3.5 week old fry - when to add power filter, raise water level?

Fishlet

Hi! Right now my fry are about 3.5 weeks old and I have a few questions.

First, I was wondering when I could add a power filter to the tank. I currently have them in a 20G long and have two Hydro Pro II sponge filters. I am just worried if I add one too soon they will get sucked up by the intake.

Second, when can I raise the water level in the tank? I started with the tank filled about 6" but raised it to 8" of water at the end of last week.

Don't use power any filter yet as they are still very small, generally if their sizes are about 1 inch then they should be fine but it also depend on how powerful is your filter and kind of fry are they. 8 inch of water is ok but not go above that yet. Not good for their swim bladders as they tend to overfill their bellies at this stage.

Don't use power any filter yet as they are still very small, generally if their sizes are about 1 inch then they should be fine but it also depend on how powerful is your filter and kind of fry are they. 8 inch of water is ok but not go above that yet. Not good for their swim bladders as they tend to overfill their bellies at this stage.

Thanks so much! What type of power filter would you recommend? I won't add a power filter/raise water for now as the fry are roughly 3/4 of an inch but not quite 1 inch.

I started with over 200 but already culled the ones with major defects and then rehomed most of the rest to a LFS who put them in their planted tanks until they get big enough to sell. So I have the remaining ~25 fry in a 20G long for now.

I'm not 100% sure what they will turn out looking like but all 3 females are ryukin (2 reds and one calico) and I'm pretty sure it was one of my red ryukins who laid eggs as she was the only one being chased by an orange/white oranda and red/white ryukin. There is one other male who is a red cap oranda but he's never really showed much interest.

You are welcome. 25 fry in a 20gal is good. As a matter of fact, if you can keep your water in good condition (watch ammonia level), you can grow them easily to over an inch. At this stage you have to feed them fairly heavy inorder to get those round bellies.

For me, my fry are about slightly bigger than 1/2 inch and I'm using a power head with 250L/hr output (65G/hr) and connected to a diy overhead small box (flower pot) with cycled media, (foam and white filter only). I just set it to the lowest setting and also wrapped an old sock over it as an added safety. I rinse this sock whenever I see the water flow slow to more than half. The flow is so slow that not even food can get suck up.

When my fish looked to be showing spawning behavior i put spawning mops in their pond. Bam, eggs. I took them out and put them into a 15 gal. It was full to the top and had a small pump/filter on it. I put a sponge over the intake. At no point was there problems with fish getting sucked into it, and they spent plenty of time near the bottom, which was over 1' deep.

What type of power filter would you recommend? I won't add a power filter/raise water for now as the fry are roughly 3/4 of an inch but not quite 1 inch.

The filter I prefer is the AquaClear. To avoid having your babies sucked up into the intake you can cut a hole in an extra AquaClear sponge filter insert and stuff the intake in the sponge. This method works good for both fry and shrimp. You can also adjust the AquaClear for heavy or light flow and it works on any size filter. I have an AquaClear 70 running in one of my shrimp tanks and shrimp will sit in the intake sponge and feed with no danger of getting sucked in.

Edited by nick11380

Thanks to all of you for your thoughs and input! It's very helpful as this is my first batch of fry. There actually weren't that many with severe deformities - no single tails, no missing fins that I could see although I'm sure a few with single anals with show up, 3 with bent spines and 2 that seemed to not develop internally and died within the first 2 days. No other casualties yet.

So it sounds like I can add some sort of a power filter on low with a sponge over it. I'll probably end up using an Aquaclear for ease since I already have one sitting around unopened. Some of the babies are now 1 inch long, while a few are at 3/4 inch.

Also, do any of you have additional tips for culling at this point?

You are welcome. 25 fry in a 20gal is good. As a matter of fact, if you can keep your water in good condition (watch ammonia level), you can grow them easily to over an inch. At this stage you have to feed them fairly heavy inorder to get those round bellies.

Do you know when a 20G will become too crowded for 25 babies? I actually dropped them off in Portland at the end of this past week because I'll be traveling over Christmas so my mom is babysitting them. She has some goldfish of her own so is familiar with water changes, heaters, food etc. So everything from now until first week in January when I'm hoping to go pick them up has to be relayed by phone/Skype/video/photos. So far so good but I'm guessing I'll be doing the next cull over Skype.

When my fish looked to be showing spawning behavior i put spawning mops in their pond. Bam, eggs. I took them out and put them into a 15 gal. It was full to the top and had a small pump/filter on it. I put a sponge over the intake. At no point was there problems with fish getting sucked into it, and they spent plenty of time near the bottom, which was over 1' deep.

I should try a spawning mop next time. Problem is that the fish wake up before me and the eggs are already there when I get up in the morning. So I get eggs EVERYWHERE on pretty much every plant, river rock, filter intake etc. Good to know yours didn't have a depth problem.

