Help goldfish has serious fin rot.

You can get sterilite food safe bins at Walmart, Target etc in the sections where you find regular storage bins.

So i should b put them in a bin?

Yes, if you can get a storage bin that would be preferable to the tanks you have :) Please let us know if you need any help setting it up etc.

Please do not feel guilty. We all have to start somewhere, and most of us here started exactly where you are. There is just not good education out there about proper goldfish care and pet store employees unfortunately can't be trusted as they often lack knowledge about basic goldfish care. We're here to help you however we can :)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested my water again:

Big:

Ph: 7.6

Ammonia: 2

Nitrite: 10.0 toxic

Nitrate: 20

GH: 250

KH: 120

Small:

Ph: 7.2Ammonia: 0.5

Nitrite: past 10 really toxic

Nitrate: 40

GH: 215

KH: 1 parts per million (<<thats what he said idk what that means??)

Edited by mygoldfishmylife

How long had it been since your last water change and how much water did you change last time?

You more than likely really need to be doing big daily water changes on both tanks (especially the small one) Edit: I see you said above that you have been doing this, have you been consistent? How much are you changing at a time?

The difficulty with being overstocked is that the water parameters are very difficult to control, and particularly in the small tank, you may not be able to fully cycle because the waste being produced is just too much for a small volume of water.

How long had it been since your last water change and how much water did you change last time?

You more than likely really need to be doing big daily water changes on both tanks (especially the small one) Edit: I see you said above that you have been doing this, have you been consistent? How much are you changing at a time?

The difficulty with being overstocked is that the water parameters are very difficult to control, and particularly in the small tank, you may not be able to fully cycle because the waste being produced is just too much for a small volume of water.

i did 80% water change in the morning then tested the water in the afternoon. i am thinking i could just put the small fish with the big ones? i dont want the small ones to get finrot from one of the big fish or them to bully them will pictures of their sizes help you see if they can live together yet?

Do you think i should put them together?

This really unfortunately does not fix the problem, since you are already overstocked in the 20 gallon and are already having trouble with water quality in that tank as well. I would maybe suggest moving one to the 20 gallon, but ultimately this is going to make a minimal difference. You'll have a little less toxins in the 5 gallon and a little more in the 20 gallon, but it's still a problem for both tanks.

There is unfortunately no getting around the fact that you need a larger tank, or at least a second larger tank. Is a plastic storage bin not an option for you?

I hate to say this, but if you truly cannot get a larger tank/container to keep them in I would look into rehoming them, perhaps a local store will take them back for you or you can check with your local koi club to see if there is anyone with a pond that might take them. You could get away with keeping one in the 20 gallon for awhile, but eventually would need to upgrade as he grew.

Do you think i should put them together?

This really unfortunately does not fix the problem, since you are already overstocked in the 20 gallon and are already having trouble with water quality in that tank as well. I would maybe suggest moving one to the 20 gallon, but ultimately this is going to make a minimal difference. You'll have a little less toxins in the 5 gallon and a little more in the 20 gallon, but it's still a problem for both tanks.

There is unfortunately no getting around the fact that you need a larger tank, or at least a second larger tank. Is a plastic storage bin not an option for you?

I hate to say this, but if you truly cannot get a larger tank/container to keep them in I would look into rehoming them, perhaps a local store will take them back for you or you can check with your local koi club to see if there is anyone with a pond that might take them. You could get away with keeping one in the 20 gallon for awhile, but eventually would need to upgrade as he grew.

I'll see into getting a larger home.

yep, wipe down the aquarium walls. For the ornaments you can take them out and wipe them down.

Why? What is it?

Likely just biofilm, possibly some algae.

Here's a good article on biofilm written by Stakos if you're interested http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103683-biofilm/