Help

Loridae

Need help! Here's the history. Twenty gallon tank, hanging filtering system rated for 55 gallon tank, three goldfish (2-4" fancy fan tails, 1-3" fantail oranda). Tank has been up over three years. Had issues with dropsy at the very beginning on one of the fancy fan tails, cured that with a combo of Epsom salt added to water and lower protein food. Life has been blissful for a couple of years. Water always perfect every time I test it, Bella, Barney and Bailey all growing nicely. Then about a month ago I was on vacation and I'm not exactly sure what happened but pump/filtration barely working when I got home. Tried to trouble shoot over the phone and no good. By the time I got home the tank was totally algaed over, water horrible. I had to break the filtering system down completely and change much of the water and clean decorations as they are covered in algae. Did NOT change gravel.

It's been several weeks and I can't get the water evened out again. I keep doing partial water changes. Now, my Bella is showing signs of dropsy. Test results this morning: ammonia- 2.0 ppm, nitrite- 0 ppm, nitrate- 40 ppm, pH- 6.6. I did a 40% water change last nite and added 2 tsp Epsom salt. There is also a plex and a Cory cat in take to clean up. I really afraid I'm losing Bella and I've had her since she was tadpole size. Help! Thank you. Loridae

If you would like more detailed help, I suggest opening a topic in the diagnosis and discussion section of the board. The moderators monitor those sections more closely than the others. All you have to do is fill out the form at the top and post and you will receive help.

Ooops, seems it was moved or maybe I was mistaken. Please do fill out the form at the top, though (:

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Edited by LovelyChaos

For a 20 gallon tank, you would need 1/2 tsp Epsom, not 2 tsp. I would immediately do a 75% water change (which will also help with your ammonia issues) until a mod comes along.

It would probably be best if you could treat her separately from the other fish as if they are not pineconing I would think that Epsom will be harmful. Can you treat her in a separate container?

Also pics of her, preferably taken from above, would be helpful. :)

Welcome to the forum! Sorry you are having some issues with your tank. If you could please copy/paste and fill out the questions posted above that would be really helpful.

Also pictures from the top so we can see the pineconing as fantailfan suggested would be very helpful (you can put the fish in a small tupperware container to get clearer pictures).

Bella looks better today with the Epson salt. Unfortunately I don't have room for a quarantine tank. Used to have all that with my salt tanks but now smaller house. I'm going to take your advice and do a 75% water change today. Should I keep putting in new filter material with each change? I have a hang on the tank filter with a biological filter, I'm NOT talking about the biological fliter material but the removable charcoal and floss filter. I've just never had this hard of a time getting over 'new tank syndrome' in my life. Man I got spoiled with two years of perfect water! Thanks for your help.