Help goldfish has serious fin rot.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you wiped your walls down before? I wipe mine down every week because they start to develop a thin layer of the bio-film, its just part of regular tank maintenance. I also take out my ornaments weekly and rinse them and I use a toothbrush (unused of course) to clean the ornaments with. You can buy a hand held sponge for this or one with a handle and they make a magnetic one that works great too and is less mess because you don't have to bend over the tank and clean the walls.

Edited by cmclien

And the gravel? Wont that be killing the good bacteria in the tank?

What are you doing with the gravel? It is a good idea to vacuum your gravel weekly to get any extra food and waste debris from out of it.

Normal tank maintenance will not kill the good bacteria in your tank. You just want to make sure rinsing of filters etc is not done in chlorinated water.

Thanks. And for the filter, can I change the cartridge or will it mess up the cycle? I havent changed it in a month and a half and its really dirty. Doubt its cleaning anything..

Are you still using carbon or did you switch to filter pad? Did you ever pick up the ceramic rings to put in your filter? What do you have right now in your filters for the BB to grow on?

If its filter pad you can rinse it in a bucket of tank water and that can be done every 2 to 4 weeks. Most of your BB should be growing on any ceramic media you have added, there is also some on your filter pad but tank water will not kill the BB. You just want to make sure you don't rinse it in chlorinated tap water which will. Its alright to rinse out the food and waste.

If you are using carbon most manufacturers recommend you replace those every 4 weeks as they can leach impurities back into the water which is not good for your fish.

Edited by cmclien

And the gravel? Wont that be killing the good bacteria in the tank?

What are you doing with the gravel? It is a good idea to vacuum your gravel weekly to get any extra food and waste debris from out of it.

Normal tank maintenance will not kill the good bacteria in your tank. You just want to make sure rinsing of filters etc is not done in chlorinated water.

Thanks. And for the filter, can I change the cartridge or will it mess up the cycle? I havent changed it in a month and a half and its really dirty. Doubt its cleaning anything..

Are you still using carbon or did you switch to filter pad? Did you ever pick up the ceramic rings to put in your filter? What do you have right now in your filters for the BB to grow on?

If its filter pad you can rinse it in a bucket of tank water and that can be done every 2 to 4 weeks. Most of your BB should be growing on any ceramic media you have added, there is also some on your filter pad but tank water will not kill the BB. You just want to make sure you don't rinse it in chlorinated tap water which will. Its alright to rinse out the food and waste.

If you are using carbon most manufacturers recommend you replace those every 4 weeks as they can leach impurities back into the water which is not good for your fish.

Yes i still am using them beacuse i have some left. When they are done I will get filter pad. I didnt get any ceramic rings. My filter has this blue thing that holds BB, if that's what you're talking about.

Yes i still am using them beacuse i have some left. When they are done I will get filter pad. I didnt get any ceramic rings. My filter has this blue thing that holds BB, if that's what you're talking about.

Can I pop in to give advice really quick?

When I switched from using cartridges to regular filter media I just cut apart the cartridge, removing the carbon and the plastic thing that held the fiber on, and stuck the filter fiber with my new media in the filter to seed the new media. If you don't have ceramic media to hold BBs right now and you replace the cartridge, most of your BBs will be gone as the BBs reside mostly on the filter media and removing that will kill your cycle. If I understand what you're talking about correctly, the blue thing is just a gimmick. It doesn't hold enough BBs to seed your entire filter. BBs are in your media, in this case they're in the cartridge. Save the unused cartridges for if you need to remove medicine from the tank, as carbon is good at that. You don't have to use them all now! ;)

Can I pop in to give advice really quick?

When I switched from using cartridges to regular filter media I just cut apart the cartridge, removing the carbon and the plastic thing that held the fiber on, and stuck the filter fiber with my new media in the filter to seed the new media. If you don't have ceramic media to hold BBs right now and you replace the cartridge, most of your BBs will be gone as the BBs reside mostly on the filter media and removing that will kill your cycle. If I understand what you're talking about correctly, the blue thing is just a gimmick. It doesn't hold enough BBs to seed your entire filter. BBs are in your media, in this case they're in the cartridge. Save the unused cartridges for if you need to remove medicine from the tank, as carbon is good at that. You don't have to use them all now! ;)

Where should I put the filter fiber when I cut it out?

Just put it in so that the water flows on that first, then your media. If you go and get the ceramic rings, it should be right before the rings. If not, just make sure the water gets to it first. :)

Great advice already from GSR.

When you take the plastic off your cartridge just place the soft padding right back in the filter, you will likely actually have room to add the padding from a second cartridge as well (after you remove the plastic and carbon). You always need to keep cycled media in your filter or you will lose your cycle. Filter padding (the soft material in the cartridge) does not need to be thrown away until it begins to fall apart - just rinsed monthly. It is good to keep some older and some newer media in the filter so that when one piece begins to fall apart you can throw that piece away and still have more to keep your cycle.

Please take a look at this article if you haven't already :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/aquatic-equipment/simple-media-setup-for-hob-filters-r248

Okay thanks. And for the filter pad, which one? http://www.petco.com...?Ntt=filter+pad

:help:

I like the marineland bonded filter padding best. It comes in one big sheet and you just cut it to size. http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Marineland-Bonded-Filter-Pads.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I don't know if you're able to order offline or not, but our site sponsor tastyworms has this padding cheaper than petco http://tastyworms.com/marineland-cut-to-fit-bonded-filter-pad-312sq-in.html

Oh, and is there any other way to get the filter fiber since the dirty cartridge would be full of waste and nastiness? :o:unsure:

I don't understand your question, can you rephrase for me? :)

sorry, apparently I am a bit dense today...not sure what you are asking.

