Sign in to follow this  
erictruong

Pros and Cons of Saki - Hikari vs. Hikari Lionhead?

I just want a good comparison of the two different fish foods. I have in my main tank 2 Orandas, 1 Ryukin, 1 Ranchu, 1 Crown Pearlscale. Which one of these foods would be better for my goldfish?

Both are excellent foods, however, Saki Hikari contains probiotics which helps aid in digestion, helps keep the digestive tract healthy, and in turn benefits overall health. I've grabbed the image below from the Hikari site here, it should help illustrate the probiotic effect in Saki Hikari a little better.

Please do keep in mind all pellet foods have the potential for over-pronouncing floatiness in goldfish. At the end of the day, it comes down to the individual fish and/or any swim bladder issues they may have.

10det01_01.gif

I use Hikari Lionhead as one of my staple foods.. I soak them for 5 mins cause they do expand but never had a problem with them. I just wish they would make Saki Hikari Purple bag the same size pellets :(

I find the best food for them is variety. I mix 7 types of pellets, New life spectrum, hikari lion head, hikari gold, hikari koi food varieties as well as some spirulina based pellets. The more variety of pellets the better... In summer I drop in several live earthworms from my worm farm and they gobble those up very quickly

Edited by Lillee

I find the best food for them is variety. I mix 7 types of pellets, New life spectrum, hikari lion head, hikari gold, hikari koi food varieties as well as some spirulina based pellets. The more variety of pellets the better... In summer I drop in several live earthworms from my worm farm and they gobble those up very quickly

Actually could you actually tell us why variety is better? I actually don't think it's quite true. In a habitat, foods vary by season, and not daily. Even by season, it doesn't change drastically.

I would argue that variety is not what is best, but good food that meets their needs.

This just seems like a rather expensive endeavour. Do you substitute pellets with flora, particularly greens? Pellet foods aren't supposed to make up the entirety of a goldfish's diet, they're descended from river dwelling carp who have access to a veritable degustation course ranging from invertebrates to algae. As dnalex has stated, diet is seasonally based, so regular variety is not always best. :)

So I purchased the Lionhead food and the Saki was sold out, but this food is definately the best I have fed my fish! The INSTANT sinking is a lot better than needing to pre soak before feeding and the fish just went wild when i dropped this food in! I can't wait until I get my hands on the saki food as well!

So I purchased the Lionhead food and the Saki was sold out, but this food is definately the best I have fed my fish! The INSTANT sinking is a lot better than needing to pre soak before feeding and the fish just went wild when i dropped this food in! I can't wait until I get my hands on the saki food as well!

We've got the Saki Hikari in stock at tastyworms.com whenever you need :).

@ tasty worms - I just purchased 2 of them! Was only suppose to buy one but oh well, Will come in use anyways haha!

@ tasty worms - I just purchased 2 of them! Was only suppose to buy one but oh well, Will come in use anyways haha!

Now there is no danger of running out :) Thank you!

Even sinking pellets should be presoaked.

Even sinking pellets should be presoaked.

:exactly

1st They may still have air trapped inside them which can be bad for your fish. 2nd They expand in water.. Just soak one for 5 mins and see it double in size

Ohhh ic... I just fed them again tonight and I soaked them this time :P SAKI pellets are sinking ones right?

Yes, this is a sinking pellet. The expiration date is at least a year out, probably more. Got this case directly from Hikari last week, so it is very fresh :).

Ohhh ic... I just fed them again tonight and I soaked them this time :P SAKI pellets are sinking ones right?

Be sure to keep the bag closed and store them in a cool, dry place for maximum shelf life/yumminess for your fish :)

Yes, this is a sinking pellet. The expiration date is at least a year out, probably more. Got this case directly from Hikari last week, so it is very fresh :).

Oh good, I just ordered it from you :)