Quick Tank Vid

Lucerne

Hey Guys,

Here is a quick 1min video I took of my tropical tank before cleaning it out last week. It shows you the fallout after the "plant massacre" and how much I need to get more green back in there ^^.

Believe it or not this tank actually has 12 fish in it and 4 shrimp (including a monster of a bamboo shrimp!) but apparently they all decided to go into hiding as soon as I got the camera out.

(Sorry for the jerky camera and focus, I havent recorded anything in a tank for a while and need to figure the settings out again, I recommend watching it in 720p but not fullscreen :] )

Im also battling clear algae/biofilm on the front glass so sorry about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkHThF9q9E

Im actually having a dilema about my whole fishkeeping scenario at the moment. I am 100% obsessive about getting butterfly telescopes, but I really cant manage another large tank (im in the UK so no python). A few people have suggested rehoming Odette & co and getting teles for this tank so I can get the most satisfaction out of it. This is something I am a bit torn over because im attached to my fish at the moment but do dream of having goldies.

My first attempt at keeping a GF did not go well and so if I rehomed Odette and it didnt work out with the GF again id be gutted!

Plus id have to know my fish were going somewhre theyd be well looked after anyway.

I think im going to stick with the trops for now and decide on a plan in the new year!

I love that piece of driftwood.

I've been having a hard time finding something like that for my common goldfish to go under. I have a little circle with Anubias planted around it, and they love to swim through it. I'd like to add more fun stuff for them.

Get a tub and try keeping goldfish out? If its not for you could return them to the fish store...most do take it back...but you won't get your money back though

This is not a bad idea and if I do decide to get golds in the near future id probably start them in a tub while I figure out what to do about the main tank.

I love that piece of driftwood.

I've been having a hard time finding something like that for my common goldfish to go under. I have a little circle with Anubias planted around it, and they love to swim through it. I'd like to add more fun stuff for them.

That is gorgeous! Love that drift wood!

Thanks :] it took me a while to find this piece actually. I cant remember exactly what kind of wood it is, but it was actually being sold for terrariums. It hasnt leeched any really noticable tannins unlike most pieces of fish-sold wood ive had. I usually wouldnt be brave enough to take terrarium wood and stick it in my tank, but a friend who works at a LFS sold me this having trialled the same wood in their display tanks over several months. Its definitely the best wood ive had in my tank so far - the only downside is it took probably 3 months to properly waterlog and sink.

What a gorgeous tank! That's a great idea Haley ^^ thats also something I would do :)

Thanks ^^ im not really happy with it at the moment because I lost alot of my plants recently - I think im gonna just buy a bunch more Java Fern and some water sprite, simple but fool-proof haha :]

Is there a way you could get someone to buy you and mail you the python? Like someone on here? Because as long as you paid me I would be willing to lol

Haley & Sarajo that is very generous of you both to offer! I may well take one you up on this after Christmas when I have some more disposable income :]

There are other reasons why id be reluctant to set up another large tank though, so im not sure even with a python id want to get another - im just gonna have to keep thinking on it all for now ^^.

Edited by Lucerne

Well I have to say I don't think you should rehome them. I really love these fish :) If you wanted to just set up a 20 gallon and have one goldie that would be a lot easier just to try out, and with only one you wouldn't need to worry about a QT tank or anything :)

But for sure after x-mas you can PM me if you want to take me up on that :)

Do not rehome them for the sake of getting different fish, you will not be as happy as you might think now.

Instead of getting a python, how about making your own water changer system? I do not own a python myself yet I change almost a couple hundred gallons of water each week LOL

What I did is this: I have a gravel vacuum and "shaved" a lot of the material of the end of the hose off to make it smaller.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/DIYPYTHON01.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/DIYPYTHON02.jpg

This way it fits snug into a standard garden hose which I run out the back door. It's kind of like making a massive extension to your gravel vacuum. You just start it as you do always, and just have it drain the tank as much as you want.

If you live in an apartment, you can probably run it into your shower or toilet as well, as long as you secure it so the hose doesn't move and you flood your place.

Of course, the more height difference between the tank and the "outlet" (outside, shower etc), the faster it will drain. But it will work even with 50cm height difference, as I use this to drain the tub that's on the floor. It just takes a little longer.

To refill, go to the hardware store and buy an adapter that will let you connect the garden hose to the bathroom or kitchen faucet, so you can just attach the hose to the faucet and refill the tank.

