Moving my 7 year old Ryukin

opis_fin

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some advice on this. The story is, there is my 7 year old ryukin, Cosmos, at my parents. He is in a 40L tank which I am aware is small for him, I believe his growth has been stunted. I want to keep him in my new place with a bigger tank. I've gone out and bought him a 70L tank setup and I'm hoping to move him this weekend.

What I was planning on doing was to bring all the water I can from his 40L tank, put him with his current tank water in a bag for the travel and also take his current filter. Then, after a 30min car ride to my place - put his tank water into the new tank, then fill it up the rest of the way with tap - condition it - and also have his old filter setup in the new tank running, along with the one that came with the new tank (on low). The obviously let the bag float for a bit with him in it etc...

Is all that ok? Is there anything I should account for or change?

I think you got it right. Make sure the filter media stays wet during the car ride. Maybe keep it in a separate bag partly filled with tank water.

This is what I would do:

Have your parents test their tap water, and you test yours, to see if there is going to be a difference in pH. You don't want to accidentally shock the fish :)

Have your parents also test the TANK water to see what the parameters are. If the tank parameters are fine (0 ammonia and nitrite, 20ppm nitrate max), and both your tap waters show pretty much the same pH, then you don't need to bring all the water from his old tank. Maybe get a 20l tub with a lid, pour about 10 liters of water in there and transport the fish in the tub instead of a bag. Just make sure the lid is on tightly during the transport!

Then at home just fill the new tank with temperature matched water, condition it - Voila!

The 70liter tank is still a little bit small for one fish, but considered he is 7 years old, stunted, and used to live in a 40liter, he will most likely be just fine in the new, larger tank. You probably know that it is not big enough for tank mates though, right?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Yep, filter media will stay wet :) Thanks for all that, this info is awesome.

Yeah - I know it's a little small for him, I figured it would just be better than the one he's in (plus 50L and 70L tanks were on sale at the shop near me, so I thought I better go for the 70 not the 50, better of two evils, or 3 evils if you include the tank he's in atm..)

Oh yes!! I know I can't have any other fish with him, for sure.

Thanks =)

Ha! Oh he's so cute! Glad everything went well

Aww thank you!! I'm glad things went well to :) There's a few years left in him yet and I plan on making them as awesome as possible for him!!

I am so in love with his coloring! He reminds me of orange sherbet/vanilla swirl ice cream :) A few years? The oldest living goldfish was 43 years old, so you might have to put this guy in your will :D

Oh wow, Cosmos is a nymph! That's what a goldfish is called if it has a single tail, yet a fancy goldfish body (round and short). He's very pretty! I'm glad moving him to his new home went well. :)

What a cutie! He looks so happy in his new home :)

A nice and fat, happy fish! Enjoy the new tank!!

Hehe yup! I'm sure he will :) Thank you.

Ha! Oh he's so cute! Glad everything went well

Aww thank you!! I'm glad things went well to :) There's a few years left in him yet and I plan on making them as awesome as possible for him!!

I am so in love with his coloring! He reminds me of orange sherbet/vanilla swirl ice cream :) A few years? The oldest living goldfish was 43 years old, so you might have to put this guy in your will :D

Haha! Oh wow really? Gee I might have to! :D

Such a sweet little fishie!!

:) thanks

Cosmos is so pretty,........glad the move went well, and I bet he is enjoying to extra space !!!................ :clapping:

Oh wow, Cosmos is a nymph! That's what a goldfish is called if it has a single tail, yet a fancy goldfish body (round and short). He's very pretty! I'm glad moving him to his new home went well. :)

Cool :) thanks! I thought he was a ryukin with a single tail like the Sabao but they do have the flowing tail don't they. Thank you!! :D

Cool :) thanks! I thought he was a ryukin with a single tail like the Sabao but they do have the flowing tail don't they. Thank you!! :D

I think his body shape is more fantail than ryukin, so yeah I would call him a nymph rather than a tamasaba (sabao). He's very unique! I bet you're so happy to have him with you at your place now! :)

I think his body shape is more fantail than ryukin, so yeah I would call him a nymph rather than a tamasaba (sabao). He's very unique! I bet you're so happy to have him with you at your place now! :)

Awesome, good to know! Thanks for that :) Oh I am very happy to have him here :D

Ok, so I'm going to admit that I was totally rocking out to the music. :rofl

He is super cute! Congrats on the new tank! :)

HAHA! awesome :D glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks heaps!!