Sign in to follow this  
Charms

Nygel Murray has a swollen mouth and weird eyes!

**Nygel has been in this tank for at least 9/10 months now. Hubby tells me yesterday that he noticed Nygel’s eyes look silver. What? Ok, you know how you always say he is a dragon scale, which is why he has that cool silvery look? Well it looks like that silvery color is spreading over his eyes now, I noticed that a few days ago... Oh and I forgot to tell you that his mouth looks swollen too. WHAT?!?! - That’s how I was informed of this issue yesterday. Lol. I tried to include all info I thought was important… This pic is from early October.

1350616879708-1.jpg

Housing

What size is your tank? 10g

What temperature is your tank? Not sure

Does your tank have a filter? Aquaclear 20

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Is your tank heated? Yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 otos, unknown number of mts. The mts have been in since the beginning of October. Otos were in there before the betta.

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets, bloodworms.

How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 pellets at night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every few weeks as the tank is in a very hard to reach location. I was actually going to break it down, rescape it and move it to an easier to reach location… Now I am waiting to find out what I need to do for Nygel.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%, will be able to change much more often once it is in the new location.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Eyes look cloudy/silver, Mouth is very swollen.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Acting normal.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Hubby noticed a few days ago. Just brought to my attention yesterday evening.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No

Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had no tail when I got him, but it grew back beautifully. I never treated with anything other than a good environment & consistent diet.

How old is your fish (approximately)? He was full grown when I acquired him about a year ago from a pet store.

These pics are from yesterday evening.

20121126_162806-1.jpg

20121126_162908-1.jpg

20121126_163945.jpg

I know that the luminescense of the scales can cover the eyes to blur vision. I have no clue what the swollen lips would be in related to.

Can you possibly post your params?

I know that the luminescense of the scales can cover the eyes to blur vision. I have no clue what the swollen lips would be in related to.

Can you possibly post your params?

I actually think that the swollen mouth is a symptom of a strong bacterial infection in Bettas.

Params would be great, if you can get them!

I've not been home all day to test the params.

My lfs guru says it is most likely a bacterial infection causing the eye issues... he's not sure about the mouth but hopefully this treatment will help..

I got KanaPlex, Brackish Salt & Atison's Betta Spa. Will do a 30% water change then add the meds & stuffs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

are bettas PH sensitive like goldfish?, i know they can tolerate a lower PH, but what if it was way low? would they react like goldfish do with their funky slime coat issues due to acidic PH?

if yes, that would answer the white coating issue all over body eyes and fins.. but i am not sure about the fat pucker that Nygel is currently sporting.

The eye issue looks to be the iridescence covering the eye, it's extremely common in dragon scale betta and betta with heavy irid (metallics) that does not look like part of the illness to me. I agree there might be a bacterial issue with the lips but if it wasn't sudden the lips could also be the scaling going haywire, dragon scale betta are really prone to deformities and tumors as they grow.