Sign in to follow this  
FishMom

100 Gallon, 5 fish, and 1 concerned FishMom.

Metro Meds arrived!!! I'm going to run home from work to give it to them... they look really bad.

Any special instructions, Alex? I haven't fed them any regular food today.

Go ahead and feed them. We'll take care of details later. :)

So, I ran home and fed them about 4 pinches of the Metro-Meds and just got home from work to see the tank totally cloudy white.

I thought it may be the meds, but I sat down to watch them and they are all POOPING! It's the greatest thing. My biggest Fancy & Trout haven't gone in days. Trout keeps going now, obviously uncomfortable, and I watched him go and it was this cloudy white poof of whitish membrane that keeps coming out of him. And its everywhere in the tank.

They all looked like they were on their last days this AM. Can it really work this fast? I've never been so happy to see them poop. :D

And can I do a water change or should I let it sit? It's disgusting.

How often should I give them the Metro-Meds?

Do as many water changes as you like. Now that they are on MMs, you do not need to add back salt, and should not. :)

You should feed the MMs at least 3 times a day, and I would like to give them 1% of their body weight in the food/day. Do you have any way of weighing them?

Yes, it can work that fast :)

Wow, that's great. I was just going to wait for the 3rd day to do the WC for the Prazi break- but the MMs are making such an impact, it seems more beneficial to get the toxic stuff out that they are purging.

My little calico looks really bloated still and keeps going to the surface. Trout keeps gulping air too... his behavior is so erratic but he seems to be getting moments of himself back.

I have a little kitchen scale, but that kind of scares me to take them out to weigh... :/ Certainly not Trout again... but he looks like he weighs a pound! He's such a food hog, I'm not sure the best way to distribute the food anyway? Would you suggest another tank for the little guys while I treat?

Whatever you think will work best for you in getting them the food! :)

Sounds good.... it's incredible the amount of stuff that keeps coming out of Trout!! Not that they are out of the woods yet.. but thank you so much again!!! I'm sure I would have lost most of them by now w/o your good advice. :)

You are doing a fabulous job! Sending healing vibes your way! :)

BTW I think the fish in your avatar is absolutely stunning! Those fins :heart

Hi Fantail... sorry for the slow reply....

We've been struggling. I've been sick myself all weekend, but I moved my 4 smaller guys to a 5 gal. tank 2 days ago and they all are bottom sitting & bloated. It's up & down and they seem to all have appetites. But they have been used to floating flakes their whole lives... until a few weeks ago. So, the metro meds are challenging to get in them. But they keep hanging on...

Could you please upload a video of them? Have you also been treating with Prazi?

Will do. Give me just a few mins.....

No Prazi, only the one round I did per your instruction. But I haven't added any for another round. Be back with videos.

Oh, noes. I think we misunderstood each other. Prazi rounds continue, but no salting, since the Metro-Meds is much better than the salt. That may be why they are sitting. :(

The little guys bottom scooting.<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1356.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq735%2FFishMom1%2FIMG_2701.mp4">Trout-looks a bit better than the rest. Bump on his side has the black dot coming through.<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1356.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq735%2FFishMom1%2FIMG_2703.mp4"><embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1356.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq735%2FFishMom1%2FIMG_2702.mp4">

Yep, I think I misunderstood... :( I'll add another round of Prazi. I'm just worried about not doing any water changes for a few days... their water gets cloudy so fast now. Not sure if they aren't eating the MMs or what's coming out their rears.

Go ahead and do a big WC at your convenience and dose in another round of Prazipro, please. :)

I just wanted to say: I hope your fish will be feeling back to normal and swimming all over in their tank soon. Sorry they've been sick. I hope your feeling better also fishmom.

I just did WCs this evening so I will add the Prazi now..... double dose again? Thanks, Alex.

(And thanks for the well wishes 4prettyfish :) )

Oh... One more question.... Do I need to take the carbon out of the filter while adding Prazi? I have new filters on this time & on the small tank.

Yes, carbon should always be out when medicating, or it will absorb all the meds. I would take out just the carbon, and nothing else.

You can do a single dose of Prazipro, but if you already added double, it is fine also. :)

how are the fish doing? i hope they're improving in your excellent care :)

can we get an update on their progress and also results for current water params?

Hi Helen! All their behavior looks much better- the 4 little guys are all upright now and not bottom sitting :)

Trout is all alone in the 100 gal and his behavior is close to his regular but his physical symptoms look worrisome still. He's VERY constipated, and racing, trying to pass it. His gut area only looks bloated again- after looking more relieved for a bit, but different than the little guys all over bloat look, He keeps passing large dark grey chunks. He also has a black dot in one side and the other side with one now popping thru what was a flesh colored bump for months.

All are pepping up and eating metro meds well now- their appetites are picking up & they are catching on to the non-floating food thing.

Tomorrow is the 3rd day on the Prazo, so I will so the 50% WC on both tanks.

The cloudiness in the water makes me wonder if I am overfeeding them- especially the 5 gal, but they are now eating every piece up fast.

Just finished working late so may not have it in me to take the params this pm in both 100gal and 5 gal.... Will update tomorrow! And add more pics/video.

Let me know if pics of anything specific will help.

Thank you!! :)

Yep, I think I misunderstood... :( I'll add another round of Prazi. I'm just worried about not doing any water changes for a few days... their water gets cloudy so fast now. Not sure if they aren't eating the MMs or what's coming out their rears.

You can still do a water change while dosing prazi if it's needed, just be sure to add back a dose when your done. I do this whenever I have a fish in QT, since I don't have a cycled filter and instead change 100% of the water daily while double dosing prime. It works just fine and doesn't cause any issues in the treatment plan, I actually think it's better for the fish this way but it is a little more expensive in supplies.

It's great to hear they're feeling better today! :)