Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Too much protein for Orandas?

I have noticed since I have been feeding one whole gumdrop (San Francisco Bay brand) of bloodworm 2-3 times a week to Clementine her fin and wen growth have both skyrocketed and she's been filling out. So I have a question here: Is there such a thing as too much protein for an Oranda? She seems to be so much healthier with these added protein boosts, I have to wonder if adding some Repashy Meat Pie to her diet might make her even healthier-looking.

I am sure there is a point where you can feed too much protein, but from your description it sounds ok. Just keep in mind that in nature goldfish eat a lot of algae and plant material. Taking this away can cause issues such as floating.

I'd keep it well balanced with 30-40% protein and the rest veggies.

With one whole gumdrop of SFB do you mean 1 cube? Because that is what looks like a gumdrop in size. I wouldn't feed all that at once but half a cube every other day, just to have it spread out more evenly :)

Fang, I think the gumdrop is slightly smaller than the cube, but barely so. I agree with you in dividing into two smaller meals. :)

Also, there is a huge difference between meat pie and blood worms. Sardine, squid, and krill comprise the main animal components of the meat pie, and this is very different from blood worms. Steve Hopkins argues in article he wrote (available on his RG website) that blood worms somehow contain just the right building blocks for goldfish.

It seems as though what you have now is working well for you. Pushing for even faster growth may actually result in detrimental effects. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Might be to little or it might be to much depending on who you ask...for example some breeder/people feed only bloodworms and pellet food five times a day to their fish but personally it all depends on how you want to groom your fish in the end.