How to baffle filter current

Gcourtney

I took a soda bottle, and cut off the top and the bottom. Then you make a clean slice all the way through, so that the round part turns into a "C" shape. Attatch the "C" to your HOB output, and voila!

Costs almost nothing, and takes two minutes. :) I can probably dig up pictures, if you need them. :heart

I cut a piece of filter pad to fit on the output so the water just glides over it into the tank and totally cuts out the current. I have 3 hob's, one I left open and the other two I put the filter pad in. I think my fish are happier to not being pushed around so much and they are not little guys.

I can give you a picture if you want also :)

Here you go :) Someone here actually gave me this idea, can't remember now who it was but you want the piece of filter pad long enough to hit the water. It really works well and is so simple depending on your hob setup. I have something to hold the pad in place (the blue piece you see in the photo). This current was going across the top of my aquarium before I did this and whenever the fishies swam by, it would push them down about 5 inches. With this setup I don't see it push them at all, I think water just glides straight down into the tank instead of across causing current.

DSC01592.jpg

Edited by cmclien

Here you go :) Someone here actually gave me this idea, can't remember now who it was but you want the piece of filter pad long enough to hit the water. It really works well and is so simple depending on your hob setup. I have something to hold the pad in place (the blue piece you see in the photo). This current was going across the top of my aquarium before I did this and whenever the fishies swam by, it would push them down about 5 inches. With this setup I don't see it push them at all, I think water just glides straight down into the tank instead of across causing current.

DSC01592.jpg

I used this method before the coke bottle baffle, and it also works FABULOUS! :)

DSC01592.jpg

I used this method before the coke bottle baffle, and it also works FABULOU

S! :)

How did you get it to stay put? I love this idea! It diffuses the current and it gives more area for BBs.

Edited by smegypsiren

DSC01592.jpg

I used this method before the coke bottle baffle, and it also works FABULOU

S! :)

How did you get it to stay put? I love this idea! It diffuses the current and it gives more area for BBs.

I just stuffed an aqua clear sponge in the outtake. :) Easy as pie. I can probably find a picture of that, too. brb. Lol!

My filters (aqueon quiet flows) have a piece that sits there (the blue plastic piece) that the water comes through so oxygenate it more I guess. I put the pad underneath that. I know others have done this without my particular filter so maybe someone will chime in on what they use to get it to stay.

Yafashelli, how did you get yours to stay when you did it this way?

Edit: lol, she was reading my mind.

Edited by cmclien

Put floating plants in there. They slow the current, have massive root systems to help keep the water clean, and the fish love to hide in them and forage around in them for food.

I've tried duckweed and salvinia, but they just get push under. I don't have allot of head room for water lettuce or anything.

I tried looking for pictures, but I don't have any. Really, I just jammed a sponge into the output. I had to put it in so that it didn't make the water level rise in the filter, but it slowed it down enough not to blow my poor baby fish around like a snow globe.

One of the only perils of massively over-filtering. Lol!

I tried looking for pictures, but I don't have any. Really, I just jammed a sponge into the output. I had to put it in so that it didn't make the water level rise in the filter, but it slowed it down enough not to blow my poor baby fish around like a snow globe.

Snow globe! :rofl Between the duckweed and my fishies that's exactly what it looked like.

Snow globe! :rofl Between the duckweed and my fishies that's exactly what it looked like.

I had an ac 50 in a 10 gallon tank. With duckweed. I know exactly what you mean. Lol! Now, in the 40 gallon, that AC 50 isn't doing ANYTHING! Lol! I'm about to buy another 110

Nice, I'm glad I read this thread!! I have a broadtail telescope that has a hard time. The happiest I've seen her is in a 10g tank with a filter that pushes around 100gph. She struggled in my 75 with 2 AC 500's (turned all the way down), and she also struggles in her 20g with an AC 300. The two tiny teles can swim happily in the 20g, but she just can't.

Is there anything else I can do, aside from keeping her in a 10g tank for the rest of her life?