Taking fry on a road trip...

Fishlet

Two of my goldies Jumbo (red/white male oranda) and Fire (red female ryukin) spawned last Saturday! The fry are now 8-9 days old as some hatched last Monday and some hatched on Tuesday. :)

Soooo...with Thanksgiving and all coming up my husband and I are supposed to fly to Portland to visit my family for a week next Tuesday. On top of that we are flying to Wisconsin for two weeks in December to visit his family. Neither trip can be cancelled as telling my new in-laws or my parents that I would rather spend Christmas with my baby goldfish would not go over well... :blink: And...I couldn't bear to just clean out the eggs as they came from two of my most favorite goldies and I've never had fry before.

At first my husband thoughfully suggested that we could take the baby goldies as a carry-on on the airplane - he really likes them too but can you imagine TSA??? It would be like..."TSA - do you have any liquids? Me - yup, only about 200 baby goldfish in this here bucket." Yeeks. Next, he suggested checking them in as baggage! :wall His last idea wasn't awful but I still don't think it would work which is to have one of our friends take care of them - needless to say NONE of our friends have any fish experience!

We have now decided to drive from San Jose, CA to Portland, OR instead and my mom has graciously offered to babysit the fry over Christmas. We are then planning to drive back in early January and pick them up. My mom has two goldies of her own so she knows how to test/change water, not overfeed etc. so I think this is our best shot although I'm bummed she will get to see them develop a lot.

I'm wondering what thoughts people have as to how I can best get them to Portland in one piece alive and kicking. It's about a 12 hr drive and so far the plan is to put the babies in a bucket with a lid with some food. Then I'd use a battery powered air pump to run the sponge filter + airstone. I don't think there will be too much of a temperature difference as they are currently at 74 degrees and I don't think the car will be less than 72 while driving. I'm bringing the tank, heater, pipettes, brine shrimp hatchery etc. with me to set up. Alternatively, I guess I could put them in a plastic tub in a styrofoam cooler to keep the temp stable???

In any case, here are a couple of pics of them I took yesterday at 7-8 days old. :) I can't seem to take very good pictures, but they are growing nicely!

Fry111212-crop.jpg

Fry2111212.jpg

My goodness! So many babies! I'll give you my address so you can stop by and drop a few off :P I hope the trip goes well! The styrofoam cooler is a good idea, that way you can prevent too much sloshing. It does get really cold at night up here though, so just make sure you keep an eye on the temperature as it gets colder at night. It has been around 35-40 degrees at night!

• Supporter

Oh, gosh. That's fantastic! I'm so glad you guys are figuring a way to help keel them.

Good luck! :)

very unfortunate spelling error young man :rofl

that's awesome! look at those lil bellies :wub: i think your method in a tub and a battery powered airpump is fine.. just stock up on those batteries and try to feed as little as possible.

my recommendation for water changes if needed is 1. bring your own water or 2. use springwater purchased from the store. however, if you use spring water, be prepared to add PH buffer to it.

Oh, gosh. That's fantastic! I'm so glad you guys are figuring a way to help keel them.

Haha thanks! I'm sure my husband does think I'm a bit nuts but he spends a fair amount of time in front of the tank w/a magnifying glass too.

My goodness! So many babies! I'll give you my address so you can stop by and drop a few off :P I hope the trip goes well! The styrofoam cooler is a good idea, that way you can prevent too much sloshing. It does get really cold at night up here though, so just make sure you keep an eye on the temperature as it gets colder at night. It has been around 35-40 degrees at night!

Yup, there are a lot of them! I thought at first there was mayyybe...100 but after they started growing I realized I couldn't count. Either that or they multiplied since there seem to be twice as many. :D Hey! If you do want some and they survive the trip w/my mom we'll be swinging by Albany on the way back in January. ;) I'll keep you posted on progress. I think you're right, the styrofoam cooler would really help - just gotta find a container that will fit in it.

Hopefully it won't get any colder! We're hoping to drive up 1-5 through the Siskyous mountains and not the longer 101 coastal route so really hoping there's no snow.

very unfortunate spelling error young man :rofl

that's awesome! look at those lil bellies :wub: i think your method in a tub and a battery powered airpump is fine.. just stock up on those batteries and try to feed as little as possible.

my recommendation for water changes if needed is 1. bring your own water or 2. use springwater purchased from the store. however, if you use spring water, be prepared to add PH buffer to it.

