Marshmallow Is Laying Eggs!

Dying_Phoenix

Thanks everyone! Glad to see you're enjoying the thread. I always get excited about baby fish and what my fish are doing. Unfortunately, my friends probably get tired of hearing about all of it. Lol.

When i got off work 80% or so of the eggs were hatched and there were babies clinging and stuck everywhere in that orange bowl. The water stank..but I had no time since I had to go to a wedding. I put a couple buckets of fresh treated water in the clean storage tub and floated the bowl to even the temps to get them out of the smelly water asap.

When i got home the babies weren't really clinging anymore but laying on the bottom and rolling around when moved. I figured they really needed out of the stinky water( and I kind of thought they were dead or dying ) so I dumped it into the fresh water in the bin and refilled it again with the fresher water for the others to hatch into. I hope the already hatched babies aren't dead but they are kinda just laying around lifelessly. Hopefully they're just resting and doing what they do before free swimming.

Edited by Dying_Phoenix

I'm not sure if anyone's reading but updating anyway!

The other day I changed out the bowl the babies were in by draining the water low then emptying it into a bucket of the same temp but fresh water in a new bowl. Lost a few babies the next day. I wonder if the water changes are hard on them and I should lessen them but they're in a bowl..so I worry.

The second, younger batch of babies are loose in the tank and seem to be thriving so far. Hard to get pics of them..but here's a few of them.

babies162.png

Marshmallow is spawning AGAIN! Ahhh! Lol. I now know that every other goldfish but maybe ONE are all males besides her cause they're all chasing her relentlessly. There's eggs in the plants.

Edited by Dying_Phoenix

Thank you! Your comments on the forum are always making me laugh btw. ( That is SO not me being a creepy lurker )

I'll update with more pics soon. The first round of babies are getting bigger. I lost a few for unknown reasons. I dunno if this is just normal or I have some sort of a problem but I have praziquantel powder on the way and I plan to worm every tank I have including the fry. I'm also running out of Hikari First Bites. I fed that and frozen baby brine shrimp. I have decapsulated brine shrimp eggs on the way too and I plan to see how those work out for feeding.

Marshmallow is spawning again. The boys are chasing her all over as I type. Does anyone know if this is normal? She's on overdrive. I swear she's spawned like close to 10 times.

Seems like everybody's girly fish are making like rabbits. Maybe it should be making like goldies, cuz they make rabbits look like pikers :D If they ever come up with a goldie IUD or something, I buying stock. This forum alone would make me rich. :tomuch:

LOL. I dunno, then we couldn't see all those cute little babies. And we'd have to hear the ladies start complaining from being bloated and having weight gain on the IUD!

Here's the promised pics. I used a better camera today.

This is the bin I have a BUNCH in

Frybin2.jpg

Closer look

Frybin1.jpg

And the fry in the tank ( they're older fry but in two different age groups. I dumped the white bowl I had the first fry into the tank to mingle )

Frytank1.jpg

So cute!! I can see double tails really easily now.

Frytank2.jpg

What types of goldfish are coming out. If you get any cute oranda .... Send me them :D i love oranda

There should be some orandas. The mother was a red-cap oranda and the fathers were either ryukin or oranda ( my nicest males ). The mom was a chain store fish but the dad's were from a quality, privately owned LFS with some nice fish so I hope to have some gorgeous babies. You're welcome to have whatever you like! I plan to send what fry I can't find homes for to the good fish stores that I know will take good care of them. I'm lucky because there's two within a reasonable driving distance that I visit frequently.

Thank you all. I will keep this updated with plenty of pics. I can't wait to see how they turn out and their colors! One father was a black oranda with some nice wen that's going to cover his entire face and be huge. The other male is my favorite red and white short tailed ryukin with a really nice round shape. He's so wobbly and cute. I'm hoping for calico orandas too, as I think one of the batches of eggs was fertilized by one of my calico ryukins and even a comet. So there should be a variety!

Edited by Dying_Phoenix

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update. I'll get new pics soon. The babies are doing great and I still have hundreds upon hundreds of them! The majority that are in the tub can't have a heater and I'm noticing their growth rate is much slower. I've added a light and tons more plants to the tank and the fish seem to love picking at them. The babies from the first batch now have dorsal fins and I can pick out a few single tails. I don't know if these will be comet goldies or fancies with bad fins. *shrug* Time will tell.

I've also noticed that a couple have bent spines and deformities on their gill plates or stomachs. These I'll just leave for now but if they live I'll probably cull them ( if my bf doesn't beg me to let him have them, he likes the weird ones. lol )

Guest animal1998

Dang it! My goldfish are only like 2 inches. Bubba has been showing some interest in Rosie but not as fiercely as in some videos. I would really like some fry soon, what would increase my chances, a single tail or fancy and male or female. I'd like to add it soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Update time!

The oldest fry are 2-3 months old. I'm not sure which batch they're from exactly, as I had a lot of die off. These two are the biggest, as they have the ten gallon all to themselves. Their growth could have been much higher if the tank had a proper heater but I let it slide and kept the cheap heater in there.

This guy is a healthy little porker. The dorsal fin looks ragged but it's actually just missing pigment. Looks like it may be going though a color change.

100_07251_zpsdd0380de.jpg

And his/her sibling, Stumpy. Who has no tail and I didn't have the heart to cull. Time will tell if this little fighter will make it but he has so far!

100_07281_zpsd8cf9123.jpg

100_07191_zps278ba57e.jpg

I also have the red tub chock FULL of babies but their growth rate is much slower. I'm seeing that the heat really plays a role in the growth rate. Also I do believe that the fish in the 10 gallon died off due to less water changes. I was afraid of temperature fluctuation shock. The fry in the tub were easier to change the water, as I keep a second tub full of fresh water that's room temp and just pour a bucket in every day. There is much less die-off in the tub.

Edited by Dying_Phoenix