Sign in to follow this  
FishMom

100 Gallon, 5 fish, and 1 concerned FishMom.

Thanks, Jenny. I was doing the 100% WC daily before the day before yesterday on the small QT tank, while adding the extra prime. I seeded the little AC 50 filter I got from the main tank's AC 100 filter, but I was concerned it was still cycling. Not sure why I overlooked another round of Prazi till Alex said to do it with the Metro Meds.

I don't mind the extra, so good to know this formula works well for you. I wasn't sure if I was "cheating". I have more Prime & Prazi on order so... even though costly it's worth it if my guys get all well! Thanks for the input.

When you get a chance, will you give us video updates of all of them? That way we can see a bit more about them overall :)

5 gallon (Note- I did a 100% WC right after this)

* Ammonia Level (tank): 2.0- 4 (couldn't tell which)

* Nitrite Level (tank) 0

* Nitrate level (Tank) 0

* Ph Level, (Tank) 8.0

Temp: 74

100 gallon:

* Ammonia Level (tank): 0

* Nitrite Level (tank) 0

* Nitrate level (Tank) 5

* Ph Level, (Tank) 8.2

Temp: 74

The fish are looking pretty good, and I'm glad they are perking up. I'm a tad concerned that there is so much ammonia in the little tank though.

I'm sorry for not having gone back to read all the notes, but could you remind why the little ones are in the 5 gallon?

No prob., I know you have many 'a goldfish on your mind :)

I moved them to the smaller tank because they weren't eating the MMs in the big tank and I thought I could monitor them better. They all didn't really get the idea of sinking food, until about today they really get it. The big tank seems dirtier (with lots of algae I'm trying to tame) and Trout is very overbearing.

Do you think I should move them back?

Trout is racing a lot and seems to be constantly trying to get out the funk inside him. (I figured their healing might be worsened by his contamination).

Gotcha. I think they can be moved back. I would feel better for them, because being in that small tank with that much ammonia might be more damaging for them in the long run.

Could you get me some close ups of the spots on Trout? I also would like to teach you to do some salt dips for him. When you can (and obviously not tonight), go to a grocery store (or Walmart) and get some Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. We can try a salt dip whenever you have the salt and are ready. :)

Here are some photos of Trout yesterday pm, some are cloudy as they were taken asI did a 50 % WC (after Prazi round).

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

And the little guys. The big Fancy has one big scale that came off recently.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

----------

I did one salt dip per your instruction with Trout (on page 2 or so in this thread) and I'm really hesitant to do again. He hurt his top fin I think during the process, as he is really powerful and not used to being touched or moved at all. A week ago was the 1st time in 2 yrs that he's been touched or moved!

But I have salt and all supplies if you think it's necessary.

The little guys are in the small tank (10 gallon I realized, not 5 like I said), and I did a 100% WC last pm and doing another this afternoon. I am watching the ammonia closley.

While cleaning the big tank last pm, I noticed mold in addition to multiple color algae. I'm buying a new light today, as I saw the old one had a corner that some metal was flaking and rusted and causing this.

With the little guys, I think they have improved a ton since being in the smaller area, and I can see how much each eats exactly. I'd rather keep them there for another week at least while finishing 14 days of MMs. But if you think moving them back to big tank immediately is better, I'll trust your input!

Trout is also very agitated and constantly trying to pass things- twitching and flicking around and racing. The salt dips worry me because he looks stressed already....

Sorry so much ... what do you think?

And a video of him trying to poop- what he was doing yesterday pm. His gut looks really bloated, and the above album has a poop pic against a blue net (that's disgusting!) of 2 1/2 inch chunks I found this AM.

Let's leave things as they are for a couple of days...just make sure to please keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite and do the WCs are necessary to keep it zero or near zero :)

Sounds good, Alex. Today is day 14 on the Metro Meds. Do you think I should continue longer or switch them back to regular food now?

Just finish out today, and you are done! :)

Great, thanks Alex.Trout's not looking good this evening- very constipated and looks like he is sufferring so much. He looks dazed & listing to one side & racing.

I really would like for you to do a 3% salt dip for him, please. I really think that he has some external parasite that he's not fully shaken off... :(

That's what I was thinking.... Can you remind me next time to just listen to you the first time? ;) I'll do one tomorrow evening.

Let me know how goes, please. :)

I'm prepping the salt dip & see that Trout has a chunk of new scales missing in a white spot.

Will the salt dip hurt that, or should I just proceed? The black spots are larger & his body looks really beat up today.

Yes, please do the salt dip. :)

30 g, of salt per liter for the 3% salinity, right?

:thumbs:

Ok! 3hr/ 5 min salt dip is done! He put up a big fight and was hard to catch. He stayed the whole 5 mins. Is it possible to do another dip while I have him out? Or, do multiple dips need space between them?

Multiple dips need space between them, unfortunately, so we shouldn't do another one until tomorrow at the earliest. I prefer to do one every other day, three times total.

How is Trout?

He's still dazed right now. But he looks really bad. The ulcer on his head goes around to one side & eye and he's leaning that way. He looked like he was loosing his mind right before the dip- racing and so aggitated. He's only been in the main tank a few mins, but he looks awful. I added another round of Prazi with the new water... so that makes them lose balance, right?

I was going to put the little guys back in the MT- but is it a bad idea with him in such a bad state?

Could you get me some pics of the ulcer? That's really worrying.

Let us continue with the dips and the MMs for another week. The meds really should have taken care of this issue. :(