I need filtration recommendations for my NEW 40 gallon tank

larryngu

I need filtration recommendations for my new 40 gallon tank.

I bought one of these.

http://www.petco.com...ium-Combos.aspx

The dimensions are 36" L X 15" W X 16" H

I have my eye on external canister filters.

I'm going to do a fishless cycle on my forty gallon. I want to the sponges of my 20 gallon hob with BBs .....anyone know how to do that?

Edited by larryngu

Definitely canister for filter choice. I think you just need to use the sponges to seed your new media in the canister. Make the sponges be the first thing the water runs through in the canister, keep them there for a couple weeks to make sure things are all seeded. You should have a very quick cycle that way.

-ninja'd by Alex-

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

Definitely canister for filter choice. I think you just need to use the sponges to seed your new media in the canister. Make the sponges be the first thing the water runs through in the canister, keep them there for a couple weeks to make sure things are all seeded. You should have a very quick cycle that way.

-ninja'd by Alex-

Sponges are not the best things to seed, although they would seed. You want the biomedia, such as the ceramic balls, etc.

I have biomedia ( I just called them sponges).

I also I biomax balls......do I just stuff the bio balls in canister also?

How about air wands or the like?

Edited by larryngu

Alex would one of the canisters alone be enough filtration for that tank or do you also recommend an HOB? :idont

I prefer to have at least 2 filters on each of my tank, in case of one breaking down, but if Larry were to go with a canister that has a gph of 7.5x his tank volume, or 300 gph, he should be OK with just the canister :)

The new Fluvals have even higher gph. The 406 does 383 gph. I just got a Fluval 206 as a secondary filter. Supposedly, the new ones are quieter, stronger, less prone to breaking and easier to prime.

Nice tank, Larry!!! :carrot: :carrot:

I would get an Eheim Pro 2073 or 2075.

Or the Fluval 405.

http://www.petco.com/product/110211/SeaClear-Rectangular-40-Gallon-Aquarium-Combos.aspx

Before I go out and buy any of the filters that Alex had mentioned, can anyone tell me if my tank will have the right holes or places for the filter.

I think an Eheim should fit on there. It's only got two pipes, one is a loop that sucks up the water, and the other is a spray bar that goes inside the tank and suction cups to the back. You definitely need a canister or sump, no HOB for that tank. It's a beauty.

This guy has some good pics of the hook ups. As you can see you can adjust the width of the part that hangs over the back of the tank, so that should be no problem. You can fit the spray bar through the big opening and then connect the hose through the smaller slot.

http://www.portalpez...io-vt25936.html

Fluval is good too, but I don't own one so I can't speak to it fitting.

Edited by tastyworms

Because I knew that the top of your tank would be...complicated, that's why I suggested a canister. HOBs will have a hard time fitting over the lid.

This is my revised recommendation. For Fluval, I would recommend the 306. It runs at 303 max gph, which would put you at exactly 7.5x filtration. The only thing about this that if you get this, you will need to get more media, such as the pre-filter, and more biomax.

If you want to see about Chris' offer on the Eheims, this is what I would recommend: The Eheim 2217, OR Eheim Ultra G 90 model. The second is more expensive. :o

I bought my Fluval 306 for $80 on Black Friday at Petsmart, thanks to the tip from Shawn.

Unless Chris can help you with a good deal, I think the Fluval 306 is cheaper than the Eheims.

Any of these models should fit on your tank. :)

Apparently, all my stuff is broken right now, lol. Fluval dealer site has been down since Black Friday and my discount on Eheims is missing. Fluval pricing is pretty hard to touch honestly because they'll sell to anyone. But they are good filters.

Larry, if Shawn says you can fit HOBs on there, then you have some much cheaper options to investigate. You could do one AquaClear AC110, or two AC70s. I would actually to go the pet store and see if you could fit the larger AC110 onto it.

Airstone/wand and pump are very useful to have.