Sign in to follow this  
AnnaMNR

My fish doesn't like Pro-Gold?

I just got my order a couple days ago and now he doesn't seem to like it. When I go to feed him he gets super excited and when he gobbles up a piece or two his whole demeanor changes and he's just like, "Oh, this again" and wanders off to another part of the aquarium. Eventually when he realizes he isn't getting anything else he will begrudgingly pick at it and eat but I get much more of a response when I feed bloodworms, brine shrimp, algae wafers, or the flakes I was feeding before my Pro-Gold came in. Could it be that he just isn't used to sinking pellets and thinks the texture is weird? From what I've read most goldfish love Pro-Gold. Do you think he will get used to it or should I look at other options for food?

Edited by AnnaMNR

He could just not be used to it yet, I think. Are you soaking the pellets before feeding?

The progold seems to take some chewing also, so it definitely helps to soak it.

I haven't been soaking but I will from now on. Maybe that will help. Thank you!

It may just take him some time. I've noticed that whenever I get a new fish, it takes them a while to catch on to the pellets, especially the sinking part.

Another option--if you're looking into Repashy at all anytime in the next couple of months--you could add it to the gel food. :)

Edited by fantailfan1

It may just take him some time. I've noticed that whenever I get a new fish, it takes them a while to catch on to the pellets, especially the sinking part.

Another option--if you're looking into Repashy at all anytime in the next couple of months--you could add it to the gel food. :)

Ooh that's a good idea! I am getting Repashy soon!

I started doing that because straight (even presoaked) ProGold makes one of my fish floaty but not when it's in Repashy. :)

I started doing that because straight (even presoaked) ProGold makes one of my fish floaty but not when it's in Repashy. :)

I did this too, crushed pellets into powder and mixed it right in. Clementine was happy to taste her favorite old pellets in her new food.

I did this too, crushed pellets into powder and mixed it right in. Clementine was happy to taste her favorite old pellets in her new food.

How many pellets did you use for one batch?

I measured out enough to make around a teaspoon crushed for a regular-sized batch of Repashy, but that's too little for those who want the growth effect of ProGold. It's more for taste than anything else and 2-3 teaspoons make for a better growth mix. (Next time I am also throwing some bloodworms in the mix for a bit of added yumminess.)

There must be something wrong with my piggies..........they will eat ANYTHING I give them..........They all 3 LOVE progold...........and I do not do anything with it

they like it so much that they Dance all the time !!!!

I measured out enough to make around a teaspoon crushed for a regular-sized batch of Repashy, but that's too little for those who want the growth effect of ProGold. It's more for taste than anything else and 2-3 teaspoons make for a better growth mix. (Next time I am also throwing some bloodworms in the mix for a bit of added yumminess.)

Thats a good idea. Right now I'm feeding two meals of repashy and seaweed or peas or green beans and then one meal alternating every other day of either pro-gold (but they can only handle about 2 or 3 max because of the floaty issues) and then the other days blood worms. I think as much as they like repashy they still love progold and blood worms more :)

Thanks for the tips about the repashy guys!