Oranda & commom

fishy

Hi,

I would like advice for my fish and tank to determine if I need another tank. I have an oranda approximately 4 inches long (including the tail) and I purchased him in July from local chain pet supply store-he was not a small or medium size fish, the kind/size that cost $29.99 (I give price in hopes someone will know the size I am describing. He was released from his QT tank last night and is in a cycled 55 gallon by himself. I also have a common gf (from the carnival 1 & 1/2 years ago that resides in a 20 gallon by herself and she is approximately 3 inches. My question is: I would like to know if I can put them into the 55 together? I completely understand the common are much faster etc and I would be monitoring the oranda's food consumption to make sure the common isn't eating his food (I would feed both fish on separate sides of the tank, they eat repashy soilent green). The other option I have is to keep the oranda in the 55g and get 1-2 more fancies in time and purchase a 56 gallon set up for the common. The 56 g is 30 inches wide-I understand they typically need more length than width so in a few months I can switch the fish and tanks so the common has the 55g (55 inch length). The only inside wall I have available only has 35 inches width for me to put a new stand/tank so that is why I was thinking the 56g versus a 37g stand/tank. Being honest, I would love to be able to keep both fish together in the 55g just to make the maintenance easier but I want to do what is best for the fish. I apologize the post is so long, I just want to make sure I give the right info. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated (for the fish and my pocketbook because the tank sale ends tomorrow. Thanks : )

Yep, the 55 would be perfect for the two of them :) However if you want to get a a couple fancies and put the common in his own 55 gallon (with maybe one more single tail if you'd like) that would be fine too :) I think there are a few members here who keep commons with fancies and have no problems during feeding time.

Edited by sarajo

Sorry, 1 more question I forgot to ask-what percent of water do I need to change and how often now that I will have the 2 fish in there? Thanks.

I have two fancies in a 40 gallon and I change 80% of the water every 3-4 days. As long as the water parameters are good ( 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrates) you can probably get away with changing at least 80% once a week :) I suggest every 3-4 days though, it's beneficial to your fish to have clean water.

• 4 weeks later...

The 2 fish (common and oranda) will be very happy together in the 55!

There is really no reason to do small water changes with goldfish. I do about 90% (I leave just enough water for the fish to still swim in the tank). Some people do a water change every week, some do it every 2 weeks. With just 2 fish, you could likely get away with doing it every 2 weeks, but let your water tests tell you.

What you want to try and match is the temp and the PH when changing water.

But sounds like your on to a good start!

Good Luck!

Edited by Acro

If you feed a block of repashy, your fish can eat together without swim speed having anything to do with it. Just cut a block that is too big for the fish with the biggest mouth (much more important than swim speed) to swallow. Both fish will grab bites from the block. They seem to really enjoy eating together. Don't be afraid to give them a big block. It's mostly water.

• 3 weeks later...

If you feed a block of repashy, your fish can eat together without swim speed having anything to do with it. Just cut a block that is too big for the fish with the biggest mouth (much more important than swim speed) to swallow. Both fish will grab bites from the block. They seem to really enjoy eating together. Don't be afraid to give them a big block. It's mostly water.

What is repashy?

I have a common in with my fancies and he does get a little more because he is just faster (and smaller) but they each get more than enough food without having any leftovers.

When I do a water change, the hose is hooked up to the spigot (outside), so I cannot control the temperature. Because of that, I do about 40% water changes every week (minimum) or after a really messy feeding. With 20 degree temps in Colorado, the water temperature difference is too large for 80% water change. I also found a really large canister filter on Craigslist designed for a tank over double the size. The larger and better filtration, the less you have to change the water (as long as there are no large chunks of food sitting on the bottom).

What is repashy?

I have a common in with my fancies and he does get a little more because he is just faster (and smaller) but they each get more than enough food without having any leftovers.

When I do a water change, the hose is hooked up to the spigot (outside), so I cannot control the temperature. Because of that, I do about 40% water changes every week (minimum) or after a really messy feeding. With 20 degree temps in Colorado, the water temperature difference is too large for 80% water change. I also found a really large canister filter on Craigslist designed for a tank over double the size. The larger and better filtration, the less you have to change the water (as long as there are no large chunks of food sitting on the bottom).

Actually its still important to change the water regardless of high filtration as filters cannot remove hormones secreted by fish which inhibit their growth and longterm health.

If your parameters cant be easily matched you can split the wc into smaller more frequent changes, such as doing a 50% change twice a week (i.e change the water every 3-4days) instead of doing an 80% change once a week.

Edited by Lucerne