What do you do if you miss a water change?

• Supporter

I'm sure we all have routines set in place for water changes...but what do you think the best thing to do if you miss one is?

Do one of the same size as soon as possible after?

Do a bigger one as soon as possible?

Does it depend on how soon you can do it?

There have been times when I've been really sick and missed a change, and then when I was better I did a bigger change than usual. But I've never been sure if I've done the right thing. So what do you do?

If I miss it, I would do 2 of the same size (I usually change out so much there isn't much water left in the tank for them to swim so I couldn't take any more out without them almost swimming sideways) either the same day or a day or two apart, depending on what water test results were.

It depends on your stocking level, water params, pH, how many days you're off, etc. :)

Edit: sniped by Alex and I'm not even on my iPad!! :P

Edited by fantailfan1

Being a few days late on a water change is no big deal. If it was critical that you did it on your normal day, then it should have actually been done sooner. Know what i mean? Sucking out a bit more water should be good enough.

Being a few days late on a water change is no big deal.

This is why we emphasized the need for being at stocking or understocked, if you want a lot of leeway in missing water changes. If you are overstocked, your water conditions might not be forgiving.

So it really depends, on your water parameters, stocking level and how far our you are? :)

I suppose, but my response has always been that if I am late for a water change, I do one as soon as I am able, and I do back to back changes. This way, I know that my tank is reset to super clean, and that makes me feel good at least :)

Being a few days late on a water change is no big deal. If it was critical that you did it on your normal day, then it should have actually been done sooner. Know what i mean? Sucking out a bit more water should be good enough.

If it's only a day or two I would do the same size water change, any longer than that and I would start bumping it up a bit for each day that I was tardy. Stocking level has a lot to do with it. I have never been super tardy on a water change though, never more than 3 days cause I usually keep at stocked level or under.