Sign in to follow this  
rainia00

NOW my MT is infested with white worms!

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a596/rainia00/photo2_zps4703734f.jpg

I'm testing the water now. WHAT the heck are these?? Will Prazi treat them? I just added it. We did a 90% 15 hrs ago and now I came home to this white mass of worms and millions of them floating around my tank.

At the moment there's only the bristle nosed pleco in there, but a few weeks ago the new fish was in there until I got my prazi and found another 10gal QT, so I'm wondering if he left some eggs. How long do they take to hatch?

Do I need to bleach my filter and my tank out? What do I do? How many rounds of prazi do I need to treat a pleco? This is a never ending nightmare!

Crap. I just found a forum about the same exact thing. I think they came from the plants and from when my husband accidentally fed the pleco TONS of algae flakes while I was in the hospital >.< and if that's the case, then they're planaria and harmless, except... they look gross. And clearly the pleco isn't interested in them. Annnnnnnnd I really don't want to introduce my fish into that.

They're free floating and wiggly, but they don't seem to be changing length. They are all the same length and there are TONS. When I got back from the hospital the water was grenish and there was a lot of organic matter accumulated in the glass jar of one of my plants which sits closes to the ship where the pleco lives. It smelled like straight poop. It was horrible. We did a 100% wc after that, and then as I said we just did a 90% one last night. Could they be in my filter?

I think that recent discussions have placed these worms as nematodes, not planaria.

They are most likely harmless, although at the very least, too many of them means that there is quite a bit of excess organic wastes in your tank, which caused the explosion of this population.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have just discovered these exact same tiny worms in my tank. Is there any way to get rid of them?

Do a thorough cleaning of your filter media, and possibly begin to replace some of the padding/sponges. Feed less...

There are de-wormers that you may use to try to kill them off, but I think that this is a dangerous thing to do, because you could end up killing your fish and no so much these worms.

Do a thorough cleaning of your filter media, and possibly begin to replace some of the padding/sponges. Feed less...

There are de-wormers that you may use to try to kill them off, but I think that this is a dangerous thing to do, because you could end up killing your fish and no so much these worms.

I think the culprit may have been some frozen bloodworms that found their way into the filter. I'll rinse all the media at my next WC. Thanks Alex! :D

I ended up removing the amazon sword plants which were the culprit in my tank. I also reintroduced my goldfish who were in a 10gal QT tank, and they had a grand time snacking on the few stragglers who I didn't remove with the 90% wc. After a couple of days, the tank is completely clear. I did clean the plants with a mild bleach solution after I purchased them, but I guess I didn't do a good enough job. I don't think I plan to have plants anymore :(