Sign in to follow this  
larryngu

Trying to cycle and quarantine all while setting up new tanks nightmare. Please help.

I'm re-asking this question in this thread because I hid my question in someone else's thread and didn't get any answers. Plus my stand is coming coming Dec 4th so it is rather time sensitive. Dec 4th is when I will try and start my cycle. I need an answer before then on whether I should treat my current goldfish with prazi or not.

Here is my awkward situation.

I have two situations and two questions.

Situation #1

The forty gallon that I'm going to cycled and get ready for my two rain garden babies( the fishes arrive in the mail Jan 14) is in my bedroom. I'm always in and out of my room with lights and everything. I have a ten gallon hospital tank with filtration that have yet to set up. The hospital tank , once set up, will be in my spare bedroom. I almost never enter my spare bedroom. My question once I get my fishes in the mail, should I just put them temporarily in my ten gallon for two days? The fishes will have time to rest.

Situation #2 Right now I currently have one fish in a twenty gallon. I plan to start doing a fishless cycle now on my forty gallon tank and seed the bio media of 20 gallon at the same time.. By Jan 14 I hopefully should have one 40 gallon and a 20 gallon that is cycled.When my two rain garden goldfishes arrive on Jan 14th should I just put my two new goldfishes right into my 40 gallon or should I quarentine them first? If I do quarentine how should I quarentine?

I've had my current goldfish for two months now. She shows no signs of illness. I never treated my current fish with prazi.

Should I go ahead and treat my current goldfish now with Prazi in her 20 gallon before I begin my cycle?? I plan to seed the twenty gallon filter media while I'm cycling the 40 gallon so there could be cross contamination.

Edited by larryngu

The situation is a bit confusing and really trying to cycle two tanks with fish in them sounds like a living hell, but with regards to the QT process I think if I was in your shoes id just get everyone into the tanks you want to keep them in, then run a QT process on all tanks at the same time. Then you'd know everyone is healthy and that youre not likely to cross-contaminate in regular circumstances.

Then in future id always remove any sick fish to your hospital tank for treatment and keep equipment separate.

The situation is a bit confusing and really trying to cycle two tanks with fish in them sounds like a living hell,

What I'm trying to do is do a fishless cycle of my forty gallon tank. I plan to seed the 20 gallons bio media with 40 gallon tank that I'm cycling.

The forty gallon that I'm cycling will be fishless. The twenty gallon which I'm not cycling will have one fish.

My two rain garden fishes will not arrive until Jan. 14 th after all tanks are cycled.

Just trying to clarify, since I am also finding this a little confusing; you currently have one fish in a 20 gallon tank that is not cycled?

If your fish are arriving on the 14th why wouldn't you be starting cycling now on the 40 gallon?

I agree with just getting the fish in their tanks then running a QT process. Once all fish are Qt'ed you should be fine (if you want to or are planning to) to house all three fish together

Should I go ahead and treat my current goldfish now with Prazi in her 20 gallon before I begin my cycle?? I plan to seed the twenty gallon filter media while I'm cycling the 40 gallon so there could be cross contamination.

Sorry, I misunderstood, but this last bit of your first post made it sound like your 20g wasnt cycled yet either, and so I figured you were trying to cycle two tanks before your new fish arrived - and if that didnt work out youd be doing 2 cycles with fish-in.

Anyway, I still think id just treat her now in her own tank, then treat the two new fish in their final tank when they arrive too.

Hopefully somebody will correct me if that is wrong, but I see no advantage of putting new fish in a hospital tank when nobody else is occupying the display tank.

Just trying to clarify, since I am also finding this a little confusing; you currently have one fish in a 20 gallon tank that is not cycled?

If your fish are arriving on the 14th why wouldn't you be starting cycling now on the 40 gallon?

I agree with just getting the fish in their tanks then running a QT process. Once all fish are Qt'ed you should be fine (if you want to or are planning to) to house all three fish together

Right now I have one goldfish in a uncycled 20 gallon fish tank.

I plan to do a fishless cycled now on my forty gallon tank now and seed my 20 gallon at the same time. By Jan 14 th when my rain garden fishes arrive, I will have a cycled 40 gallon waiting for them.

I will not be housing all three fishes together. My two Rain garden fishes that will arrive Jan 14 th will be in the forty gallon. My current fish will remain in her 20 gallon.

I will be using the same syphon on both forty and twenty gallon though.

Edited by larryngu

If you have a fish in a 20 gallon with a filter the tank would have already begun to cycle as you have a source of ammonia.

I think you will be better off allowing the 40 gallon to cycle completely (just add ammonia to the tank and monitor it) and pay closer attention to the 20 gallon tank as you need to be keeping a very close eye on the fish and the water parameters.

If you have a fish in a 20 gallon with a filter the tank would have already begun to cycle as you have a source of ammonia.

I think you will be better off allowing the 40 gallon to cycle completely (just add ammonia to the tank and monitor it) and pay closer attention to the 20 gallon tank as you need to be keeping a very close eye on the fish and the water parameters.

I will be using a fluval 306 when I cycle my forty gallon tank. I will have lots and lots of space to put the bio media of my 20 gallon tank in the fluval. That way, if all goes as planned, I will have two cycled tanks.

I don't want to do a fish in cycle with my 20 gallon tank because I think it will stress out my current fish out too much unnecessarily.

Edited by larryngu

In regards to your situation 1 and 2: First I am not a mod but you would think you can put your new fish directly into your new 40g tank if it is fully cycled and alone. You only need to qt a fish that is sick or new to your home from other fish that are healthy and not sick. You would then treat your new fish with prazi. You can put your new fish in either new tank that is fully cycled. The 40 or 10 that you were talking about. But if you put your new fish in the 10g tank (it needs to be fully cycled) that would mean you would save a lot of time and money on using your meds and if you have to do wc's it would not be near as bad on a 10 g tank. That's what I would think here. I hope I said nothing wrong. Please correct me if I did. I see others are assisting you. Good luck on your tanks and can't wait to see your fish in their new home. :)

Edited by 4prettyfish

So if I put prazi the 40 gallon that already cycled, I will not hurt the nitrifying bacteria in there?

The prazi will not hurt my cycle?

Edited by larryngu

So if I put prazi the 40 gallon that already cycled, I will not hurt the nitrifying bacteria in there?

no

no

That makes things alot easier because I thought the prazi will hurt my cycle.

Now I plan to treat my current fish in my 20 gallon with prazi.

I will start cycling my 40 gallon and seed the bio media of 20 gallon at the same time.

When my two new fishes arrive they will go directly into their cycled 40 gallon tank. I will treat the 40 gallon tank.

Problem solved. Thanks everyone.

Edited by larryngu

I guess all this will keep you busy for awhile and perhaps not think of your new fish coming in Jan. (NOT) :)

I'm not trying to panic you, but this is something you should keep in mind:

1. It can, and most likely will, take much longer than 6 weeks to do a fishless cycle. If I were planning for it, I would have said allow 8-12 weeks of time to get your cycling done.

2. So, it is entirely possible that you will be having a situation where you will have 3 fish and no cycled tank in sight.

3. You must plan for situation #2, if you want to be thorough.

K alex.

That was confusing!

I have two things to add : Prazi all the things, and good luck!

The only other thing to add about your QT situation is that if your fish arrive with a condition that needs to be treated with a gram positive antibiotic or a heavy dose of a gram negative one, that will kill your cycle since beneficial bacteria is of the gram negative nature. :(

ETA: garsh dern dyslexia

Edited by bodoba