Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

Is this is good goldfish diet?

I feed my goldfish mainly Pro-Gold everday, with a pinch of Aqueon Tropical Flakes that I had left-over from my tropical tank. I think most of you are aware of the ingredients of Pro-Gold, so I'm not going to touch on that, but the ingredients for the flakes are 41% crude protein, 7% crude fat, and 3% crude fiber. Main ingredients include: whole fish mean, whole wheat flour, soybean meal, whole dried krill, wheat gluten meal, etc. I also give them either lettuce, or spinach every other day, or every 3 days. They seem to like nipping on the greens during the day when they're not fed. Also, I've recently started giving them canned peas every 1-2 weeks. I don't give them gel food or anything, and I feed them mainly pellets. So is this a good and stable diet for them? Or should I change something?

I would throw out the flakes, and increase greens a bit more. Otherwise, it's great. :)

Oh, if I didn't make it clear, and I don't think I did, I put the flakes onto the current from the waterfall of my filter, so the flakes get carried into the water and sinks down to the bottom of the tank. So there's no worry of the fish gulping in air from getting the flakes on the surface of the water.

Flakes tends to lose their nutrients over time beside the air gulping, hence why it's not recommend to feed flakes, since the fish won't get everything they need sometimes.

The flakes are not a good source of nutrients so it isn't worth it to feed them at all.

Ok. That's interesting, because I see that the protein level's actually higher than PRo-Gold, but I'll definitely keep that in mind. Flakes have been excluded from the daily diet for a couple of days.