Fry with issues

BurningIvy

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could have a pond. Freshwater ponds are illegal at residences in Maine. It's stupid. I even know where it would go if I had one... it would be a beautiful thing. I could fit at least a few hundred gallons in the spot I'm thinking of... hmm can I convince my parents to break the law?? It's for the good of the fishes. =p

I'm doing a lot better this round, I think. They already seem bigger than the last batch, more active too!

I wish I could have a pond. Freshwater ponds are illegal at residences in Maine. It's stupid. I even know where it would go if I had one... it would be a beautiful thing. I could fit at least a few hundred gallons in the spot I'm thinking of... hmm can I convince my parents to break the law?? It's for the good of the fishes. =p

I'm doing a lot better this round, I think. They already seem bigger than the last batch, more active too!

Maybe by having them in a large stock pond above ground you could skirt around the rules? I wouldn't count that as a technical pond, just a very large tub...

Are swimming pools illegal at residences in Maine? You could always install a hot tub or pool and conveniently put goldies in it :rofl :rofl :rofl

I was thinking above ground could be an option but still all the petstores around don't carry things for ponds and have big signs that say if we know you have a pond we cannot sell you live product. it's like prohibition i tell ya.

Basements make good locations for container ponds, Many northerners even bring their koi into the basement for the winter. Some grow lights and potted plants and you can be a "snowbird" by going downstairs.

I dont mean to sound like a major rebel here but i had about 80 fry in a 15 gallon tank w small filter. I didnt change the water for a ver long time and i didnt even run ar filter for a good while. A vast majority of the fish lived. Was i just lucky?

Honestly i dont think its good for such young fish to experience the change in ph, temp, and chemicals that a water change provides.

I have read tons of threads on here about everyones fry dying even though they follow the advice to change the water a lot. If you cant match up the water parameters, its not gonna be good.

By the way, sorry your fry died.

I was thinking above ground could be an option but still all the petstores around don't carry things for ponds and have big signs that say if we know you have a pond we cannot sell you live product. it's like prohibition i tell ya.

Jack boot wearing pond gestapo! :madrant: That's um HELLO infringing on your pursuit of friggin happiness. That infuriates me! Now I could see no duckweed or anything invasive, but no pond, period, at all, like ever??? Wtf are ya sposed to do if ya got pet ducks or geese? Give em shower? :veryangry:

Edited by smegypsiren

I dont mean to sound like a major rebel here but i had about 80 fry in a 15 gallon tank w small filter. I didnt change the water for a ver long time and i didnt even run ar filter for a good while. A vast majority of the fish lived. Was i just lucky?

Honestly i dont think its good for such young fish to experience the change in ph, temp, and chemicals that a water change provides.

I have read tons of threads on here about everyones fry dying even though they follow the advice to change the water a lot. If you cant match up the water parameters, its not gonna be good.

By the way, sorry your fry died.

I think that some people do things differently than others with different results. All I know is that my last batch of fry died and had no airstone and no water changes (until it was too late) so I'm going with a new approach this time that was recommended to me by somebody who is reliable. Maybe you were just lucky?

It is kind of crazy that we can't have goldie ponds... I want one but I also don't want to live in Maine forever sooo maybe I'll just wait till I move.

Also! Little Bill is four weeks old today! My little man. :wub:

Thanks =) I'm hoping they live so I can find homes for them. I know a lot of my friends have started to get really interested and have even said they'd buy a tank set up (if they want to put my baby in a bowl they can't have them haha) because they know I will be checking in on the babies.