Sign in to follow this  
thefishnotthecrackers

Large water change

So I have a large aquarium and I'm tired of carrying 5 gallon buckets to and from the sink to do a 30 gallon water change. I can't get a hold of a python now because my nitrites are at the level where it's getting stressful. Can I use a bplastic wheelbarrow to carry water? I have a 200 gph pump to put the water back in.

If you have a pump, why can't you pump water out, as well?

If you have a pump, why can't you pump water out, as well?

i'm gonna use a siphon to vaccum the sand. it gives me more time to clean the sand than a 200 gph pump would.

and please i need my question answered! can i use a whell barrow to transport water?

I suppose you can, although that seems like the water will splash everywhere. I don't know that I would chance it.

I suppose you can, although that seems like the water will splash everywhere. I don't know that I would chance it.

I had the same thought, a wheelbarrow isn't really designed to warry water. Or for use indoors. It'd also have to be pretty big to hold much water since they stand slanted so you'd only be able to fill it partly. Perhaps try using the wheelbarrow to move the buckets if you're finding it hard to carry them, but not sure if that would be much easier...?

Edited by ninzah

Reminds me of a video I was sent the other day

You are using a siphon to clean your gravel. Why not siphon the water directly outside or wherever you are carrying it? Just take your siphon to the plumbing section of a hardware store or home improvement store. Ask for the fittings you will need to attach your siphon tube to a garden hose. (Yes, they have them.) Then just connect them together and let the water run to it's destination through the hose.

Most wheelbarrow are not waterproof. There are holes in them where the bolts go through the top and into the frame. They will probably leak.

Those big gray garbage can typically have holes in the about half way up. Use caution.