The filter I prefer is the AquaClear. To avoid having your babies sucked up into the intake you can cut a hole in an extra AquaClear sponge filter insert and stuff the intake in the sponge. This method works good for both fry and shrimp. You can also adjust the AquaClear for heavy or light flow and it works on any size filter. I have an AquaClear 70 running in one of my shrimp tanks and shrimp will sit in the intake sponge and feed with no danger of getting sucked in.

I will go get an extra sponge filter for the AquaClear I have sitting around. I think I have an AquaClear 50. Do you think that will be sufficient for a 20G tank? Or should I get a bigger one?

Do you know when a 20G will become too crowded for 25 babies? I actually dropped them off in Portland at the end of this past week because I'll be traveling over Christmas so my mom is babysitting them.

It should be ok for those 25 one inch babies until you are back next year. If they do get too dirty, just up one or two w/cs per week. One tell tale sign is when you've to do w/c or remove poop daily, then it's time to upgrade tank size or separate them.

You want to cull for bent or crooked spines (poor development, nutrition issues), curled operculums (prone to gill infections), and if there are air bubbles forming by the gills (indication of poorly formed swim bladders). Those are the three major culprits to look for if you aren't wanting to cull for specific breeding traits. :)

I will go get an extra sponge filter for the AquaClear I have sitting around. I think I have an AquaClear 50. Do you think that will be sufficient for a 20G tank? Or should I get a bigger one?

Your AquaClear 50 will be sufficient for your 20 gallon tank. It's even a little bigger than needed for a 20 gallon but it's good because goldfish need the extra filtration.

It should be ok for those 25 one inch babies until you are back next year. If they do get too dirty, just up one or two w/cs per week. One tell tale sign is when you've to do w/c or remove poop daily, then it's time to upgrade tank size or separate them.

Ok, good to know. Thanks again!! Hopefully the addition of the AquaClear will help keep water even cleaner. I'm having my mom change 5 gal of water every other day and siphon any poop before and after every feeding. She is feeding 3 times a day. I saw them on Skype tonight and some of them are quite chubby at about 1/3 inch wide and 3/4 to 1 inch long. Hopefully that is normal for growth - they will be 4 weeks old tomorrow.

You want to cull for bent or crooked spines (poor development, nutrition issues), curled operculums (prone to gill infections), and if there are air bubbles forming by the gills (indication of poorly formed swim bladders). Those are the three major culprits to look for if you aren't wanting to cull for specific breeding traits. :)

Thank you and good to know! I have a couple of questions. I've already culled for bent/crooked spines so good on that. But so far I haven't seen any curled operculums. I heard that these can show up later in development, do know if that is true? If so, should I just cull as I see them develop? Also for the air bubbles forming by the gills, I'm not sure what to look for here. Are the bubbles visible at all times? Is this something I can cull for at 4 weeks?

In addition, I have culled for triple tail/fused anals and for a drooping caudal fin since I've heard it tends to make the fish off balance with the tail drooping off the back.

Your AquaClear 50 will be sufficient for your 20 gallon tank. It's even a little bigger than needed for a 20 gallon but it's good because goldfish need the extra filtration.

Great and thanks!! I will probably add either an extra sponge or biomax in place of the carbon insert. Any suggestions on which is better to add?

I only use the sponges in my AquaClear filters. I put two in the box and one over the intake. That takes care of both Biological Filtration and Mechanical Filtration. I don't use the carbon insert which is for Chemical filtration. Chemical filtration is the process by which dissolved organic compounds are removed from the water.

By doing regular water changes you're removing the dissolved organic compounds and don't really need the carbon insert. The biomax insert helps with Biological filtration.

They say that you should replace the sponge inserts every two month but it's not needed. They just tell you that so you will buy more so they can make more money. I've gone years without replacing the sponge/Foam inserts. The sponge inserts do need to be cleaned every month or two. When cleaning the sponge inserts squeeze them out good in tank water. If you rinse them with tap water you will kill the bacteria and cause a mine cycle.

I only use the sponges in my AquaClear filters. I put two in the box and one over the intake. That takes care of both Biological Filtration and Mechanical Filtration. I don't use the carbon insert which is for Chemical filtration. Chemical filtration is the process by which dissolved organic compounds are removed from the water.

By doing regular water changes you're removing the dissolved organic compounds and don't really need the carbon insert. The biomax insert helps with Biological filtration.

They say that you should replace the sponge inserts every two month but it's not needed. They just tell you that so you will buy more so they can make more money. I've gone years without replacing the sponge/Foam inserts. The sponge inserts do need to be cleaned every month or two. When cleaning the sponge inserts squeeze them out good in tank water. If you rinse them with tap water you will kill the bacteria and cause a mine cycle.

Oh yeah. Mini cycle = BAD. Thanks for your thoughts. I will use 2 sponge filters on the bottom with biomax on top. I'm not a fan of carbon either unless taking out meds. Btw, have you used purigen? I was thinking of throwing a packet of that in between the sponges and the biomax.

I've never used purigen. It's for chemical filteration same as carbon but possibly better. It removes dissolved organic compounds which is also removed when you do water changes. It might help your water quaility but it doesn't replace water changes.