Do Pearlscales and Fantails go together?

Ashkadoodle

I am buying some new goldfish and I want to get Pearlscales and Fantails. Are these good together and do Pearlscales have any special health requirements? Our past few batches of goldfish have died, and we would like these to last longer. What are some necessary items for all goldfish? Plus, am I supposed to post my questions like this?

All goldfish have similar health requirements. They need 15 to 20 gallons of water per fish, regular large water changes, and good filtration.

Pearlscales and fantails do well together if they are provided with the above.

I'm not sure what you mean by posting your questions "like this," but you are certainly supposed to post questions! :)

Can you tell us about your set up? Tank size, filter(s), etc . . .

For fancy goldfish, of which both fantails and pearlscales are considered, you will need a minimum of 20 gallons for the first fish and 10-15 gallons for each additional fish. You also will want 10Xs filtration rate, meaning if you have a 30 gallon tank, for example, you will want a filter that has an output of at least 300 gallons per hour.

Another important thing to know about is the nitrogen cycle. Please watch this video which will illustrate how the nitrogen cycle in a fish tank works:

http://www.kokosgold...ustrated-video/

Many fish are lost to poor water quality and overcrowding. Hopefully the information I've given you will help. Please do not hesitate to ask further questions. We are here to help you and your potential new fish. :)

And Welcome to Koko's!

Edited by fantailfan1

Okay. Well, we haven't officially bought the tank yet, but we were going to get a ten gallon? Are twenty gallons better? And we haven't gotten the tank yet. We had seven goldfish earlier, but after their recent deaths, we realized that one lightbulb had burnt out and the other broke. We are going to buy new fish after the tank is set up. We want to give it about a month to cycle before we actually purchase the fish. This is so the tank will have all the basic necessities.

That's probably your problem, hun. Goldfish need at least a 20 gallon tank. Two goldfish should be in a 30 gallon tank and 40 would be even better. They can grow to be very large and live a long time with proper care. You need to buy a tank big enough for their adult size.

In addition, the cycling can take a month or long. During that time, you need to provided a source of ammonia in the tank and monitor the water parameters with drop water test kit. We can help you with this. :)

And just as important, once the fish are in the tank, you need to commit to large weekly water changes to keep your fish healthy. Goldfish are big eaters and big poopers, so they absolutely require water changes of at least 50 percent weekly. A water changer can make that a lot easier.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Is a ten gallon good for three fish maybe?

Absolutely not, if you want them to live for more than a few months. A pearlscale could grow to be the size of a baseball -- do you think a baseball would have good swimming space in 10 gallons?

Absolutely not, if you want them to live for more than a few months. A pearlscale could grow to be the size of a baseball -- do you think a baseball would have good swimming space in 10 gallons?

Sorry. I messed that up. In that case, what would you suggest?

Sorry. I messed that up. In that case, what would you suggest?

This site is for learning. We've all been here. :hug

I suggest this. :)

That's probably your problem, hun. Goldfish need at least a 20 gallon tank. Two goldfish should be in a 30 gallon tank and 40 would be even better. They can grow to be very large and live a long time with proper care. You need to buy a tank big enough for their adult size.

In addition, the cycling can take a month or long. During that time, you need to provided a source of ammonia in the tank and monitor the water parameters with drop water test kit. We can help you with this. :)

And just as important, once the fish are in the tank, you need to commit to large weekly water changes to keep your fish healthy. Goldfish are big eaters and big poopers, so they absolutely require water changes of at least 50 percent weekly. A water changer can make that a lot easier.

