R/O units. Anyone use ?

cathys

i'm considering acquiring an R/O unit as my city tap water is awful.

i tested this am and ammonia was 2.0ppm

i know it also has nitrates and nitrites but didn't test them this morning.

I've been trying to cycle my 75gal with 4 goldies (4 inch to 8 inch)

anyway anyone using an r/o unit or have any recommendations ?

Don't i have to add minerals back into the RO water before adding to tank?

Edited by cathys

There is one person on here who is currently using R/O, and I'm sure she will say hello when she sees this thread.

You need to supply other info, such as nitrite, nitrate, kH, gH, and pH for people to have a better idea of what is going on with your water.

Hi,

I guess I missed this until now but I have RO Plus and because my well water has such high nitrates out of the tap (about 35 to 40) I use it exclusively in my 40g tank. Are you getting it for yourself too? or just for the fish?

RO by itself is basically stripped water, it strips out the bad as well as the good so most regular RO will be low in PH, GH and KH. It has virtually no minerals that fish need so I do think it is important to add them back in. I have been using it exclusively since last June and the fish seem healthy and are very energetic. If you are getting it for your family to drink also then I would highly recommend having the "plus" cartridge installed along with it as it adds back in for you some of these minerals, brings the ph back up and also GH and KH, also it tastes so much better with this cartridge as RO by itself can be flat.

My tap water alone has a ph of 8.4, KH of about 300 and GH of about 300 also. After it runs through the RO Plus system it brings it to ph of about 8.1, GH and KH about 100 so the ph will stay stable etc. RO alone would leave you with a PH that is too low for goldfish (in the 6's I believe) and a potential for ph crashes (low KH) and you would need to buffer the water potentially.

I use a couple of seachem products that I add in once or twice a week. Seachem Replenish which adds in calcium and magnesium and Seachem Gold Trace which adds in trace minerals. I add them in after I add the water, but you could add them before too. Here are links to both of them:

Gold Trace: http://www.seachem.c.../GoldTrace.html

Replenish: http://www.seachem.c.../Replenish.html

We opted to have ours installed in our basement and it makes about 16 gallons a day. The other units that go under your sink make about 3 or 4 a day (I think). If you are getting one just for your fish I don't have one to recommend but if you are getting one for your family too we went with hellenbrand. It comes to our kitchen faucet as well as our fridge.

Let me know if you have any more questions as I don't know your particular circumstance. :)

Edited by cmclien

i'm considering acquiring an R/O unit as my city tap water is awful.

i tested this am and ammonia was 2.0ppm

i know it also has nitrates and nitrites but didn't test them this morning.

I've been trying to cycle my 75gal with 4 goldies (4 inch to 8 inch)

anyway anyone using an r/o unit or have any recommendations ?

Don't i have to add minerals back into the RO water before adding to tank?

Despite the tap water quality, I think using Seachem Prime is still your best bet. It's going to remove the ammonia 100%. Nitrites are not really an issue because your bio filtration will convert them to nitrates. The big concern here is the nitrates in the tap water and without knowing how many ppm, it's hard to say if you should worry about it or not. If you add live plants to your tank or a nitrate removal product that will take care of a nitrate issue (on the low side < 10ppm probably).

Using R/O without adding trace minerals back in an appropriate amount will be more dangerous than the nitrates IMO. You can use chemicals to do this, but I think that's really for more extreme situations like cmcliens well water issue.

Edited by tastyworms

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about getting a R/O unit but I got the Kold Ster-Il 3 Stage Filtration System instead. I had it for years and it works great. I have it hooked up to my python so all I have to do is hook it up to the faucet turn on the water and let the water run right into the tank. I don't have to add anything to it and I don't have to use any water conditioners.

I thought about getting a R/O unit but I got the Kold Ster-Il 3 Stage Filtration System instead. I had it for years and it works great. I have it hooked up to my python so all I have to do is hook it up to the faucet turn on the water and let the water run right into the tank. I don't have to add anything to it and I don't have to use any water conditioners.

It is great for chlorine and a host of other impurities so it might be good for Cathys. It does not get rid of phosphates or nitrates unfortunately, that requires RO. I would love to have something I could hook to my sink that would get rid of very high tap nitrates! Right now I have to bring up RO gallon by gallon from the kitchen sink.

Edited by cmclien

thanks for all the advice. my water fluctuates so much i have to test every time.

the ammonia has been ridiculous of late. we live in a farming community and they add ammonium hydroxide to

the fields in the fall. It's been up and down. mostly up as high as 8.0 !!! lowest it goes is .50.

also have nitrites and nitrates in the water.

sounds like nothing is going to be simple.

i've had the fish in separate containers since thanksgiving. i'm doing a fishless cycle on the 75 gal.

can adding too much amquel plus to water crash the cycle? seems like when i add enough to get rid of

the ammonia there's no readings of ammonia,nitrite or nitrate for 3 days. at least on the temp tanks i set up

that aren't cycled. i've been changing the water twice a day 50 to 75 percent because the ph drops.

ph also fluctuates on the tap water. usually 7.8 to 8.2 but sometimes it'll go out of that range.

what's a good buffer for my 75 gal when i put the fish back into it? i just ordered some seachem that should

be here early next week.

sorry i take so long getting back to my replies i've been pretty busy ...

