Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

Apple

My son is coming home for college break so I was making a couple of his favorite treats, pumpkin muffins and applesauce. Decided to microwave a granny smith slice for the fish, about 90 seconds was perfect in water. Gave them each a small little piece and they gobbled it up, lots of chewing going on. Never sure with new things if they will keep it or spit it out. This was a winner.

I know it has alot of natural sugar so I only gave them each the one piece and will give them another tomorrow.

I think that's really too much, actually, Cindy. Perhaps a slice every couple of weeks might be OK, but certainly not twice in two days. :)

Oh ok, well it wasn't a slice for them, it was about 1/4" piece each, should I still not give them more? They seem so excited to get something new lol

Oooh. Thanks for sharing. I just got a few free (but wormy) apples from a neighbor. At least I know a few fishes who might enjoy them. Funny thing is I'm also making persimmon muffins today. :P

Oh ok, well it wasn't a slice for them, it was about 1/4" piece each, should I still not give them more? They seem so excited to get something new lol

I know. They are goldfish, and unless they are dying (sometimes even then), they will get excited over food. It's our job to make sure that they get a good mix. Fruits are OK to give every long once in a while, but it really should not be a regular thing. Just because they eat it, doesn't mean it's good. The same is true with babies and candies.

You might argue that the citruses are OK to give more often, because of the benefits of Vitamin C, but that's about it.

I know. They are goldfish, and unless they are dying (sometimes even then), they will get excited over food. It's our job to make sure that they get a good mix. Fruits are OK to give every long once in a while, but it really should not be a regular thing. Just because they eat it, doesn't mean it's good. The same is true with babies and candies.

You might argue that the citruses are OK to give more often, because of the benefits of Vitamin C, but that's about it.

Oh alright then, I will toss the rest of the slice. Yesterday they seemed excited after being fed repashy for the last month straight to get a pro-gold pellet each.

And I gave them a small amount of blood worms yesterday for the first time. It was like a feeding frenzy and it was only about 1/2 of a little cube.

Edited by cmclien

Blood worms are great, as are brine shrimp. Daphnia is another option. :rofl

Blood worms are still the #1 favorite for my guys. I don't mind since they're so healthy and I can give them once or twice a week. :)