The betta hoarding begins

number20121

Yeah... now today, for the very first time since I keep fish, I did it.

I bought a fish without hubby's "permission" when I was at Petsmart.

I blame it on him because he didn't want to come in but take a nap in the car in the parking lot :lol

Anyway. I was not planning on buying a fish. We just came from Fintastic to stock up on Prazi Pro (I always want to have it at home, just in case. Still got an open bottle but it's like almost empty), but on the way home I asked him if we could go to Petsmart, because I go there at least once a week even without buying anything :D

So I was going to buy a nice anubias nana, and checked out their goldfish, when I caught sight of a betta cup (the ones that sit on top of the regular tanks, not in the betta section) with a very interesting looking little fish in it. I picked the cup up and looked at it and KNEW I wanted that fish. Although I am currently not fully prepared, I had to get her. She is a female crowntail and I have never seen one of this coloring. It's kind of like a mix of of a cambodian and fancy / grizzly. Or maybe it's actually a fancy, I have no clue.

I got her home and took some pics of her by herself, and a few of her (inside her cup) inside Will Ferrell's QT. He flipped out and flared up and I noticed how much he improved within these five days that I have had him, so there's some pics of both of them as well.

I have no name for that girl yet, I am sure I will figure something out :lol

01.jpg

02-2.jpg

03-3.jpg

04.jpg

05-3.jpg

06-2.jpg

07-2.jpg

08.jpg

WOW!!!! Love her colours :D Very pretty fishy :wub:

Thanks you! I have never seen one with her colors, and even the cashier kept going on about how pretty she is and how jealous she is that I got that fish :D

And of course they have their bettas on sale right now and she only cost me $ 2.99 :D

I am becoming more and more intrigued by Bettas! If only I had room for more tanks. We really should think about moving to a bigger place! :rolleyes:

Well, a small 15liter tank should be able to fit in somewhere! Females are generally smaller, and will usually even be ok in a 10 liter (although I personally would prefer 15 liter if possible, just for enough swimming room, but Donna Noble did well in 10liters for the longest time, and she was a rather big female). These tanks are great on a desk etc or in the kitchen :D

I just hate cleaning small tanks, otherwise I'd have a dozen betta tanks! :lol

wow, she is super pretty!!

Thanks, Nina! She sure is very unique looking (at least for what you can find in my area). :)

She is so cute! She's a grizzle with a red wash. Red wash is one of the most common washes to breed out and many betta has it lurking in their genes. She may have red gain where she gets more of it as she ages or the less common red loss. C: congrats, she's gorgeous!

15 Litres! Really? I thought they needed 60 Litres! Well then that might be do-able! I know nothing about them though. I will have to do some research and gain a little knowledge before I take that leap. :)

Psycho is in a 35 litre or less tank, fits nicely on the kitchen unit in the corner. Right by the sink, handy for water changes! He has loads of space :)

She s lovely fang!

It's funny how much more feminine she looks than the boy. Congratulations!

Edited by mjbubbles

• Supporter

She is beautiful! I love bettas. I'd love to have more but I don't want anymore tanks to clean xD If I could fit a bigger one somewhere I'd do a divided one but for now my little man is happy in his 20 litres :)

Aaaahhhhhh! She is so cute! Not sure I would have been able to resist her either.

Thanks, and I know, right? :D

15 Litres! Really? I thought they needed 60 Litres! Well then that might be do-able! I know nothing about them though. I will have to do some research and gain a little knowledge before I take that leap. :)

In general I prefer to have about 20 liters per betta, but for a female 10-15 will usually be just fine too. They are so much smaller than goldfish and produce significantly less waste! A small filter is just fine too! I have had Will Ferrell in his 10liter QT for 5 days with some live plants and only 1 water change, NO filtration, and there was less than 0.25ppm ammonia when I tested today.

A 20 liter is easier to heat though (smaller tanks tend to be more difficult to heat because small tanks are more unstable in temp) and a 7.5 watt heater is perfect for those. :D

Very pretty coloring! :)

Thank you very much! :)

She is so cute! She's a grizzle with a red wash. Red wash is one of the most common washes to breed out and many betta has it lurking in their genes. She may have red gain where she gets more of it as she ages or the less common red loss. C: congrats, she's gorgeous!

Thanks, PSP! I wondered what color she is, and checked the betta coloration topic :D

Terrific and unique coloring once again! Such a nice contrast in coloring to Will (who I think is my fave betta).

Congrats! :)

Thanks a lot! These two sure look nice together, too bad they can not share tanks. But now they are in adjacent tanks, and still everything seems to be fine since both have a decent amount of plants :)

She is gorgeous!

Thank you so much!

Very pretty! I've been thinking of setting up a betta tank myself...hmm =D

Thanks! You should definitely do it! :D

She s lovely fang!

It's funny how much more feminine she looks than the boy. Congratulations!

I know! I love them, and love how both are crown tails!

She is beautiful! I love bettas. I'd love to have more but I don't want anymore tanks to clean xD If I could fit a bigger one somewhere I'd do a divided one but for now my little man is happy in his 20 litres :)

Yeah, that would be great to have them in one large tank with dividers! I hate w/c on small tanks :lol

They are gorgeous together. It's a shame they couldn't live with each other. This is another absolutely lucky find!

So true! Although I get the impression that in the end it would her kicking his butt instead of the other way around :rofl

pretty colors!! she's like a rainbow!

Yeah, she almost kind of goes in the calico direction. Shubunkin-betta? :lol

The instant I saw her I thought "Wow...Tye Dyed!!!" She's SO pretty!

Yeah, kind of tye dyed, that's true! Thanks! :)

She is incredibly pretty! How could you not buy a fish like that?! :D

Exactly! :D I am not sure what this coloration really is considered though. Ideas, Mr. Betta Expert? :D

She gorgeous, Fang! :)

Thanks, Alex! Now if I could just come up with a good name for her :D

She's beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen those colors before on a Betta before. Congrats

Thanks a lot! I never saw one like that either. I just love fish with many different colors on them, that's why I love me some calico goldfish the most :D

She's lovely! ... So, what color will the next one be? ;)

Haha! Hmm... I do like really green ones, but don't often see them. I also like ones that are mostly / solid white or yellow. We shall see! Maybe I'm lucky and I am able to keep a few females in my 55g community tank (need some more plants then though), so I'll probably keep checking the females more than the males :D