Momo is sick?

Althea_45

I think my fish Momo is sick! I just switched her from a 5 gallon to a 10 gallon two days ago and still she is staying at the bottom is just not the active little fish she was! I tried recleaning the tank and replacing the water but she just doesn't want to move!

The mods might be able to help you if you fill in the form here c:

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Yes, please fill out the questions above :) If you don't have a test kit you'll need to take a sample of your water to the pet store to be tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, write down the exact numbers for these parameters (don't let the store tell you everything's fine)

Okay. I will do that as soon as I can get to the store and buy a test kit!

-Tithra; I am very sorry about Puff. I only justwatch your video and I am very sorry.

Thanks hun :)

Please get a liquid drop test kit, not strips. The API master test kit comes with everything you need. It's a little more expensive up front, but you save money in the long run because you get so many more tests out of it than with the strips, it's also more accurate.

Is the telescope in the same tank?

-Tithra; I am very sorry about Puff. I only justwatch your video and I am very sorry.

Please get a liquid drop test kit, not strips. The API master test kit comes with everything you need. It's a little more expensive up front, but you save money in the long run because you get so many more tests out of it than with the strips, it's also more accurate.

Momo is doing a lot better and is more active and my mom and I thought it would be okay to put Diana (My new fish) in the same tank but she doesn't seem to see. I have a lamp next to the tank and I switched it on after and hour of dim light and Momo skittered away and Diana didn't move from it. Could she be blind? Should I put her in a seperate tank?

Hi Althea and welcome to Kokos!

Sorry you are having trouble with your fish. If it were me, I would separate the two if you are not able to treat them for their illnesses with medications. It sounds like they are both having issues, and it would be a shame for them to catch whatever is bothering the other! Alternatively, you can keep them in the 10 gallon tank and treat them together, which would be ideal. I have some questions for you. How often do you change the water? Do you use a dechlorinator or water conditioner when you change the water to remove toxins from the tap? If not, pick up some Prime brand water conditioner while you're at the store. Almost everyone here uses it, it's the best for the money in my opinion.

If you are able to go to petsmart, I would also pick up a thing of aquarium salt as well as a medication called parasite guard. Each of these things is around 4 dollars.

Add 1 tablet of parasite guard and 10 tsp of aqaurium salt to the 10 gallon tank with both fish in it. It would be best to do a large water change, dissolve the aquarium salt and medication in new water, and then add it to your tank. Do this every day for two week with daily water changes.

Unfortunately, goldfish often come loaded with parasites. Aquarium salt and a medication called praziquantel will kill off parasites. Parasite guard has praziquantel in it and is cheaply available from petsmart. Fish can bottom sit and bump into things for lots of reasons, but if you are able to get us tank parameters and treat you tank with salt and parasite guard, it will rule out parasites.

Almost all of us do this with all of our new fish to prevent parasite outbreaks and illnesses :) It is a great precautionary method.

Further down the line, you will want a minimum of 20 gallons for these two fish. A 30 gallon tank would be best. A general rule for goldfish is a minimum of 10 gallons per fish, or 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for every fish after that. You can check craigslist for good used tanks, as well as goodwill, salvation army type places, and petsmart/petco sales!

Best of luck and please don't hesitate to ask more questions. I hope this is helpful and your fish recover. Even if your fish is blind, which I think is unlikely, try not to worry about it, fish find food regardless of eye sight and can live long happy lives!

Momo is doing a lot better and is more active and my mom and I thought it would be okay to put Diana (My new fish) in the same tank but she doesn't seem to see. I have a lamp next to the tank and I switched it on after and hour of dim light and Momo skittered away and Diana didn't move from it. Could she be blind? Should I put her in a seperate tank?

Let's hold off on buying any medications until we have your water parameters and you have filled out all the questions that were posted above for you. It may be a simple water quality issue that does not require further treatment. If you have the money and would like to pick up some salt (aquarium salt or salt without any additives/anti-caking agents) that would be fine, as this is good to have around, but please hold off on the parasite guard at this point until we have all the info :)

Let's hold off on buying any medications until we have your water parameters and you have filled out all the questions that were posted above for you. It may be a simple water quality issue that does not require further treatment. If you have the money and would like to pick up some salt (aquarium salt or salt without any additives/anti-caking agents) that would be fine, as this is good to have around, but please hold off on the parasite guard at this point until we have all the info :)

Tithra - I'm curious as to why? I use it to treat for parasites as it has prazi and metro in it, and since she didn't treat her first fish and now has a second, why wouldn't she do normal qt procedures to eliminate parasites? Just curious :) I always use it so if there's a reason I shouldn't be I want to know for sure! Thanks for any info you can provide.

Tithra - I'm curious as to why? I use it to treat for parasites as it has prazi and metro in it, and since she didn't treat her first fish and now has a second, why wouldn't she do normal qt procedures to eliminate parasites? Just curious :) I always use it so if there's a reason I shouldn't be I want to know for sure! Thanks for any info you can provide.

Primarily because it is important to know what the water parameters etc. are before we provide any sort of advice in terms of treatment. I think that it is certainly a good idea to treat for flukes if the OP hasn't yet, but we don't know anything about the history of these fish yet. For example, it would be important to know if there was any ammonia in the water or if the fish have a history of dropsy before adding salt. It's just best practice to hold off until we have all the info ;)

The other thing is I would be apt to recommend prazipro over the parasite guard tablets simply because the parasite tablets have extra meds in them besides just the prazi (Dflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin). So, my first choice would be prazipro over parasite guard. That said, if the OP could not get access to prazipro, and it was obvious this was flukes and not a water quality issue, then the parasite guard would be a good alternative option.

Primarily because it is important to know what the water parameters etc. are before we provide any sort of advice in terms of treatment. I think that it is certainly a good idea to treat for flukes if the OP hasn't yet, but we don't know anything about the history of these fish yet. For example, it would be important to know if there was any ammonia in the water or if the fish have a history of dropsy before adding salt. It's just best practice to hold off until we have all the info ;)

The other thing is I would be apt to recommend prazipro over the parasite guard tablets simply because the parasite tablets have extra meds in them besides just the prazi (Dflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin). So, my first choice would be prazipro over parasite guard. That said, if the OP could not get access to prazipro, and it was obvious this was flukes and not a water quality issue, then the parasite guard would be a good alternative option.

Got it. Thanks. You're right about the dropsy.

Now that tastyworms carries prazi I will be ordering it but could not find it locally anywhere, even the aquarium shops, so I was using parasite guard.

• Admin

Agreed We always need the information at the top of the page... unless we are doing a general disscussion, but this fish is sick.... Cant be adding meds to the water with out knowing what is going on in the water. You could cause more of an issue doing that. :thumb:

Another question, I just bought a black telescope eye fish, and I think its blind. There isn't any white on its eyes but he/she is listless and bumping into a lot of things.

Teles are known for their bad vision. :) I'm not sure, but the fish bumping into things and staying listless might be Columnaris.

Another question, I just bought a black telescope eye fish, and I think its blind. There isn't any white on its eyes but he/she is listless and bumping into a lot of things.

Teles are known for their bad vision. :) I'm not sure, but the fish bumping into things and staying listless might be Columnaris.

It's true some teles do have bad vision inherently, but again, let's be careful not to jump to any diagnoses prior to having all the information.