Telescope eye trauma or sickness or both?

I started to do a water change and noticed my telescope had a red spot and some torn looking skin on her eyeball. Normally I inspect my fish every day for anything unusual but I hadn't seen the fish since Monday. This injury/sickness is either 48 hours old, or she possible got her eyeball sucked by the draining tube and it's just an hour or so old. However, she does have some spots on her fins that I've taken pictures of but haven't had time to put to the forum. And I just now noticed that she had red streaks on her lower caudal fins in the same placee but cannot say for sure that those are new. Since something is wrong for sure with her eye, I might be acting like a hypocondriac.

While doing the water change, I took her out of the main tank and she's in a bucket for the moment. I wasn't sure what to do with her, but it's easier to get fish out while the water is being changed. Since she's been in the bucket, part of the torn looking skin has fallen off. There is just now one piece hanging from the top of her eyeball.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Test kit has "NH3/NH4+" test (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) <.3
  • * "NH3/NH4+"(Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap): <.3
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8-8.5
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8-8.5

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra test, Drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquatop CF400 and CF500 with UV, 125 and 175 gallons
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? tap water conditioner and bacteria w each change
  • * Water temperature? 72 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 5-7 days, usually 5, 75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Changed just an hour ago
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? tank is 75 g, running for 1 year
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 fish, 2 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? home made gel food, pro gold, peas, blood worms on occasion, fed twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? none
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none recently, just prior prazi treatment
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) two fish died this summer, unknown cause. treated whole tank with prazi.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Thin red streaks that have been there for a long time, bumps on same fins that have been present for several weeks all on lower caudal fins.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Acts the same as usual.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi treatment was completed weeks ago after two fish died.

Photos of the fish when I first got her a year ago (taken by the seller):

tumblr_me8bqkzu3H1qh3zbj.jpgtumblr_me8br95h0p1qh3zbj.jpg

and some pictures of the tail bumps:

tumblr_me8cneIjIg1qh3zbj.jpg

Edited by meatisadelicacy

• Supporter

ok.. i am sorry that your fish suffered an injury to its eye. i had a fish once that i dropped by accident transferring it from qt to main tank.. his eye totally deflated, but he was able to still see through it. he was a black telescope.. similar large eyes to what your fish has.

it looks like a deep scrape more than a bang, so i think that could be just superficial blood. you did the right thing to remove him from the main tank as that bleeding would have caused the others to try and feed from it.

for now, it would be good if you can set up an 8-10 gallon QT. you will need to add an airstone or bubbler and salt to begin with at 0.1% and then 12 hours later, up to 0.2%.. i would add melafix to the water to assist in keeping that wound sterile. i feel it will heal up nicely and that the eye will not be compromised.

Hello,

I don't see your video. Could you check, please? How many rounds of Prazi did you do?

I couldn't get the video to post directly so I linked it, or so I thought. Let me try again.

i could see the vid.. no problems.

ok.. i am sorry that your fish suffered an injury to its eye. i had a fish once that i dropped by accident transferring it from qt to main tank.. his eye totally deflated, but he was able to still see through it. he was a black telescope.. similar large eyes to what your fish has.

it looks like a deep scrape more than a bang, so i think that could be just superficial blood. you did the right thing to remove him from the main tank as that bleeding would have caused the others to try and feed from it.

for now, it would be good if you can set up an 8-10 gallon QT. you will need to add an airstone or bubbler and salt to begin with at 0.1% and then 12 hours later, up to 0.2%.. i would add melafix to the water to assist in keeping that wound sterile. i feel it will heal up nicely and that the eye will not be compromised.

Hello,

I don't see your video. Could you check, please? How many rounds of Prazi did you do?

I couldn't get the video to post directly so I linked it, or so I thought. Let me try again.

i could see the vid.. no problems.

Sorry to hear about your bubble eye.

Okay so the link to the youtube vid does work?

And I thought it looked like she got sucked by the tube, but then I was like, OMG SHE HAS THOSE TAIL BUMPS and then I saw the question about streaks and she does have streaks (very light and have been there for months) so I wasn't sure if something more might be going on.

Prazi - sorry for not answering. I did four rounds with this schedule:

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

So qt with 8 to 10 gallons, melafix, salt, airstone, I can do all that right now. How often should I do water changes? Every day?

I see it now. Do you have a video or pics of the full tank? I suspect that he probably scraped himself on an ornament...

I do have a piece of driftwood in there that could have done it. I'll go get a picture of it.

i would be aiming for 100% daily wc's for the first week due to that eye injury. i feel the salt will assist in resolving the tail issue also.

What are those things on her tail? None of the other fish have them.

tumblr_me8evtIKN11qh3zbj.jpg

Before I forget again, thank you both for your help.

I just peaked at her and the red spot already looks better. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she got tube sucked. I'll put a nylon over the tube for all my water changes from now on, just to be sure.

When did you do the Prazi? (Sorry, I should have asked that in the last post.)

I'm not 100% sure what those spots, but I think it is associated with parasites on the fins. So, let's try salting to 0.2% as suggested, and perhaps another round or two of Prazi.

When did you do the Prazi? (Sorry, I should have asked that in the last post.)

I'm not 100% sure what those spots, but I think it is associated with parasites on the fins. So, let's try salting to 0.2% as suggested, and perhaps another round or two of Prazi.

The prazi ended several weeks ago. A month at least. I don't know exactly when.

Hmmm, OK.

Let's do the 0.2% salting, although I am going to want you to do a couple of salt dips over the course of the next week. Do you have enough aquarium salt, or some other suitable salt to use? :)

Hmmm, OK.

Let's do the 0.2% salting, although I am going to want you to do a couple of salt dips over the course of the next week. Do you have enough aquarium salt, or some other suitable salt to use? :)

Sure do. I have a big box of API aquarium salt that I just cracked open tonight. I've never done a salt dip so it makes me a little nervous.

tumblr_mebwy4zcOQ1qh3zbj.jpg

tumblr_mebwymtECz1qh3zbj.jpg

The eye looks about the same. Maybe it's better, I can't say for sure though because I check in on her so often. Not worse though. Still thin red streaks in her tail and I couldn't feel any bumps on the tail, but when I do her change tomorrow night I'll stick her in a plastic bag so I can see if they're still there.

She looks pretty good. It will at least a week before the red will disappear from her eye. The thing that we want to be on the look out for is the sudden enlargement of the affected eye (indicating infection), or large red streaks in the caudal fin.

Water changed again. 10 gallon qt, salting at 0.2%, melafix, airstone. The bumps or spots on her tail seem to be completely gone. There are still some red streaks but definitely less now. The eyeball looks the same. Redness. She has a good appetite and is feisty when I move her.