Moving goldfish - 17 hours!

LovelyChaos

Right after New Years I will be making a 17 hour move down south to San Diego. I have browsed a couple of threads about moving goldfish, but it seems the longest trips are only 4-5 hours. This month we are doing our planning for the move.

I plan on using 1 or 2 sterilite tubs, about 36 gallons each to move 11 goldfish, and fasting for 3 days beforehand. It is a 17 hour drive from here to my home in San Diego, traffic permitting. We make about 4-5 stops on the way down. I will also have a couple of bubble wands in with the goldfish and my plants/bb's in a separate bucket. Has anyone done a move this long before? How can I give my bb's the best chance at surviving? What do I need to do for the goldfish on the way down? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I won't be driving, thankfully, so I will be able to take care of anything that needs to be done. I am so nervous about this, but I would rather make a crazy move with the fish under my care rather than giving them away up here (:

Advice? :krazy:

my advice: Make a meticulous checklist of everything you think you are going to need for them and adhere to it like duct tape.

Keep the BBs in with the fish. Get some mesh bags and secure them to the totes you'll be keeping the fish in to give them the best chance of getting food/oxygen.

Don't pack the Prime away, make sure it is on hand during the entire trip in case there is an issue.

Keep some of your old house's water on-hand too. It will help in case you need to change water for whatever reason.

Make sure the fish are in a darkened space to minimize stress, and that the totes are secure from bowing and heavy bumps in the road.

Fast the fish for a couple of days before the move so they don't produce too much waste in the container. It also helps to give them greens the day before you start fasting to clear them out.

Overall, don't stress yourself. If you're stressed there's more of a chance things could go wrong.

I'm sure more members have more stuff to say. :)

By stops do you mean you are stopping overnight anywhere?

No, only quick pit stops to refuel eat or use the restroom. We wanna make the trip in 1 day (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

Is anyone already down at the house in San Diego? Knowing your new water parameters and having a tank/tub already set up would save you from stressing. Someone said it perfectly (though I cant remember who to quote acurately) "When moving to a new place, make sure the fish are the last thing packed, and the first to be unpacked".

What I would do if I were you and had the space in the vehicle, I'd bring as much pretreated water as I could (either in a 5g bucket with a tightly sealed lid, or in the milk gallon containers) and when you DO make your pit stop, take out some of the old water and replace it with the fresh. Also, If you've got the money to spare, I'd pick up a couple of battery powered bubblers.

http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-525780

That way you're getting some oxygen exchange. Fishies are pretty tough when it comes to roughing it in tubs. I'm sure whatever you choose to do, it'll all work out =)

Good luck with your move! We expect lots of pictures! =P

• Admin

Longest Trip I had was from Santa Barbara, CA to Hillsboro, OR... 22 Fargen long hours straight drive :o

the best thing I did was....

1. Stop feeding 2 days before hand.

2. Big Bucket about 5 gallons of tank water.

3. Another Bucket of tank water.

4. Battery operated air pump.

5. Extra 2 gallons of water...

drained some of the tank water into the buckets... placed the media in the smaller bucket. Then the fish into the bigger bucket. Hooked the battery operated pump to the fish's bucket and started to drain the tank to zero water....

About half way through the trip I drained half the water out of the bucket and replaced it with the 2 gallons of tap treated water... Didnt have a problem... One other thing test your water that you get to with the water in your buckets... Ph and such.. you dont want a ph shocker :o

Is anyone already down at the house in San Diego? Knowing your new water parameters and having a tank/tub already set up would save you from stressing. Someone said it perfectly (though I cant remember who to quote acurately) "When moving to a new place, make sure the fish are the last thing packed, and the first to be unpacked".

What I would do if I were you and had the space in the vehicle, I'd bring as much pretreated water as I could (either in a 5g bucket with a tightly sealed lid, or in the milk gallon containers) and when you DO make your pit stop, take out some of the old water and replace it with the fresh. Also, If you've got the money to spare, I'd pick up a couple of battery powered bubblers.

http://www.petmounta...ct/11442-525780

That way you're getting some oxygen exchange. Fishies are pretty tough when it comes to roughing it in tubs. I'm sure whatever you choose to do, it'll all work out =)

Good luck with your move! We expect lots of pictures! =P

Yes, there are people at the house! (: From what I remember, the major differences is that the water is a lot harder down there, and the pH is slightly higher. I have some extra containers that I can put water in.

I imagine the pictures would be full of very groggy and annoyed people loading tubs of fish into a van :rofl

Good luck with the move! We made a long move (10hrs) from Volda to Kristiansand in Norway. It involved 3 ferries, mountains, caves, ... the whole Scandinavian epic thing. Newton came through with flying colours. We fasted him for two days and had planned to put him in the 20 liter bucket. In the end, the bucket did not fit in the car with the dog, cat (and kids and stuff). We ended up with him in a 25% filled 60 liter tank. There were tears as he sloshed on to ferries and over mountains but he hung on. At one point, we headed up hill in an underpowered 12 year old Saab pulling a trailer, and he was literally on his side as all the water sloshed to one end of the tank (Terry big time crying then). Once we arrived (at 2am), I filled and primed the tank and turned the filter on. For two days, he was a little off but now lives happily in his new 240 liter (pictures soon). They are tough little guys.

That is so exciting! Welcome back to SD! The ph here is around 8.0-8.4. Kh is around 107 and gh around 170. Good luck with the move! :)

Wow! That will be tricky to acclimate them to! Up here the pH is about 7.0 and kH is about 60. Thank you for that info! It will save me a lot of time (:

• 1 month later...