Sign in to follow this  
dakotak

Pond filtration?

So I eventually I want to get a pond strictly for single tails and I was wondering about the filtration. Is it the same rule for goldfish in a tank( x2 the size of the tank and x10 for the GPH)?

So I eventually I want to get a pond strictly for single tails and I was wondering about the filtration. Is it the same rule for goldfish in a tank( x2 the size of the tank and x10 for the GPH)?

I know that it's not, especially because it becomes impossible to supply 10,000 gph to a 1000 gallon pond :rofl

It is also unnecessary.

I kinda figured. XD That would have to be an amazing system.

What would be good filtration for a pond?

I know that it's not, especially because it becomes impossible to supply 10,000 gph to a 1000 gallon pond :rofl

It is also unnecessary.

I don't entirely agree, I run a 3000 galons per hour pump on my 500 gallon pond and it is only just in balance. If I could redo all the plumbing to use 4inch stormwater piping instead of the largest PVC which is 2" then I would go double that rate at about 5000 or 6000 gallons per hour. At the moment the 2" PVC is what is holding the system back from going any larger gph.

I feel the bigger the better, they will thank you for it... The Koi guys will tell you to go as high GPH as you can manage, the higher the better. The more filtration the better, bottom drain, surface skimmer, UV filter, settlement chamber, several S&G filters in series or better still kaldnes fluid bed filters if you can stomach the cost...

Edited by Lillee

While I would agree that bigger pond and bigger (appropriately outfitted) filters are better, I definitely do not agree that higher gph is better. After, the slower the water is passing through the media, the better. I actually set my AquaClears on the slower flow rate.

In addition, the requirements for koi and goldfish in terms of water flow are very different. I'm sure shakaho will correct me, or have more to say once she sees this. :)

UV filters are nice to have, but not necessary. Of course it's fun to have all the toys and bells and whistles, but I don't know that they are really all that better than a pond/tank that doesn't have them.

The UV filter does one thing only that I can see that has benefit, it clears the water so you can see your fish! Otherwise it's a green murky mess and my babies seem to be stressed out with this, they stop eating and are very jumpy because they are used to seeing everything around them. When it's cloudy they sort of are blind.

I agree with flow rate, but at these extremely high gph's when we are talking ponds, when running this high a gph through 55gal barrel filters, the flow rate through the surface area of the filter (approx 1.5ft diameter) is relatively slow. You are mistaking 3000gph to flow through a small tube when in fact it is slowly seeping over quite a large surface area at a very slow rate relative to the speed travelling through the small pipes.

Don't quote me but when I did research for my filters, the max gph that can be run through a 55gal barrel is about 6000 gph or something like that before it starts to become a fluid bed itself or glogs up too quickly, something like that. Hence plumbing them in series.

Of course all this is optional, you can simply dig a big hole in the ground and provided that you have a large enough body of water with an eco system of plants to match, the fish will thrive. I think you'll find though that this optimum water volume size to achieve balanced echo system is far more than 10,000 galons... more like a miniature lake, fully planted edges etc.

I also disagree that Koi aren't different from goldfish. Yes goldies are heartier and can survive in less than optimum environments (bless them) but if you keep them in clean, clear water with plenty of food twice daily you will see that they will thrive and grow to large sizes and display extremely beautiful colours. If you google pictures of how humongous goldfish get when the koi guys keep them in their ponds with all the "bells and whistles", you'll know what I mean that they will "thank you for it". They call them "the little guys" lol

Edited by Lillee

We don't disagree that goldfish can grow quite large and can have amazing colors. (Note: I belong to a goldfish forum :rofl). Having said that, when kept in the most optimal of conditions, a koi will dwarf a goldfish.

In any case, that was not the difference I was talking about. I remember shakaho saying that koi do better in high water flow, as opposed to goldfish, who are do better in calmer waters.

I can see why a UV is necessary with your set up. If I remember correctly from the pictures, there isn't much by way of shade from the sun.

The effectiveness of a container filter depends on a balance between the retention time (the time water is in contact with the media), and the pond turnover. The slower the flow rate, and hence the greater the retention time, the more completely waste is removed. On the other hand, the slower the flow rate, the longer it takes to turn the pond over and the more time there is for waste to accumulate in the pond. So people have calculated how to hit the right balance. Here's one article on balancing flow rate and retention time. It goes along with the standard recommendation of turning the pond over 1/2 to 2 times per hour.

Dakotak, HOB filters have such tiny volume that you really can't retain the water long and still get the tank water through the filter before it is polluted. So you use very high turnover rate and settle for partial removal of waste on each pass. That works. If you have a canister, which has more volume, you can slow down the rate. If you go for a pond container filter which has about 10% the volume of the pond, you can follow the recommendations of the article above.

Now I'm not really sure if the recommendations are talking about pump flow or "claimed pump flow." Those who have measured the actual water flow produced by pumps find they average about 1/2 the claimed flow rate. So most people get a pump that claims to be able to turn over their pond twice in an hour.

Lillee, I don't want to be rude, but I have to bring up the size of your pond. You said,"The dimensions are roughly 13ft by 3.5ft by 5ft deep something like that." From the view of the pond and the size of your fish, that sounds reasonable so your estimate is probably close. 13 ft x 3.5 ft. x 5 ft= 227.5 ft3 . There are 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot and 227.5 x 7.48 = 1702 gallons. As you said, that is an estimate, so it could be off by a couple of hundred gallons either way. If your pond is 3.5 ft wide and 5 feet deep, and contained 500 gallons it would be 3.8 ft long. So actually your 3000 gph pump is turning your pond over at the recommended 2 times per hour.

I aim for a pump that is devoted to surface agitation and a pump that is related to moving water through cycled media.

This being said, if you don't clean the pond liner, most of your bacteria for your cycle is going to be found there. My pond is severely understocked which is to my advantage. It means I can fiddle around with filtration and planting until I find the amount I need that works for me.

Not all ponds are the same shape or have the same features, just like some tanks are different sizes. I think that keeping your pond understocked gives you leeway to experiment and find out what kind of filtration is needed for you.

Another thing to add is that some water conditions, such as green water, is not an issue that increased filtration will affect.

My pond is about 1500 gallons. My pump with UV light built in is rated for about the same. I have a lot, but not a ton, of plants and about 30 goldfish in there from 1" to 8". The water stays very clear and i did 1 25% water change all year. Also topped it off a few times but the rain mostly took care of that. Nitrates and ammonia 0 just a few days ago. Take that for what its worth.

Green water is a weird situation. I don't get it in any of my ponds. The algae are there, because if I take some water out in a bucket, it starts turning green in a few days. Clearly something in the pond ecosystem inhibits the growth of the planktonic algae. I don't know if it's the algae on the walls of the pond or something in the filter that is responsible for the inhibitor. Others have observed the same thing, even to the extent that water from the pond mixed into green water kills the green water algae.

Most ponds turn green at first then clear in a month or two. Mine were never green, and some don't clear. Some people find that if they run a UV filter until the water clears, they can turn it off and the water stays clear. Apparently killing off the green water algae allows the competing organisms to grow to a level that they can outgrow the green water algae.

The only filtration I have heard of that may correct green water is a bog filter. I've never heard of anyone with a bog filter and green water.

Edited by shakaho

Get the biggest GPH pump you can get and pipe it into a bakki shower. Best filtration and water falls ever !