Ooh yeah, batteries! I still gotta get boatloads of those. Thx for reminding! And the suggestion for bringing extra water is definitely good - didn't think about that. We have hard water where we live so I've never had to buffer and the fry seem to like it but where my mom lives her water is normal to slightly on the soft side so she has to use buffer with hers.

How long can fry go without food? I'm currently feeding 3 times a day but for a 12hr road trip what would you recommend for reducing the amount?

Yup, there are a lot of them! I thought at first there was mayyybe...100 but after they started growing I realized I couldn't count. Either that or they multiplied since there seem to be twice as many. :D Hey! If you do want some and they survive the trip w/my mom we'll be swinging by Albany on the way back in January. ;) I'll keep you posted on progress. I think you're right, the styrofoam cooler would really help - just gotta find a container that will fit in it.

Hopefully it won't get any colder! We're hoping to drive up 1-5 through the Siskyous mountains and not the longer 101 coastal route so really hoping there's no snow.

There shouldn't be snow on the drive up, there might be some on the drive down, though. If there is and you can't get through, be sure to stop in Yreka as that is the last town before the checkpoint (coming from Portland)! When I was going from Oregon to California in the spring we couldn't get through and ended up wasting 4 hours going back and fourth between Yreka and the checkpoint because we kept trying to find snow chains but no one had the right sizes! Hah! Keep us all updated! Can't wait to see how beautiful they are when they mature (:

Oh my gosh you have a ton of babies. How big are they now? So cute. That is so neat that your husband is so supportive of your fish and that both of you are deciding on how to take your fry with you when you go on your Holiday Vacation.

There shouldn't be snow on the drive up, there might be some on the drive down, though. If there is and you can't get through, be sure to stop in Yreka as that is the last town before the checkpoint (coming from Portland)! When I was going from Oregon to California in the spring we couldn't get through and ended up wasting 4 hours going back and fourth between Yreka and the checkpoint because we kept trying to find snow chains but no one had the right sizes! Hah! Keep us all updated! Can't wait to see how beautiful they are when they mature (:

Yeah, my mom said the same thing that I should get snow chains when we're in Portland in case we need them when we return in January to pick up the fishies. She thinks the weather will be worse then. Not that I have a clue how to put them on haha. I'll definitely keep you all updated - hopefully with more pics once I get them to Portland. :) Right now is kind of crazy since I'm trying to make sure I don't forget anything. Still have to run to the store to get batteries and all.

Oh my gosh you have a ton of babies. How big are they now? So cute. That is so neat that your husband is so supportive of your fish and that both of you are deciding on how to take your fry with you when you go on your Holiday Vacation.

The babies are about 1/2 inch long right now. Kind of hard to measure since they dart around so fast now. :D Yeah, my husband is super cool about my goldfish obsession although I'm sure he didn't think we'd go from just a 20 gallon tank to adding a 75 gallon and 40 gallon in less than one year. But I think I might have convinced him to get me another 40 gallon tank as a Christmas present since I told him the fish need more swimming room so keeping fingers crossed! Another 75 gallon would be ideal but it doesn't fit in our cars and I don't think he wants to bug his friend with a truck again.

Update on the babies, they are growing fast!! :) Here's a few pics I took of them 2 days ago at 12 days old. They now have teeny tiny dorsal fins and suck up baby brine shrimp like little vacuum cleaners. Tomorrow we leave for Portland - I hope they survive the road trip ok.

MMM...brine shrimp!

111812Fry2.png

Where's the food?

111812Fry3.png

How big they are compared to my heater.

111812Fry1.jpg

Yeah, my mom said the same thing that I should get snow chains when we're in Portland in case we need them when we return in January to pick up the fishies. She thinks the weather will be worse then. Not that I have a clue how to put them on haha. I'll definitely keep you all updated - hopefully with more pics once I get them to Portland. :) Right now is kind of crazy since I'm trying to make sure I don't forget anything. Still have to run to the store to get batteries and all.