It is great for chlorine and a host of other impurities so it might be good for Cathys. It does not get rid of phosphates or nitrates unfortunately, that requires RO. I would love to have something I could hook to my sink that would get rid of very high tap nitrates! Right now I have to bring up RO gallon by gallon from the kitchen sink.

thanks for all the advice. my water fluctuates so much i have to test every time.

the ammonia has been ridiculous of late. we live in a farming community and they add ammonium hydroxide to

the fields in the fall. It's been up and down. mostly up as high as 8.0 !!! lowest it goes is .50.

also have nitrites and nitrates in the water.

sounds like nothing is going to be simple.

i've had the fish in separate containers since thanksgiving. i'm doing a fishless cycle on the 75 gal.

can adding too much amquel plus to water crash the cycle? seems like when i add enough to get rid of

the ammonia there's no readings of ammonia,nitrite or nitrate for 3 days. at least on the temp tanks i set up

that aren't cycled. i've been changing the water twice a day 50 to 75 percent because the ph drops.

ph also fluctuates on the tap water. usually 7.8 to 8.2 but sometimes it'll go out of that range.

what's a good buffer for my 75 gal when i put the fish back into it? i just ordered some seachem that should

be here early next week.

sorry i take so long getting back to my replies i've been pretty busy ...

I didn't know if you were still active in this topic so I hadn't replied again. But I had emailed the poly-bio company about their kold-steril system, the one that Nick is using and it will get rid of ammonia and they can customize an extra cannister that will absorb the nitrates too. Compared to drinking systems that you have installed in your house, this one is pretty reasonable in comparison imho. It is basically an RO system but sometimes that is called for in bad water situations (like mine). Perhaps they have a "plus" type cartridge like my house system that would re-mineralize the water.

Or sounds like your amquel might be doing the trick too, just wanted to mention there are options out there.

Just curious, can you post your tap before and after the kold-steril system?

Here are mine for RO+:

Ammonia and nitrites: Tap:0, RO+:0

Nitrates: Tap:33, RO+:less then 5, maybe 3 or 4

GH: Tap soft:0 Tap hard:300 or more, RO+:75 or so (4 drops)

KH: Tap, either soft or hard: 300 or more, RO+: 100 (6 drops)

PH: Tap, either soft or hard: 8.3, RO+: 8.0

Edited by cmclien

• 4 weeks later...

thanks. haven't been on in awhile. finally got the 75 gal cycled. unfortunately one of my rain garden babies didn't make it. I think it was just too much stress changing the water twice a day when they were in the 30 gal cooler. it was quite a shock. he was fine then a couple hours later sucked onto the intake. I cried and cried...I tried so hard...too hard I imagine. makes me feel like such a failure.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Just curious, can you post your tap before and after the kold-steril system?

Here are mine for RO+:

Ammonia and nitrites: Tap:0, RO+:0

Nitrates: Tap:33, RO+:less then 5, maybe 3 or 4

GH: Tap soft:0 Tap hard:300 or more, RO+:75 or so (4 drops)

KH: Tap, either soft or hard: 300 or more, RO+: 100 (6 drops)

PH: Tap, either soft or hard: 8.3, RO+: 8.0

I don't know my numbers I haven't tested my water in 5 years.

if you decide to test your water let me know if the filter takes out ammonia please. I looked at a few sites that sell that filter and they say nothing about taking out ammonia. thank you.

I am so sorry about your fish! Its so sad to lose a pet. I am happy that your tank is cycled now. A cycled tank should be able to remove the ammonia. Have you tested yours to see how long it takes to remove it? If you put new water in with a water conditioner like Prime or AmQuel so its safe for the fish, your biological filter will remove the ammonia before it becomes active again after 48 hours.

Pretty sure the kold-steril does remove ammonia, here is a link to their product information and you can email them at polybio@aol.com

http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/products.htm

thanks cmclien. i have not acquired any filtration or r/o system as of yet. just spent 200.00 on substrate. trying to do a planted tank to help with the nitrates. just added all the substrate over the last two days and a few plants. i also have my two hob crammed with spider plants. i'm going to try and do a video later today and get it on youtube (if i remember how)

then post a link to it. (should i post here or should i post in a more appropriate forum?) as of now i think i can go every 3rd day before having to do a water change. the nitrates are close to 40ppm on 3rd day. i wasn't sure if i could let it go longer than that without stressing my babies too bad.

Does anyone know of any cool red plants that goldfish will leave alone? i have plenty of crypts and amazon sword but would like something red in the tank. my 75 is in front of a large window so i have plenty of light !!!(should i switch to another forum on this?) it's so easy to get off the original post.