If you want a small container pond

shakaho

I actually had two of these ordered last summer. At that time they said they had a two month waiting time. Two months came and went, so I asked what had happened. They ran out and didn't bother to tell me. They did notify me when they got new ones. These tubs are very popular with breeders. I'm thinking about using one to make a bog filter for the front pond.

• 2 months later...

I use two of Laguna Injection Molded 195g ponds (their largest size) but have issues with them bowing when filled to the max. I think that's important to point out in case anyone was wondering. I'm still happy with them for my purposes. Great bang for your buck and good shape to work with. I have the 300g Rubbermaid Stocking tank coming soon and will have something to compare it to. It is my recommendation when going with an outdoor setup is to use the largest size you can.

The Rubbermaid is way stronger. It's built to be shoved and kicked by large farm animals. The basins designed for fish are much more attractive, and rectangles, as you say, are easier to work with.

Where did you find those ponds? Laguna doesn't sell direct and their "dealer locater" only lists all the big box pet stores, none of which have them or will order them.

The Rubbermaid is way stronger. It's built to be shoved and kicked by large farm animals. The basins designed for fish are much more attractive, and rectangles, as you say, are easier to work with.

Where did you find those ponds? Laguna doesn't sell direct and their "dealer locater" only lists all the big box pet stores, none of which have them or will order them.

I bought them from a lfs (not big box) that was using them to display koi fish for retail. They were able to order them new through the Hagen catalog but I was able to buy the ones they had for a discount for $200 each (new was $280). The 300g rubbermaid stock tank I ordered this past weekend, which I've always been curious about, was $164 delivered (originally $200 but I had a $50 off coupon code). It was cheap enough for me to take the plunge and have a little fun. The stock tank is ugly and odd shaped but I'll try and work around it. I'm going to try painting the sides first but it looks like I might just end up buying stack planter stones to cover the facade to make it look more presentable.

That's a great buy on the Rubbermaid! I wanted to get one, sink it a foot into the ground and surround with retaining wall blocks like these. Instead, I seem to keep fighting with liners.

Let me know if you'd like the site and coupon I ordered from. I hate liners and will never use them. If I go big, then I'm going sealed concrete or shotcrete.

Edited by SumoKoi

My bog filter has a leak where water is coming out over a spot in the liner I trimmed too close. :mad: I am currently emptying it so I can build up the sides a bit and seal the concrete. The advantage of living in a warm climate is that you can seal a concrete pond without frost busting it up, so I'm going to try it. We haven't had any sinkholes in my area (knock on wood).

What's shotcrete?

Yes please, on the site and coupon.

My bog filter has a leak where water is coming out over a spot in the liner I trimmed too close. :mad: I am currently emptying it so I can build up the sides a bit and seal the concrete. The advantage of living in a warm climate is that you can seal a concrete pond without frost busting it up, so I'm going to try it. We haven't had any sinkholes in my area (knock on wood).

What's shotcrete?

Yes please, on the site and coupon.

Shotcrete is "drier" mixture of concrete that is shot under pressure onto rebar/meshing that is used to build the vertical walls of pools and faux rock form. Think of the rock work at Disneyland rides. You can do a search on youtube to see it being applied. Some Koi enthusiasts will do purpose built ponds using shotcrete.

I will send you a private message w/ the site and coupon code.

*Apparently there is no private message function on this site so I'll just post it here. The 300g stocking tank is 199.99 listed on the Zoro tools website. The coupon code for $50 off a $200 purchase is FX671A. I had to buy a pack of razor blades for a little over a dollar to put the amount over $200 for the coupon to work. The final amount came to $164 delivered, which is a steal!

• Admin

*Apparently there is no private message function on this site so I'll just post it here.

yes there is but you have to work your way to have it... or become a subscribers.. This keeps spammers off the site... Please if you have questions about function of the site there is a How to area,

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94336-user-permission-levels-new-to-the-forum/

dont assume anything.

Thanks.

koko

I use two of Laguna Injection Molded 195g ponds (their largest size) but have issues with them bowing when filled to the max. I think that's important to point out in case anyone was wondering. I'm still happy with them for my purposes. Great bang for your buck and good shape to work with. I have the 300g Rubbermaid Stocking tank coming soon and will have something to compare it to. It is my recommendation when going with an outdoor setup is to use the largest size you can.

The biggest laguna's are actually 345 gallons not 195 ... their website has been wrong for years.

If you build a timber surround for the big lagunas they don't bow and are much stronger. They look nicer too I think.

IMG_2322.jpg

So where do you find the big lagunas?

I'm always happy when someone posts a tank with a nice surround. They look so good and are actually within even my pathetic carpentry skills.