Sign in to follow this  
FishMom

100 Gallon, 5 fish, and 1 concerned FishMom.

Sounds good. When you get a chance, would you please update us with a video of all the fish? Thanks

Instead of making gel food, you could always get the pre-made mixes that you just stir in with boiling water to make. It's super easy, and quite good for the fish. The mix is made by Repashy, and it's called soilent green. Our sponsor, tastyworms.com, is one of the distributors for this excellent product, along with other Repashy gel mixes.

Here is a review I wrote a while back on this food.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101320-review-repashy-soilent-green-gel-premix-powder/

I'll be glad to help should you want to make your own gel food. I spent a couple of years working on different recipes, but then decided that Repashy is way easier and better :)

Excellent, thanks. I will look into Resplashy. It does sound like a bit of work, but I may try out some recipies and use pre-made as well. I'd love to hear about your favorites. :)

I will update tomorrow with a new video.

Video updates (Taken this afternoon):

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1356.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq735%2FFishMom1%2FDSC_0821.mp4">

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1356.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq735%2FFishMom1%2FDSC_0838.mp4">

Let me know if more pictures, or anything else will help.

I just wanted to pop in and say that I am hoping a fast recovery for Trout!!! You are in good hands with Dnalex!! And you seem to be doing a great job in doctoring him!! Sending good healthy goldie vibes your way!

Thanks, Jeana :) I'm not sure what I would do without the great advise here... having patience is the hard part!!

Hi and Welcome, I too hope your fish have a speedy recovery. Your fish are beautiful.

They are looking pretty good! :)

Has the erratic behavior decreased? I couldn't really see anything concerning regarding that in the video, although I do see the bumps.

4 days after adding the Prazi, you should do a 50% WC, add back the salt to bring it to 0.3%, and let them be.

3 days after that, do another 50% WC, add back, salt, and double dose Prazi again. :)

Hi Fang,

I had my own communications with the company about salt and Prazipro, and it's true that a regular dosage should not be used with salt higher than 0.2%. In my own experience, this can compensated for by doubling the Prazi amount, if you choose to use 0.3%.

Late to check back in, but that's good to know! Now I don't need to worry about "either/or" if I have to treat! :) Thanks for the info!

Also, I am great that Trout is recovering so well! They seem quite happy there in the videos - and I have to say again, your fish are absolutely gorgeous!

They look so big and beautiful--keep up the great work! :heart

Thanks all for the encouragement! (I have to say its quite nice hearing feedback from fellow goldfish lovers!)

Alex, The erratic behavior is still present- but mostly regarding Trout. It seems the past couple days that after I fed them and they start rooting around... Trout gets more twitchy & uncomfortable looking. He had a big full body twitch in the first video above, but its mostly his fins. His bulging eyes still worry me & his gills seem red around the edges and fluttering often. But, they all are very active and have big appetites. Not sure if I'm just being too much of a worried mother!

Going to do 50% water change today, adding salt but leaving out Prazi.

Is it safe to take out the rocks? I started to a few weeks ago, but after learning so much on here, I don't want it to effect the cycle!

OH! And the pleco moved to the QT... should I add Prazi or do anything for him? He had a long stringy poop yesterday, so not sure if he carried something with him.

I'm going to have to consult another member about the pleco treatment, although I think what might be best is to go into the Tropical Disease and Diagnosis section of the forum and start a new thread asking what's the best way to treat.

As for Trout, I'm going to have you do a salt dip, and possibly a series of them. Has the Metro-Meds arrived?

SALT DIP

1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (20 grams/Liter, or 76 g/gallon). This concentration is 2%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.

3. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.

2. make sure you have some sort of timer

3. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.

4. start timer.

5. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.

6. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.

7. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.

8. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

Metro Meds not here yet. I wanted to overnight them, but only saw std. shipping as an option. I'll start a new thread for the Pleco info in the Tropical Fish area.

Should I do the 50% water change in the main tank while Trout is in the holding tank, or should I leave the water as is? (It's day 4 of Prazi)

I have 2 - 5 gal. buckets... so will use those for dip/ holding tank.

