now I have one fish who cannot handle cold water. So they are all getting some heat. I can't wait to move my sick fish back to the main tank, he is in a much smaller tank and he soon runs out of swimming space (he loves to swim laps!)

I have two of the Eheim jagers, and the one thing I would suggest is to carefully read the instructions the first time you set it up. There are some pretty detailed directions for calibrating it if I remember correctly. They are very good heaters, but mine took some figuring out to make sure they are correctly calibrated (so that when you turn the knob to 70, it actually heats to 70 etc.).

I didn't read any of the other suggestions, so I apologize if I repeat something that was already said:

Place the heater in an area with lots of water flow (near filter outlet or air stone) in order to properly distribute the heated water.

Keep a thermometer in the tank at all times and regularly check it in order to notice heater malfunctions.

Have fun with your new toy! :D