How many shrimp can I have?

mochi

I have a 10 litre square bowl with an air-stone, can I keep shrimp in there?

If so, how many?

I got the stuff for free and it came with a goldfish but unfortunately the goldfish died just 2 days later. Other goldfish is out of the question as I learned from people on here they need really big tanks.But I really don't want to give the stuff away after I just got it. I searched up stuff that can live in small tanks and shrimp is one of them.

There are red cherry shrimp and yellow cherry shrimp at my closest pet-store.There is also ghost shrimp but I don't like them that much.

If I remember right, then ghost shrimp (which are a bit larger than cherries) can be kept at 1 per 2 liters.

Are you going to have live plants in the bowl? Air stone? I'd make sure to plop two or three moss balls in there, and then probably 8-10 cherry shrimp.

I never found a definitive answer on shrimp stocking levels. Red or yellow shrimp will probably reproduce, so if they live, you will eventually have a lot of them. :)

Btw, shrimp can be hardy in established tanks, but they don't do well in newly set up tanks.

Aren't shrimp fairly sensitive to water quality? I think they would need a filter, and most likely a small heater to keep the water stable in a container that small. They also love hiding spots and lots of plants from what I've read. :)

Shrimp are very sensitive to water quality. Although cherry shrimp will survive for a while in a set up that small they will likely die over time. For Cherry shrimp and most other types of shrimp it's best to keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium or bigger. The larger aquarium gives them more stable water conditions which they need to survive.

If you want to keep shimp in your small bowl the best shrimp to get is the Hawaiian red shrimp, Halocaridina rubra. You could keep 50 of these shrimp in your bowl and these shrimp wouldn't need water changes, ever. Only need to be fed a little bit once or twice a month and can live for 20 years.

Shrimp are very sensitive to water quality. Although cherry shrimp will survive for a while in a set up that small they will likely die over time. For Cherry shrimp and most other types of shrimp it's best to keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium or bigger. The larger aquarium gives them more stable water conditions which they need to survive.

If you want to keep shimp in your small bowl the best shrimp to get is the Hawaiian red shrimp, Halocaridina rubra. You could keep 50 of these shrimp in your bowl and these shrimp wouldn't need water changes, ever. Only need to be fed a little bit once or twice a month and can live for 20 years.

Google here I come. I've never heard of those kind of shrimp, they sure sound different.

I see. I don't think my petstore has any Hawaiian red shrimp. I can ask if they will order any though.

Can I keep a shrimp if I get a filter and some live plants? My house is 70f, is that OK or do I need a heater?

If not shrimp, I read you can keep a single apple snail in 10 litres so I guess I can try that? Is there anything else that can live in a small tank? I read some conflicting stuff about african dwarf frogs too.

• 2 weeks later...

Google here I come. I've never heard of those kind of shrimp, they sure sound different.

Here's some general information about these shrimp.

http://www.petshrimp.com/opaeinfo.php

Here's an article on how to set up a tank for these shrimp.

http://www.petshrimp.com/opaesetup.php

Here's some general information about these shrimp.

http://www.petshrimp.com/opaeinfo.php

Here's an article on how to set up a tank for these shrimp.

http://www.petshrimp.com/opaesetup.php

It's all your fault! Now there's another tank I'm gonna have to get. :pan

Edited by smegypsiren

You suck! Only reason I'm not getting them yet is I have to go out of town for a few weeks in March, so none for me. Are you going to keep them in brackish so they'll breed? Put me on the top of the list if they do start baby making.

Only reason I'm not getting them yet is I have to go out of town for a few weeks in March, so none for me.

Why is going out of town for a few weeks in March stopping you from getting some? These shrimp don't need water changes and only need to be fed a little bit once or twice a month.

I'm going to be keeping mine in brackish water with a specific gravity of 1.012 and hope to have lots of babies.

Idk I'd just feel like a bad parent leaving them like that. Plus I figure by then I won't be so broke from the evil consumer spendfest called Christmas by then. I say that but really I just bought two Persian kittens for my Christmas :D Seriously though, definitely hook me up when you become a grandparent. I'd love to buy some from ya. How long to do they take to breed? I haven't gotten to the proliferation part yet.