How long can I go without changing my water?

BriansMom

I am moving on Friday 3 hours away and I really want to leave my fish home until christmas break to make the move easier.

If I did my last water change (20% at most because of high pH) Friday morning,

could they go until the 21st of December?

2 medium and 1 small fancies in a 50g

How often should I have someone go feed them and how much?

Could you do any amount of water change in-between? The nitrates are really going to be built up to dangerous levels if you leave it three weeks.

If there is no way to have the water changed, I think it could possibly work if they are only fed once a week or so. I would try to do daily 20% water changes in the meantime, to get the water as fresh as possible, and maybe begin fasting or feeding very sparingly now so their digestive system slows down a little. It would definitely be better if you could get someone to change 20% of the water once a week, but if that's not possible you will just have to compensate the best you can. Small meals, feeding a lot less, and starting with as fresh as water as possible will probably work alright. :)

Agh, dang it, I was really hoping that would work. I really dont think they would be up to doing water changes, but I can try. They are doing soooo much for me already... I havent even asked them to feed them yet.

I might just have to bring them down there the first day but I worry that it isnt going to be very smooth for them with me having to drive 3 hours, meet with the landlord to do paper work and then driving across the city to the place.

I have a couple small plants so I doubt they would help.

Ok, I will do my best to find someone to help. Do you think 2, 20% WC would be sufficient in that span?

In my opinion you could probably squeak by with that until you can do one large water change when you are settled and then get back to weeklies, but there are a lot of people here more experienced than me that might chime in.

Edited by AnnaMNR

Feed very sparingly and do several small WCs before you leave as MsJenny suggested to get your nitrates as low as possible.

Do you have a decent idea of how quickly your nitrates rise? I have 3 small fancies in a 40 gallon and I think I would be fairly comfortable that with a small amount of food and a couple 20% WCs my nitrates wouldn't be off the charts after 3 weeks.

Also do you have any idea of what the pH is at you new place? Will a large WC be an option once you get them there?

I wouldnt be able to give advice on this without knowing the current levels of nitrates and ammonia in the tank. If the water tests very clean then i think it could be done, with minimal feeding.

I know, the pH drives me insane! I wish I could just do a 95% wc like I used to all the time. The new city's pH is 8.3ish from what I have researched which is higher than I had hoped but still way better than 9+ back home. I think I might bribe my little brother to do WC/feedings when I am gone- even pay him to do more than 2... it is just hard to trust an 18 year old boy that doesnt know anything about fish :blink:

How often should I feed them? Twice a week?

Oh and I forgot to add... I am not sure about the levels. To be honest, I dont really test my water anymore. I just make sure to do frequent, small amounts because it is the best I could do with the ph issues. I tested it last week and I know ammonia/nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 10-20? Though the water changes have been slacking since I have been busy with the move/ work :(

Edited by Thea

Does the pH change if you store your water? Are you buffering your tank? I'm trying to figure out why your tank pH is different from the tap.

I'm thinking you could get a big garbage can or something and store/buffer enough tap water to make a big water change before you go, Then you could refill the container for water changes while you are gone.

Yeah, the pH issue has been a mess. My tap water always was 7.2 and so was my tank until one day I did a typical 80% water change (that use to be my norm, loved having a constant clean tank) and all of a sudden my fish were like free falling and turning around weird in my tank. Sure enough, the pH was a 9. GAH. I bought some Seachem powder that is supposed to make your pH go down and when I tested it, it was going down, but there were some ill effects with the fish. I was discussing it with Alex at one point in a d&d thread and he thought me doing a 10% water change every few days wouldnt hurt and would keep the tank water clean and that is what I have been doing and it has been working great.

I talked to my brother and he said he is willing to go there whenever and do water changes! Woo! Though it does scare me that he is going to goof something up. I am going to have to make a strong list!

Which way the switches go for water to go in/out

DO NOT SUCK UP A FISH

Same temperature!

DO NOT OVER FILL

Do not take too much water out

May not seem like a lot to us but an 18 year old brother.... idk....