The Perfect Tank

Wynkin

In a couple of weeks (or less) I will finally be setting up a 50 gallon tank for my 3 goldies (a fantail, a telescope and an oranda). The empty brand new tank and stand have been sitting in my living room forever just waiting....

Last September we began a project in back of our house--it is almost finished--an art studio for me (new construction) and my plan of having a tank out there will finally be happening! :panana

So, I am thinking about exactly how I will do it and I would love to hear what you guys would do if you were setting up a 50 gallon for 3 goldfish.

I haven't decided whether or not to have gravel. Since my fish have grown so much, I could have the smaller gravel, then they couldn't get a piece stuck in their mouths. I am good about vacuuming once a week and goldies love to root around in it.

Plants?? So far, my plants have just been a source of rather pricey food for them. :lol: I love the way they look though. I know that some on this board use plastic plants or a combination of plastic and real. BTW, the plants I have currently are supposed to be "goldie proof". Hah!

Filters?? I have two penquin bio wheels (a 125 and a 170) and was thinking about adding a fluval canister also. What type, size would be good?

Lights? Wattage? I have a "full spectrum" bulb on my 20 gallon and my gold fantail looks brilliant. I am not too worried about lights since my studio is bright white with tons of windows. There will most likely have tons of algae growth. :) (lots of nutritious food for the fish)

I am planning on moving the filters as they are (bio-wheels with lots of bio-bugs) and all of the tank water to prevent having to cycle the tank. I could buy some Bio-spira if anyone thinks that is necessary.

I would love to hear ideas, suggestions, comments, etc.

:hi

gravel is best. i tried without for a while but i had to clean it out so much more often and instead of all the watse being trapped in the stones, it just floated about and looked awful. as far as plants are concerned, the more the better. give us some pics when its finished!!

wynkin,

thats great news! ill bet your sooper excited about it! you probably already have a good idea of what you want to do with your new tank so, ill just give you a couple of suggestions.

gravel- why not? you said it yourself. your goldies are big enough to not get it stuck in their mouths. plus, there are some very nice looking "natural aggregates" that are available. ive got a darker shade of polished river rock gravel (in both of my goldie tanks) that is slightly smaller than generic gravel and it looks wonderful. plus, goldies seem to enjoy rooting around in it so, i try to indulge them with a size gravel that is friendly to them.

as i have not been able to find a goldfish-proof plant yet, silk plants are a good place to start. a mixture of silk and real should work out great and gives them a chance to nibble on some foliage. of course, you may have to replace the real ones periodicaly.

as for lighting, im not sure of the spectrum that you are used to but, actinic blue is a very natural looking light and an excellent spectrum alltogether. since your going to have plenty of light from the windows, wattage isnt very important. if you are used to a redder spectrum, youll notice that your goldies colors will stand out all the more with the actinic blue. koko suggested them to me and i was immediately pleased with it!

i dont have any experience with store-bought cannister filters (i make mine) so, i couldnt tell you.

your just gonna looooove having your own (quiet) space for your arts and crafts! not to mention your goldies being there to keep you company! congratulations. you deserve this! i wish i had something like that to "retreat" to!

jealously yours,

paul

My goldfish in the 10 gal tank never eat any of my plants, maybe you are underfeeding them? also plants shed their leaves and this clogs the filter so only my unfiltered 10 gal tank has plants. use small gravel, it keeps the poo from floating all over and is entertainment for your 3 fish

Thanks Paul and Lovely. :)

I now am thinking that the smallish darker gravel would be great and I love the idea of actinic blue lighting.

Which reminded how great the goldfish connection auction fish look against a blue background. I would love to have a blue background.

I am wondering if anyone has painted the back with blue acrylic paint? Or what do you guys use for a background? I have used that sheet plastic stuff and it ends up looking bad when moisture gets between it.

Maybe I will email Rick Hess and see what he uses. That color blue is perfect for orange goldies and I have 2. :D

Lovely, my fish are most likely overfed--I feed them twice a day and they eat like little pigs. It is just commom goldfish behavior to always be looking for something to eat. (I can relate to that, *roars wtih laughter*)

We have planned this studio space for a long time and pulled equity out of our house to build it. I used to rent a funky space downtown to work on art so this will be paradise.