I prefer this over the python, because this way you do not waste the water used for suction when draining the tank :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I love your tropical tank and your angel is gorgeous :) I also love the shape of your wood piece :)

I also like the suggestion about trying out some goldfish in a tub if you fall in love head over heels then you know it's right for you :)

if not you can return them and move on no harm done ;)

Thanks for encouraging words guys ;D

I do love these fish and I dont really want to rehome them, im just kind of thinking out loud. The main reason for not wanting another tank is between me and my housemate we already have four tanks in this house! theres a border between the cool fishtank people and the crazy fish people I think. Also we rent so theres the eventual problem of moving so many fish.

That being said I am now seriously considering the tub idea - This would be a good trial I think and also the kind of fish I want are good top-view fish anyway. Itd be cheaper than setting up another tank if it didnt work out but easy to upgrade to one if it did. Im gonna think on this more.

Fang - I have also thought about this! I am in a three-floor house and my tank is on the ground floor, where we have an unused bathroom, so I could maybe hook a hose up to the shower in there as a refill system, and just drain the tank out through the french doors into the garden. My only big difficulty on this would be trying to find a suitable length of food-safe hosing as most garden hoses here tend to be treated for algae and id be worried about that leeching back into the tank. This is something im gonna have to look into more ^^

Edited by Lucerne

Your aquarium is very nice. Your plants look so healthy. Seeing your so attached to your fish I wouldn't rehome them anytime soon or you might end up regretting it. It doesn't take long to get attached to fish huh? :)

I do the same as Fang haha I don't own an actual python either because I don't have a sink in my bathroom downstairs that it can be hooked up to. I just got a 25 foot extension for a syphon (it is just the tubing) but it comes in 50 foot lengths too. Then my dad plumbed in a line over my tank to refill it and I use bucktes to refill the small tanks..... but hey it works :)

I definitely think a pond or stock tank for butterfly teles would be nice, since they are top-view fish anyway. And Miss Ingenuity Fang did give a really great suggestion for a replacement for the Python.

Please, though, don't rehome your fish just to get more. You'll miss all of the fun with the old fish.

Thanks everyone ^^ I will be sure to leave one of you the driftwood in my will as it seems very popular haha.

I added some more Java Fern today too so hopefully itll grow in and I can do a proper video at some stage soon - in focus and without algae! :)

I've been looking up food grade hosing online and found some promising leads - my handy housemate will check these out for me when he gets time. I also looked into getting a big container to try out some goldfish but it seems a food grade tub costs about as much as a second hand aquarium :0 I am totally broke at the moment so its all academic for now, but post Christmas if I have enough cash I may just get another 30G tank for goldfish ^^

I prefer this over the python, because this way you do not waste the water used for suction when draining the tank :)

I love your ingenuity! I just wanted to also point out that alot of people do not realize that with a python, after you turn the water on for 10 seconds to get the suction started, you can then turn off your faucet altogether and it will drain away..........thats how I do mine because I feel bad wasting the water too. And if I want it faster, I unhook it from the sink, (while its draining) and very quickly put it into the tub (which is lower) and then its super fast.

Nice tank Lucerne, and I saw no bio-film or algae on the video of the tank!

I agree with alot of the others, keep the fish you are fond of :wub:

Also, I have to know what you are eating in the photo for your avatar. Pudding? Applesauce?

What a great looking tank! And it is hard to believe you have 12 fish in that tank. Only the angel was brave enough to show his/her face, huh? :)

Yeah, Usually the Corys are out at the front but they all vanished that day. Odette the Angel is usually pretty camera-shy so I was lucky to get even her on film I guess!

Nice tank Lucerne, and I saw no bio-film or algae on the video of the tank!

I agree with alot of the others, keep the fish you are fond of :wub:

Also, I have to know what you are eating in the photo for your avatar. Pudding? Applesauce?

Haha, thanks, its not too bad a layer of algae/gunk, its just like a light fuzz, but im having trouble clearing it with my magfloat or scraper - think I may have to try something like a credit-card type piece of strong plastic, id use a razor but my tank is second hand and has some scratches, so id be worried about the blade catching one and scratching the tank more.

The thing im eating in my avatar is Pink Grapefruit ^^ I havent changed it in so long - I think Tithra asked me that same question about a year ago haha!