Sign in to follow this  
Fishlet

More eggs! When will they stop?

I went to feed my goldies breakfast this morning and surprise surprise more eggs!!! :) This is batch #2 in the last month! But I'm not sure which fish they came from as all 3 females in the tank were being chased by males when I saw them.

Do you know how long they will continue to spawn? I hope they don't drop more eggs when we're visiting family for Christmas. I've heard that barometric pressure changes like rain or storms can help induce breeding and if so I'm in for a long winter since it started dumping rain a few days ago.

Sorry this pic is a little blurry but it was hard to get a good one with all of the goldies zooming around and all. They tend to lay them in the back of the tank. Plus they were gobbling up those eggs.

photo2.jpg

Mine just did this too!

* and we are both in California! weird?

Edited by ahardeay

I believe I read in another topic that they tend to spawn 3 times . . . . Get ready for one more, at least. I think BurningIvy's Ursala is on about her 100th spawniing! :rofl

What are they adding to the water in CA? :rofl

Lol! Careful not to drink it!!! :yikes

At about what age do fish start to spawn?

Mine just did this too!

* and we are both in California! weird?

Oh wow! I just read your post and am going to reply with good fishy vibes right after this! :D Sooo exciting! If I were able to keep this batch we'd have twins! But I can't since we'll be going out of town in a couple of weeks for Christmas. And unfortunately, Wisconsin is much farther than Portland so we're definitely not driving. Good luck with yours though! My last batch are 3.5 weeks old and they are an absolute joy to raise.

I believe I read in another topic that they tend to spawn 3 times . . . . Get ready for one more, at least. I think BurningIvy's Ursala is on about her 100th spawniing! :rofl

Yikes! That's a lot! And I have 3 girls...so 3 x3 = :blink: LOL! BurningIvy seems to have fry nonstop! I'm going to have to start living through hers vicariously until I get my baby fry back from my Mom in January.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Must be hormones. Or perhaps soilent green? :D I bought some but haven't tried it yet and am now having second thoughts that I should wait until after Christmas to feed it to my fishies so that they can then spawn all they want! I think I heard in another thread that soilent green helped someone's fish spawn.

Lol! Careful not to drink it!!! :yikes

Yikes!!! LOL!!

At about what age do fish start to spawn?

I'm not an expert so can only speak from my fishies experience so perhaps someone else will chime in. I've only had my goldies for only a little over a year and I bought them fairly small. Two of the females I got last August as my first two fish named Fire and Flame. Their bodies were about the size of a quarter and now the larger one is about the size of a softball and the smaller the size of a tennis ball (they are not that wide though). One male oranda, Jumbo, was bought around the same time and he was maybe 2" head to tail and is now about 5" long. The third female, Cupcake, I bought in December and she was maybe 2" nose to tail and is now 5" long. My red and white ryukin, Toughnut, and my redcap oranda, PomPom, are the youngest as I bought them in mid-Dec. last year and they were very small only 1.5" nose to tail and are now 4-5" long.

I've read online that goldies can start spawning as young as 6 months but that the eggs/milt might not be as good as when they are a little older say 1 year.

Ursula has done it four times now. Three times isn't always the charm haha

I thought it was a hundred and 1 :lol1 forget dalmations it's gonna be goldies! :tomuch:

Edited by smegypsiren

My fish released eggs about 4 times in a month and hasn't since..however I haven't been home all day and it just rained so there could be more!

Gonna be a granny again? At least you get plenty of practice! :krazy:

Ursula has done it four times now. Three times isn't always the charm haha

Aww! I think that's awesome you have 4 batches of eggs so far!!! I hope I get more eggs too - but hopefully once I'm back from visiting my new inlaws in Wisconsin for Christmas so I can actually raise them. I would totally raise this batch but since I'll be gone for 2 weeks I don't think they wouldn't survive sadly.

I thought it was a hundred and 1 :lol1 forget dalmations it's gonna be goldies! :tomuch:

LOL!!! Yep, it seems like BurningIvy's Ursula seems to keep on going and going! :D

Haha! Goldies can have spots too! :rofl

My fish released eggs about 4 times in a month and hasn't since..however I haven't been home all day and it just rained so there could be more!

Wow. They really seem to like spawning after rain or storms. Could be a long winter lol!

Gonna be a granny again? At least you get plenty of practice! :krazy:

I wish mine had a little better timing. :) Unfortunately I can't keep this batch as much as I'd love to because of traveling but you betcha, I'll be waiting for the next batch! I really hope they don't spawn when I'm gone!!! The tank would be an utter mess! Also, with 3 females and I'm not sure which spawned this time so yikes that could be a lot of eggs...

Edited by Fishlet