Sign in to follow this  
IGH

Amount Of Fish!

Hello there i have 3 400 Litre Plastic troughs that i am wanting to use as ponds for baby orandas.How many orandas that are about 3cms long Could i put in each pond.I am planning on getting them to around 8-10Cm within one year thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my dad told me 1 gallon would be 400 - 500 litres o.o Since you have 3 400 litre troughs, the first fish would need 20 gallons every next one would need 10. I guess you'd need a bigger tank 30+ gallons to fit 2 fish in. :)

1 gallon is 3.785 litres. So that means each trough is about a hundred gallons. We usually go but the rule of 20 gallons for the first and ten for each one after for fancies, so technically you should have about 9 in each.

You will need a pump and filter on each trough. Do you have any plans for these?

Are you talking about total length (nose to end of caudal fin) or standard length (nose to base of caudal fin)? It makes a big difference.

Stocking levels depend on how you are maintaining the tubs. Breeders "growing out" young fish may have a lot of fish in a tub, feed them heavily, and use no filter, but change 100% of the water every day. How many baby orandas do you have? Tell us how you plan to care for them. Then we can suggest stocking levels

There are plenty of gallons/litres interconversion tools on the web, guys. You don't have to guess or even calculate.

Shakaho I havent brought the baby orandas yet so i have none.I now have 4 400 Litre ponds though now.I am not going to be running any filters as they will be outside away from power.I also only plan on changeing the water monthly So 100% Water chage monthly.I am wanting them to get to around 8-10cm Within 1 year as well so i can sell them.

With no filter id say try 2 per 400L tub and hope you have 1 of the 8 alive in a year :)

I don't know how good of an idea no filtration on a 400 litre pond with monthly water changes actually is. To me it just seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen. Even if you intended on using a green water set-up which does not require filtration, you still have to perform regular water changes.

Someone with more pond experience correct me if I'm out of line, but it just sounds like an extremely objectionable idea.

I agree, with no filter and only monthly water change - even if it is 100%, I would go with one fish per tub max and a lot of live plants to make up for the missing filtration.

And with "a lot" of plants, I do mean a boatload of them. Getting a few anubias or so will not help. I'd try a bunch of water lettuce as these do great in ponds and eat up a lot of toxins and will quickly reproduce on their own, as well as a lot of anacharis - if it is legal in your area. I would buy the anacharis online, where they often sell bundles of 100 stems for a decent price, and get one bundle for each tub.

Then, hope for the best. I'd still do more than monthly water changes though. Like instead of a 100% once a month, I'd do 50% weekly.

Monthly water water change with no filter and you want to grow big fish? Forget about it! One or two fish will survive if as Fang said, you put in lots of floating plants and some bog plants in pots and feed very lightly (like a little every other day). But to get big fish, you need to feed a lot and change a lot of water. The shape of your tubs make a big difference too. If they are shallow with a big surface area (and shaded from the sun to avoid overheating) you can handle more fish.

What is your reason for not changing water? Are you trying to keep water consumption low or just reducing labor?

I may be able to do 50% weekly water changes.And i will be putting in alot of plants/weed to help without there being any filters.I would get filters but is there any way of getting solar powerd ones?

You can set up an automatic water change system for your ponds like I described in post #10 of this thread. This reduces the water change effort to filling the water supply buckets once a day. A filter, like the one described earlier in that thread, doesn't require any power. The pump does. There are solar-powered pumps like the one here. Since you need a pump for every pond, it would be far cheaper to have an electrical outlet installed in the pond area.