Other thing, that may be odd... I've never touched him before & it kind of freaks me out! Do I just use my hand to place him in the dip? I'm worried he'll freak out and wiggle and slip. He is a foot long and a big boy.

I used a Tupperware to scoop him the last time I moved him to the larger tank, but haven't touched him since in 2-2.5 years. He's quite strong.

He's been bottom sitting since I posted the above, and facing the back wall... which he never does. :( I'll prep the dip/ holding tank.

I can catch and hold a fancy, but I'd use a net or a container for a common. I've tried to hold one (when she was sick), and put her right back because I was afraid she would flip out of my hands. You've got to be willing to squeeze to hold a large, strong, slippery fish, and I am not. A net is better than landing on the floor.

I can catch and hold a fancy, but I'd use a net or a container for a common. I've tried to hold one (when she was sick), and put her right back because I was afraid she would flip out of my hands. You've got to be willing to squeeze to hold a large, strong, slippery fish, and I am not. A net is better than landing on the floor.

^This.

You can leave Trout in the tank as you do your 50% WC. Let us know, please, how he does after the dip.

Well, that was traumatizing. For both of us.

He FREAKED out when I scooped him up. BOTH out the main tank, and into the holding tank. His eyes looked like they would burst and I'm worried he hurt an exterior part of his body. I used a long shallow tupperware and held a plastic lid on top so he wouldn't flip out. But he tried his hardest.

But he stayed in the salt for the full 5 mins. He just swam in circles, with labored breathing the whole time, and never lost balance. His eyes look really bad from above- very dark around the edges.

He's in the holding tank now, with a bubbler and he's upright but kinda stunned. I'll leave him for 2 hrs so he can be calm for a bit longer.

Sounds good! I'm glad he stayed for a full five minutes. I hope the Metro-Meds arrive on Monday :)

Yep, I'm glad he got the full 5 :) Fingers, crossed the Metro Meds get here soon. Thanks for your support, Alex!!

Okay... dumb question, but if I want to do 2x 25% WCs for the 50% one to clear the Prazi,is that equivalent?

And should I add the .3 salt back in each 25% refill, or at the end just add half of the 360 g (whole tank amount) then x3 to go from .1 to .3?

Okay... dumb question, but if I want to do 2x 25% WCs for the 50% one to clear the Prazi,is that equivalent?

And should I add the .3 salt back in each 25% refill, or at the end just add half of the 360 g (whole tank amount) then x3 to go from .1 to .3?

2 25% WCs are not actually the equivalent of a single 50% WC. They are actually the equivalent of a 37.5% WC.

So, I would encourage you to do one large 50% WC, and then add salt back.

Hi Alex, I did 2- 30% WCs prior to reading the above. I'm concerned about the tank integrity with such a large water fluctuation, but will do the full 50 next time.

Should I do another 30% WC today to bring it closer to 50% & then start the 3 days w/o Prazi today?

What do you mean by "tank integrity"?

Shakaho, this is the 2nd time in as many days where I've heard people alluding to the idea that they can't do big water changes in big tanks for fear of "tank integrity." I believe this is some sort of motion where the tank would break or something if you do a big water change. :o

Fishmom, I've been doing 80% WCs on all my tanks, including a 100g, every 3-7 days, depending on my stocking. Once a month, I do back to back 80% WCs on both tanks. This has not presented any problems to stand, tank, or fish. :)

Okay, sounds good. It was a used tank, when I bought it 2 yrs ago, so it's always a worry that there will be leak or crack... that's what I meant by "integrity".

The one of the main pages of this site is where I read this recently too, regarding pressure fluctuations, which is why it got stuck in my head just now as a worry. http://www.kokosgold...m/tensteps.html

I'll trust your trail & error though, Alex, and go for the 50% from now on. There's just so many fish keeping mistakes I've been making, that I didn't realize until recently and I didn't want to do anymore! :)

It's not a mistake. We all modify what we do as we get more information :)