Torn fin on bottom of tank!

Black

I was just about to feed Googs and have an early night when I noticed a substantial part of his tail fin had come off.

I moved some of the decor around yesterday to give him more swimming room but since the move, he has spent a lot of time under the filter intake. I assume what has happened is that is has got sucked in and he has torn it off whilst trying to swim away. I can't think of any other explaination.

I feel like putting this in the emergency section but he's not at death's door... yet.

I feel worn out. I know that is a selfish thing to say but all I feel is stress and sadness when I look at him and this really feels like the last straw. It broke my heart to see part of his fin on the bottom with everything else he is suffering with.

Here are some pics.

What can I do? :(

tornfin.jpg

tornfin1.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Black,

I'm sorry Googs had a bit of an accident. You did the right thing in using the report button when you needed to get the attention of one of us.

I think that he must have gotten into an accident somewhere where part of his fin snapped off. You can just salt the tank to 0.2% for a little bit, or you can do a couple of extra WCs. The key is clean water to foster speedy healing without infection.

ok, Thanks Alex! Will he be ok until tomorrow night? I have a very early start and won't be back from work until tomorrow evening?

Do you think he is in pain? :(

I have moved the decor back to how it was and he's not under the intake so much

He should be OK. It looks like a very clean break, and I do not think that he's in any pain.

Good to know. Stupid bloody fish :crazy: I'm off to bed now, I bet I'll have nightmares about him dying... won't be the first time!

Awww the poor baby!! I hope he's better soon!

EDIT: Maybe, since he is having is issues in general, it would be a good idea to remove ornaments and only maybe have a few large river rocks in there as cover, and some soft plants, either live or silk (I do believe that live plants are absolutely preferable), that way he won't get himself hurt so easily.

And if you haven't already, try to secure the filter intake with a piece of stocking rubber banded around it :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I've come home early, not feeling well... Googs isn't looking too good either! :( Thank you everyone for your support. I have just covered the filter intake and after I have had a rest I am going to do a WC and salt the tank to 1% and do another 1% in the morning.

How long shall I keep the salt in there for considering he has had dropsy a few months ago?

Anything else I can do for him?

Oh, and I have used a normal stocking but do you think I could used a fishnet stocking so that debris can still get sucked up? or would that still cause problems for fins?

DO you have a sponge you could cut a hole in and stick on the filter intake? That is what I do so then the debris gets stuck in that and you can just rinse that off

Could I put a sponge actually inside the intake, instead of outside? The end comes off. Or is that not a good idea? I just thought, that way bits can still get inside a little and get trapped in the sponge but his fins cant get inside

:idont

I am ashamed to say that due to an art exhibition coming up, I have only done a small WC. I've not had time to salt him as well. I am going to try and do another WC tonight and then salt him to 1%.

He seems the same as usual, I think he's coped with the loss of his fin better than me, it was a shock to see it!

I forgot to mention, that although his behaviour is fine, I have been seeing a couple of scales at the bottom every day for the past few days. I remove them which is how I know they are new ones. Is this a bad sign? I noticed them before he even lost part of his fin.

It is the first time in over 2 years that I have seen this happen :(