Ultimately, I would get rid of those blue plastic things and replace them with a bag of ceramic media like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754140

These are very porous so they provide a better surface area for the BBs to colonize than those plastic inserts.

For the first question, you want me to get the old carbon, cut out the filter fiber, and throw the rest away. The old carbon would be full of waste, and i would be cutting through that. Is there anything else I can do instead of that, or is it the only option?

For the first question, you want me to get the old carbon, cut out the filter fiber, and throw the rest away. The old carbon would be full of waste, and i would be cutting through that. Is there anything else I can do instead of that, or is it the only option?

It's not a big deal if you cut into some of the carbon. Honestly, it takes quite a bit for carbon to 'release' the waste it has accumulated. The idea that it releases toxins back into the water over time is mostly a myth. More often than not it just stops working like it should, and at that point is mostly pointless to have in a filter. Most aquariums do not need carbon, so the space is better used for biomedia that help your cycle, plus you'll save money.

Here is a video that shows how to do it if that helps.

Okay so would it be fine if i put them around the bio-holster?

Also, I though the activated carbon removes toxins, odors, and discoloration. Aren't they good?

Put them behind the new media, so that the water flows through it and then the new media, then the bio holster.

Carbon does remove some of the things, yes, but it wears out quickly and has to be replaced too often to be economical. Many of us don't bother with it as we do just fine without it. Also, if you ever have to put medicine in your tank and you have carbon cartridges you have to remove the carbon from the tank anyway.

^ exactly

the benefit of carbon is minimal in most tanks. You can certainly keep carbon if you like, but it's just not a necessity, and is an added cost. Plus in a smaller filter it can take up valuable space that you could be using for media that is a better medium for BBs :)

Okay. Sorry if I am asking too much today. So is this what you mean? http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/user/razanbadr/media/DSC04153_zpsb28a3681-1_zpsfd1492a4.jpg.html

Also, to remove medications, instead of carbon wont water changes work?

You aren't asking too much at all. Helping is what Koko's is here for! :)

mediahelp_zpsa0e929e7.jpg

Now, you could go one of two ways here: The old media could go behind the filter padding, (Shown in red) or if you got ceramic media you could remove the bio-holster (I did in my smaller aqueon, as it isn't necessary and takes up room for real media.) and place the old media between the filter padding and the ceramic media (shown in green). The filter pad placement doesn't move either way. When you remove the old media after a few weeks, the filter padding should be the first thing the water runs through.

Water changes do work, but carbon also works. It's just two different ways to do the same thing. I like carbon if I want to remove some medicine quickly. :)

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

Old media meaning filter fiber, and ceramic media meaning bio rings and such, right? I rinse it weekly with old aquarium water?

"When you remove the old media after a few weeks, the filter padding should be the first thing the water runs through." <- Do i remove it to replace it or to rinse it out?

Incase I want to remove medicine, do I just buy carbon and put it in the fiber??

Also something off topic:

:BTT

I tested my water today and here are the results.

Ph: 7.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 10

Nitrate: 20

Hardness: 100

Alkalinity: 120

Is the cycle finally over? If it is, will the fins start to grow back?

Old media meaning filter fiber, and ceramic media meaning bio rings and such, right? I rinse it weekly with old aquarium water?

"When you remove the old media after a few weeks, the filter padding should be the first thing the water runs through." <- Do i remove it to replace it or to rinse it out?

Incase I want to remove medicine, do I just buy carbon and put it in the fiber??

I have the same aqueon filters, here is how mine looks now, I have two small (30g) bags of the bio-max, one on top of the other though you only see one.

DSC01502.jpg

After you remove your carbon put your old filter padding behind your filter pad like shown here. After a couple weeks the old filter padding can be thrown out. You leave the new filter padding in as long as you can until it falls apart which for me is months, rinsing every week or two to get the waste and food particles out and then putting back in. The ceramic media can be rinsed less frequently like monthly, very gently in tank water. It shouldn't have any waste because the filter pad will catch it first but after a month it does get a little dirty so you can rinse it.

If you need to use carbon you can just put it in the way you have been when you need remove medicine, but leave the filter pad in also. The carbon would come first, the filter pad second and the bio-rings last before the water enters back into the tank. I had to remove the holster part because there just isn't enough room in the aqueon filters for everything.

Edited by cmclien

Also something off topic:

:BTT

I tested my water today and here are the results.

Ph: 7.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 10

Nitrate: 20

Hardness: 100

Alkalinity: 120

Is the cycle finally over? If it is, will the fins start to grow back?

This means you are now in the SECOND phase of your cycle. Your BB have developed and can convert ammonia now to nitrites. Unfortunately nitrites are are toxic as ammonia and you need to do a BIG water change again. Try and keep them under 1.0, 10 is very deadly so as soon as you can replace that water. Are you using Prime? you can double dose it during this phase if you need to but you still need to be doing large water changes. The second phase usually only lasts a few weeks but you need to keep your fish safe. The fins won't grow back until your water is fresh and without ammonia and nitrites. If you changed it out daily and could keep those numbers lower then they would probably start growing back.

You will know you are cycled when you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. After that you will have nitrates which is the normal process of the cycle. The only way to remove nitrates is through water changes when they reach about 20-30. You will need to change your water weekly (or more) depending on the load of the tank, i.e., no. of fish, how much you feed them etc. when you reach the final nitrate phase.

Edited by cmclien