Sign in to follow this  
thefishnotthecrackers

Sand safe filter

Hey guys! I have a 75 gallon discus bare bottom tank. I want to add white sand as my substrate now. Myquestions:

1) How should I clean it before i put it in the aquarium so it doesn't cloud?

2) WHAT FILTER IS SAFE WITH SAND OTHER THAN A SPONGE FILTER??

If you put the sand in correctly, it shouldn't cloud your water. You might have to let the sand settle for a couple of hours before starting the filters. The only problems with sand that happen is if your intake is too low and powerful, and if your sand is too fine. I run 2 marineland penguin 350's with sand, and I have never had any issues with sand. I would look for filters with adjustable intake tubs so you can change the height of it. If you are having issues now, you might want to change the brand of sand you use. I get the normal petco sand and it is pretty thick and stays at the bottom.

I've never had issues with sand in my filters and I have three tanks with sand now. Tahitian moon sand is trickier because it is slightly magnetic and may try to stick to the magnet in your impeller. Just make sure you clean out your impellers bi-weekly/monthly to check for sand although I have never had any in mine. Depending on the sand you can rinse to prevent clouding, however I tend to buy caribsea naturals which I never rinse because the moonlight color is too fine to rinse effectively. I typically just empty the tank and put the fish in a container and put the sand in, fill it back up and let it settle for a hour or so, switch the filters back on and toss the fish back in. Any other cloudiness tends to go away within 24 hours.

I haven't had any problems with filters and lighter sand. Good luck!! :)

Only issue I had was if I dumped a bucket to quickly, then it would get in the filter. I was treating with prazi, by the end of an umpteenth water change a week, my arms would start giving out. Having a python or something would help tremendously.

Just curious, but how do you effectively clean sand? I was thinking about putting some sand in my new tank once its established, but I'm not sure how to clean the stuff.

If you don't plant it just keep it under a half inch and you don't need to vacuum or anything, the fish will sift through it plenty!

Just curious, but how do you effectively clean sand? I was thinking about putting some sand in my new tank once its established, but I'm not sure how to clean the stuff.

I just used a colander, cheese clothe and whole heap of tap water. I'm sure there are easier ways.