Sign in to follow this  
larryngu

I hope this is a good stand for my new 40 gallon.

My forty gallon will be on a computer desk exactly like this. I bought this desk new last year.

I think it will be ok. Does anyone see problems with my stand?

You cant tell by the picture but the table has six feet altogether.

sauder%20410851.jpg

Edited by larryngu

I'm not sure I like this idea. The desk is too big for the tank, and so the weight will not be distributed evenly. I would get something that fits the stand.

Ok. I'm buying a new stand then.

Edited by larryngu

I think that stand would work.

Goodness you are quick lol

Acrylic tanks are supposed to be on flat, solid surfaces, and that stand is not solid on top. It probably would be OK, but I would get a piece of wood cut to fit the top of the stand, and then put the tank on the wood.

The other problem with that stand is you have no where to put your supplies. I love having a couple doors where behind them not only do I have food, medicine, water test kit, I even have a bucket, gloves, gravel cleaner etc. Its handy to have it all right there at the tank :) Its amazing how many supplies add up over time! I have a closet where I keep additional stuff. My hubby now calls it the fishy room.

I've got this one for my 40g: http://www.petsmart....tAvailInUS%2FNo

Not saying you should get this one, but something like this with room for supplies and the shelf underneath is handy for my airpump cords etc.

Edited by cmclien

When I had an open stand, I bought a pair of pretty baskets to hold my supplies, and they fit under the stand. :)

I have that specific stand, and it is fine for my glass tank but the bars on the bottom are not made to support an acrylic tank, as they are around half an inch too low. You may have to place something solid between the bars and the place where the bottom of your tank is. A thick piece of plywood that is waterproofed and cut to fit the inside of the stand should be alright, IMO, per Shawn's suggestion. It's a sturdy stand that can be adjusted to level where the floor is not so, and like Shawn also did I have a pair of nice little pretty boxes to keep my supplies in that fit under the stand. I'm happy with the stand, and definitely think you'll like it with a little work make sure your acrylic aquarium is stable.

That's interesting because the bars look flush in the picture. If the cross bars are not flush with the top and the tank has no inside support, it definitely is not OK for acrylic. A piece of plywood that fits inside the outer frame would be good (I wouldn't bother with waterproofing -- water would have to run down and under the tank). Or you could just a piece that fits the entire top (then you might want to waterproof it). Either way, make sure it's flat.

If you do the inset piece and it's not perfectly flat, you can get a piece of foam insulation to put under the entire tank. Many people put foam under acrylic tanks to adsorb any unevenness in the surface. I got a 4x8 piece at the hardware store and cut it to fit with a box cutter. Because the ugly edge of the foam was visible in my setup, I got black duct tape, and wrapped the edge with that.

Also, I can't remember if I said this, but you have to be very careful cleaning acrylic. Acrylic tanks really are stunningly clear, but they scratch easily. I clean mine only with a soft cotton towel.

I have that stand and am very happy with it. I like your basket idea. I run the cords along the back with magnetic clips to keep them out of sight.

I got two rubber floor mats and cut them to size to place in between the tank and stand. It works nicely, and you can't even notice them.

floor-mats-for-aquarium.jpg

I have that stand and am very happy with it. I like your basket idea. I run the cords along the back with magnetic clips to keep them out of sight.

I got two rubber floor mats and cut them to size to place in between the tank and stand. It works nicely, and you can't even notice them.

floor-mats-for-aquarium.jpg

Is your tank that you put on top of there glass or acrylic?

( What I'll end up doing is going the plywood method).

(What I'll end up doing is going the plywood method).

Good. :)

Another option instead of plywood is pre-cut Mastercraft Aspen or pine. I use that nicer wood for many projects. It's sold at many hardware stores, it comes in a variety of unusual lengths and widths, and it's usually wrapped in plastic. It's just a lot easier to handle plywood, the wood is better quality (flatter and with fewer imperfections than regular boards) and the edges are nice, which will be important for this stand. :) I just got back from buying some aspen boards tonight to make some nice trim for my bathroom.

on hold with petco to try and cancel. otherwise i can do a in store return.

today is cyber monday.. Been on hold for an hour.

On my reciept, it said my credit card wont be charged until product is shipped.

Do you think it is a good idea to stop payment now?

Item hasn't shipped yet.

today is cyber monday.. Been on hold for an hour.

On my reciept, it said my credit card wont be charged until product is shipped.

Do you think it is a good idea to stop payment now?

Item hasn't shipped yet.

If you got the free shipping, I'd do an in store return. There's no way to stop a payment other than a dispute and that will not necessarily work out in your favor. I'm not sure if they can do a dispute before the charge goes through.

Is your tank that you put on top of there glass or acrylic?

My tank is glass.

Item will shipped to me. I cannot cancel.

I will get a full refund when I return stand to the store. Shipping was free.

664255000095C.jpg

http://www.petco.com...at=OnSiteSearch

Notice that the dimensions are listed wrongly . 19.37" L X 37.37" W X 28.25" H

It should be 37.37 LENGTH and 19.37 WIDTH.

I just bought this NEW stand.

Edited by larryngu

Thats nice, I like that :) is that the new one? I also like how it shows that its for 50-65 tank size. I am on my second tank stand and now am wishing I would have bought a bigger stand because most likely 3 fish will out grow my 40 in a couple of years and then instead of just being able to upgrade the tank I will have to do both again. The only good thing about having the extra 20g stand around is it makes a great place to put a qt tank!

Edited by cmclien