Repashy for the first time!

anastasiam

Hello eveyone!!

I made some Repashy for the first time today... It stinks :blink: !!

Its kind of a silly question, but here it is: How do you properly feed a goldfish Repashy? Do you weigh out 1% of the fish's body weight in food, or do you just cut a little cube and let them graze on it all day?

Thanks in advance!!

If you put a big cube in the tank intending for them to graze on it all day long, it would probably be gone in 10 minutes. At least I know with my fish it would! :lol3

I cut the gel into mouth-sized pieces for them and feed them 1-2 pieces about 4 times throughout the day. I am aiming for about 1-2% of their body weight in food each day. I definitely think this should be split up into at least two meals.

You can weigh out 2% of their body weight in Repashy so that you know approximately how much is the max amount to be fed daily. Then you can divide it up (or not) however you like.

I am actually only feeding about 1% of their body weight in Repashy daily, but that's because I'm not really aiming for crazy growth. :)

I am just not scientific enough.......I have fed Mazuri for awhile & am now feeding Rapashy...when I make either I make a batch..spread it on a cookie sheet then cut it into flat squares after it has sit. Then I bag in in freezer bag (I keep enough for 2-3 days in a little container in the frig). I take out a chunk in the morning and feed them. Repeat in the evening. Now & then I get the urge and pop in some bloodworms. (I even occasionally get the urge & drop in a little Mazuri.)

Edited by Jeana727

Oh good! I was worried about her munching too much of the soilent green at once lol. So if she's about 2.7oz, about how much should I give her?

Sorry, math was never my best subject :rofl

Edited for your question:

Na I haven't fed it to her yet... I wanted to be sure I wouldn't feed her too much and make her sick lol

Edited by anastasiam

It should be fine if you just give a piece that is a large mouthfull, if that makes sense LOL. Small enough to be one bite, but big enough to be a generous serving. If you just have one fish, you could cut up the chunk into smaller pieces so she can graze. For me it's SO much easier to give them each their one big chunk each so I know everyone ate. Doing this a few times a day works great. :)

Edited by Ms.Jenny

If you put a big cube in the tank intending for them to graze on it all day long, it would probably be gone in 10 minutes. At least I know with my fish it would!

I cut the gel into mouth-sized pieces for them and feed them 1-2 pieces about 4 times throughout the day. I am aiming for about 1-2% of their body weight in food each day. I definitely think this should be split up into at least two meals.

This is exactly what I do too, 2 or 3 bites 2x a day and the 3rd meal bloodworms or progold. And some kind of veggie each meal too. I found 1% was way too much food for mine. I was weighing it for awhile but now I have stopped since I always give them the same amount.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by cmclien

Thanks! I'll aim for a mouthful at a time then lol.. I'd be worried about her grazing honestly. I gave her an orange slice once and she tried to eat it all in one sitting! She's a little piggy!

Thanks! I'll aim for a mouthful at a time then lol.. I'd be worried about her grazing honestly. I gave her an orange slice once and she tried to eat it all in one sitting! She's a little piggy!

Mine are exactly the same way, nothing sits, they eat it ALL and then bottom sit because they get constipated from over eating so I have learned my lesson.

So I came home from class today after feeding her the Repashy for about a day and a half now. What do I find when I come in? EGGS! She liked the Soilent Green so much it gave her eggs :rofl !

I guess the eggs taste just as good!

Guest sharpchick

Also, don't forget that the Repashy won't just sit there waiting to be eaten for as long as it takes; it will dissolve in your tank.

I'm curious about this statement, because it's very different from what's on the side of the bag.

Finished gel can last for 24 hours or longer, promoting natural grazing and reducing water pollution.

My fish don't let their little cube last that long. They were addicted from the first cube I dropped in the tank.

But are you saying the information on the package is inaccurate?

I don't think the package label is inaccurate; it can probably last that long, but some of it will have dissolved during that time also, causing your water to get cloudy.

In any case, unless you put a ridiculous amount of soilent green in the tank, it is not possible to have it last long enough in there for the goldfish to graze :rofl

It's water soluble because it's mixed with water to create. But, the gel traps the water which will greatly slow down its dissolving time. I think I'll throw some in a cup tonight and see how long it takes to dissolve, just for fun :). Anecdotally, my water is clearer and not tinted since I started using Soilent Green full time 3 weeks ago. I previously was feeding a wafer food and when I did WC the water was tinted pink. Also, the sponge in my HOB filter has not changed color. So I think it's dissolving less than other foods. But, like Alex said, it will dissolve eventually. I imagine the warmer the tank the faster it will happen.