Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Clean those FAKES!

I have several live plants but I ALSO have several Fake Plants!! I noticed that some of them (the plastic ones) where rather dirty!! I looked up & found it quite easy to clean them with very little effort at all!!!

I got out my FISH ONLY bucket dumped in the fake plants & covered them with warm water. Then I added about 2/3 to a cup of bleach. I let them sit in there for an hour. Then I rinsed them real well & placed them back in the bucket with warm water (just for the comfort of m hands) & added a good splash of Prime. Then I rinsed them again. There was no bleach smell at all!

I placed them back into the tank. It looks great! The "fresh" clean plants actually brightened the tank up!!

Thanks for the tip!

YEP !!...........you KNOW the rule, PICS or it didn't happen !!!........ ;)

Took the words right off of my keyboard.

While I have you, what tank did you get, w/ the LED hood? I need to upgrade again (lol!), and I really like that yours came with LEDs.

I'll post some pics this evening....Hubby's at work! (You know he's my 'puter dude!!)

I don't have LED lights. The hood I got just has regular ole' aquarium lighting on the 29 & the 90 I have a Shop Light laying across the glass top with those long tube Plant Lights from Home Depot.

yafashelli

The tanks we have with the LED hoods are the Marineland LED kits. Petsmart carries them. We have a 20, a 29, and a 55 gallon in the Marineland LED sets. The 55 came with a stand and 2 LED hoods. The only thing I do not like about the hoods is the hinges are not built real strong....the ones on the 29 are broken and we are being extra careful with the hoods on the 55 to keep them from breaking. The 20 gallon tank is not set up....it is down in the basement....not sure when or if we will be setting it up again.

Tim

Jeanna727

Thanks for the tip on cleaning fake plants.....I prefer fake plants as they do not require a ton of work and 2 tons of luck to stay alive. We have some that are hard to clean......a bit of bleach and prime....that sounds easy enough.

Tim

I'll post some pics this evening....Hubby's at work! (You know he's my 'puter dude!!)

:rofl. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

looking forward to pics! :)

yafashelli

The tanks we have with the LED hoods are the Marineland LED kits. Petsmart carries them. We have a 20, a 29, and a 55 gallon in the Marineland LED sets. The 55 came with a stand and 2 LED hoods. The only thing I do not like about the hoods is the hinges are not built real strong....the ones on the 29 are broken and we are being extra careful with the hoods on the 55 to keep them from breaking. The 20 gallon tank is not set up....it is down in the basement....not sure when or if we will be setting it up again.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I was looking at the 55 LED yesterday, but if the hood isn't great, I'd rather get their 60 gallon, and use my own lights.

Pics of the perfect clean fake plants! (finally)

Image0008.jpg

Image0007.jpg

Here's one B4 cleaning...notice every leaf is "outlined" in black. (Actually eventually every crevice was black on EVERY plastic plant in the tank!)

fish-10-15-12--08.jpg

Edited by Jeana727

I really like the before and after shot ;) looks like new plants :) and I wasn't sure they were even fake ;)

I was really surprised as to just how easy AND how WELL it cleaned them. I was a tad worried that they MIGHT turn to plastic goo plants..tho there really wasn't THAT much bleach!! :wacko: I am glad to have learned this easy technique because scrubbing them was a pain in the..... :booty ......AND never really got them clean. They do look brand new now!! Woohoo!!! :carrot:

Well, now I'll put my fake plants back in the tank. I got fed up with scrubbing them with a toothbrush.

Don't forget Rinse Well in fresh water & add Prime to make certain there's no more bleach!!!

You did a fantastic job with those plants. :)

Thanks! I was AMAZED at how easy it was! They were all really ecky!!! Black stuff on all the leaves..uck! I couldn't believe it got it ALL of.....and with NO scrubbing!!!!

I just read this now but thanks for the tip Jeana! I absolutely hate scrubbing my plants with my fish-only toothbrush. Takes forever!!! I will try this out next time. :)

How long did you let the plants sit in water and prime? I did this with an ornament and figured it would still be the same process.

I just placed the plants in the warm bleach water & let them sit for awhile (probably an hour) just went about doing my regular cleaning of the tanks & stuff. Then I dumped out the water rinsed them under the tub faucet then placed them back in the rinsed bucket & added Prime. I let them sit awhile. I sniffed them when I took them out and detected NO bleach smell!!

AND they have stayed perfectly clean thus far!!

Edited by Jeana727

Thats interesting, I wonder if because the bleach killed any spores (if thats the right word) so it couldn't grow right back. I'm tempted to re-disinfect my live plants and see if that is true for them too as now I have to clean them and the ornaments weekly with a toothbrush to remove brown algae. My ornament has been in water and prime all night so its probably fine then.