• Petco sometimes has those "dollar per gallon" sales. I'd suggest waiting a little bit until they have another one, and then going and getting a 40 gallon tank. I did and I am happy with it. It'll be easier to tell your parents you found a $114.00 tank for $40.00 instead of saying "I need all this stuff and it's not on sale." Sales are a really fun way to convince parents, honestly. You can comfortably house 2 goldfish in there, so a Pearlscale and a Fantail will be fine in there most of their lives.
  • You'll need at least 400gph of filtration, so getting 2 filters rated at 200gph a piece would be your best bet. Aqueon Quietflow filters are a cheaper option that work well.
  • Make sure you get some filter floss to replace the cartridges with, as you only need those carbon cartridges when you need to take medicine out of the tank.
  • You can get a cheap hood/light combo for a 40 gallon at Petco as well, unless you want to spend a little more and get a different lighting option like a Marineland Hidden LED system if you don't have pets that could get on top of the tank.
  • Kits don't provide adequately for the needs of Goldfish as they aren't tailored for keeping them.
  • Also, it is advised to grab a heater and thermometer. I personally recommend an Aqueon Pro and a cheap little Petco glass thermometer.
  • You'll need a gravel siphon to clean up the tank bottom.
  • You DEFINITELY will need a drop test kit API Freshwater Master is the kind we always recommend, and it is the most accurate. Strips generally are inaccurate.
  • As for food, I'd suggest ordering some Repashy Soilent Green. The site's sponsor, Tastyworms.com, carries that at a cheap price. It is a gel food, and is very good for goldfish. It's not advised to use Flake food, as that is not nutritious and can cause issues with a fish's swim bladder. Sinking granules are another good option for fish, but must be soaked first to prevent swim bladder issues.

There is so much more I could say... but this is just a bare minimum thing...

:blush: I am sorry if it gets overwhelming.

• Petco sometimes has those "dollar per gallon" sales. I'd suggest waiting a little bit until they have another one, and then going and getting a 40 gallon tank. I did and I am happy with it. It'll be easier to tell your parents you found a $114.00 tank for $40.00 instead of saying "I need all this stuff and it's not on sale." Sales are a really fun way to convince parents, honestly. You can comfortably house 2 goldfish in there, so a Pearlscale and a Fantail will be fine in there most of their lives.
  • You'll need at least 400gph of filtration, so getting 2 filters rated at 200gph a piece would be your best bet. Aqueon Quietflow filters are a cheaper option that work well.
  • Make sure you get some filter floss to replace the cartridges with, as you only need those carbon cartridges when you need to take medicine out of the tank.
  • You can get a cheap hood/light combo for a 40 gallon at Petco as well, unless you want to spend a little more and get a different lighting option like a Marineland Hidden LED system if you don't have pets that could get on top of the tank.
  • Kits don't provide adequately for the needs of Goldfish as they aren't tailored for keeping them.
  • Also, it is advised to grab a heater and thermometer. I personally recommend an Aqueon Pro and a cheap little Petco glass thermometer.
  • You DEFINITELY will need a drop test kit API Freshwater Master is the kind we always recommend, and it is the most accurate. Strips generally are inaccurate.
  • As for food, I'd suggest ordering some Repashy Soilent Green. The site's sponsor, Tastyworms.com, carries that at a cheap price. It is a gel food, and is very good for goldfish. It's not advised to use Flake food, as that is not nutritious and can cause issues with a fish's swim bladder. Sinking granules are another good option for fish, but must be soaked first to prevent swim bladder issues.

Good post, but I'm going to disagree about the aquarium kits. Many would include everything needed except the proper filtration. But a kit (which probably will come with 5x filtration) plus a second filter should be fine. It's just a matter of how you want to buy everything. :)

FEEDING:

You said that sinking pellets were good if soaked in water. I already bought some flake food, but after I use that up, I could get the sinking pellets and maybe later, some of the gel food. I read goldfish should be fed small amounts several times throughout the day. I'm not quite sure I can do this, due to school. I usually feed them at night. I can try doing morning AND night, but that's where my capabilities (if that's a word) end.

HOUSING (TANKING I GUESS)

I don't know if one of those sales is going on currently. It sounds like a pretty good deal though. And when you buy those tanks (dollar per gallon), do they come with the lid and tank light already or do I have to buy that separately?

All these chemical kits and stuff are SERIOUSLY confusing me. They sell ALL this stuff at PetCo?

Then for the filtration, are those 200gph filters you mentioned found at your local PetCo/Walmart? Do they have discounts on all that nice stuff as well?

FISHIES

I read in this Aquarium USA magazine that if fish are dead in a tank, you shouldn't buy from it. Problem is, all tanks here have at least one dead fish. What are some other telltale signs NOT to buy a fish?