Here is a pic that I took yesterday--my temporary work table. This is some of the great windows.

post-9-1079278452.jpg

Guest susong

Wow!!

What a gorgeous view out of those windows.

It's nice that you're planning everything out before you do it, sometimes the anticipation and planning are the best part!! :lol:

That blue light and the dark stones, and the blue background is sounding sooooo nice...add a bunch of greenery, and your babies, and ...man o man... :rockon

What kind of art/craft do you do?? That's a dream studio...

Hugs

Suson

Thanks susong! I do mixed-media sculpture and you can see it by clicking on the "www" below my signature. :)

I have been doing/exhibiting artwork since 1972 and used to have a nice studio in Los Angeles, but we moved here, Central California, 12 years ago.

So this studio is something I have wanted for a very long time. :panana

nancy,

WOW! :o

i am very impressed with your sculptures! especially the figurative peices. they seem kind of morbid yet have a sort of a loving memory aspect to them. i cant quite explain the way they make me feel but, the sure do draw out emotions that you just dont feel everyday! if that makes any sense! im no art critic but, they are just fabulous!

jsrtist says that she paints backgrounds on her tanks and they hold up very well! im not sure but, i think that she uses acrylic. maybe a good blue/black blotchy pattern would look nice. kind of like the reverse side of the plastic backgrounds that are available at your lfs. you know how they fade from blue at the top to blue/black at the bottom? just a suggestion! :)

you rock!

paul

Hey thanks Paul!! I love your enthusiasm!!! It sounds like you got the drift that my early work was inspired by my love for the work of Edgar Allen Poe. :rolleyes:

And I will ask jsrtist, maybe you knew already that we live in the same town and I often visit her at work--she works at the best local fish store in town. :) I actually met her before I started posting on this board.

:o Wow, I don't know what to say, that is such a compliment! There isn't a blushing emoticon or I would have picked it.

:thanks

Doing artwork is so much a part of my life, I cannot imagine not doing it. I a really enjoy teaching also. I feel so fortunate that I am able to earn a living doing something that I love doing.

Nancy, I definately agree that you should use gravel.

I have used plastic/silk and real plant mixes before and have really liked it, that way after your goldies have eaten up the live plants you still have some vegetation (unlike my tank at the moment) until you get more live plants. :lol:

I don't know anything about canister filters (except they are heavy duty) but I just wanted to say that I too have a Penguin 170 power filter with bio-wheel (I really like them), so I just wanted to compliment your taste in filters! :D

I have read and heard that blue backgrounds are the best for goldfish (asthetically), I would think that applies mostly to orange and red colorations. I have blue gravel and my fish really stand out, it does look nice. I have painted an abstract forest on the back of my birds' glass aviary, it takes a lot of paint to make it opaque on the glass. I prefered the look of painting paper and then placing it behind the glass, but if you have a lot of paint then it would be fine to paint the back, it scrapes right off if you don't like it.

One more thing, how are people seeing your sculptures?! I don't see them anywhere and I'd really like to!!! :D This is so exciting about your tank, you must show us pics of the finished product! :)

Oh I just figured it out. :rolleyes:

Your artwork is SO wonderful! Everything is so intricate, you must put a lot of work into your pieces! I really like the themes you use, I wish I could see your stuff in person!

Thanks fishfelice, I am sure now that I will get gravel. Maybe a dark or natural.

I do want to try painting the back of the tank a brilliant blue. I have tons of paint but would most likely have to order that color (I get all my acrylic artist paints from a company called Nova Color).

I smiled about the penquin 170. They are really good. I love the waterfall sound they make.

And I will get some silk flowers as well as some real plants. This new tank will really be nice for me and my fishy friends.

P.S. My artwork does take a lot of time but when I am working on it, I am not really aware of time at all. It is totally satisfying to me to create something that is uniquely my own.

Archived