The babies are about 1/2 inch long right now. Kind of hard to measure since they dart around so fast now. :D Yeah, my husband is super cool about my goldfish obsession although I'm sure he didn't think we'd go from just a 20 gallon tank to adding a 75 gallon and 40 gallon in less than one year. But I think I might have convinced him to get me another 40 gallon tank as a Christmas present since I told him the fish need more swimming room so keeping fingers crossed! Another 75 gallon would be ideal but it doesn't fit in our cars and I don't think he wants to bug his friend with a truck again.

1/2 inch is small. How cute. You sound like me as in upgrading your tank and asking a friend to help because they have a truck and you don't. I did the same thing ....twice to a friend and in about a 6 wk period or so. You should just go for the big 75 if you can afford it. I bet your friend won't mind helping. In the long run at least you will have two nice big 75 gallon tanks. Wishing a safe trip for all of you and your fish. :)

They are looking nice.....good luck with the road trip ?

Thanks! They are growing like weeds. All of them survived! :)

Oh how pretty they are! Crossing my fingers all goes well and none of them get car sick :D

Hahaha! Eeps, that would be bad. Lots of little fish barf... :wacko: I don't think they liked driving that much though. They all were huddled in the middle of the rubbermaid container when we got to Portland.

1/2 inch is small. How cute. You sound like me as in upgrading your tank and asking a friend to help because they have a truck and you don't. I did the same thing ....twice to a friend and in about a 6 wk period or so. You should just go for the big 75 if you can afford it. I bet your friend won't mind helping. In the long run at least you will have two nice big 75 gallon tanks. Wishing a safe trip for all of you and your fish. :)

Yeah, I might have to have the new tank be my Christmas and birthday present. If that's the case I won't get it till March but I agree, getting the 75 would just be so much easier down the road. Btw, we drove right by Albany! The drive itself was horrid because it was raining so hard and we could hardly see. And then we had to detour in Eugene because I-5 totally stopped because of an accident or something. The babies are now happily in a larger tank.

Btw, I'll try to post some pics tomorrow or Friday of them for you all! They now have all of their fins! Their ventral and anal fins must have developed last night. I just haven't had a chance with trying to set everything up and with my mom hosting Thanksgiving tomorrow for the entire extended family (lots of cooking...).

They are looking nice.....good luck with the road trip

Thanks! They are growing like weeds. All of them survived! :)

Oh how pretty they are! Crossing my fingers all goes well and none of them get car sick :D

Hahaha! Eeps, that would be bad. Lots of little fish barf... :wacko: I don't think they liked driving that much though. They all were huddled in the middle of the rubbermaid container when we got to Portland.

Yeah, I might have to have the new tank be my Christmas and birthday present. If that's the case I won't get it till March but I agree, getting the 75 would just be so much easier down the road. Btw, we drove right by Albany! The drive itself was horrid because it was raining so hard and we could hardly see. And then we had to detour in Eugene because I-5 totally stopped because of an accident or something. The babies are now happily in a larger tank.

Btw, I'll try to post some pics tomorrow or Friday of them for you all! They now have all of their fins! Their ventral and anal fins must have developed last night. I just haven't had a chance with trying to set everything up and with my mom hosting Thanksgiving tomorrow for the entire extended family (lots of cooking...).

:rofl I think you meant to quote 4prettyfish with that^^ :rofl :rofl I have never had a friend with a truck help me upgrade :rofl I am glad they made it safely. For the past couple of days it has been storming pretty badly! Must have been a scary drive!

:rofl I think you meant to quote 4prettyfish with that^^ :rofl :rofl I have never had a friend with a truck help me upgrade :rofl I am glad they made it safely. For the past couple of days it has been storming pretty badly! Must have been a scary drive!

Yikes! Oooops, you're right. I was trying to use the multiquote feature and I got all mixed up. :D It WAS a scary drive. Drove back to California yesterday, the weather was much better!

Ooops, so apparently I messed up using the multiquote option and accidentally replied to your quote to lovelychaos instead of you. :)

The babies are now probably 3/4 of an inch to one inch if you count their tiny tails. Yup, I'm definitely pushing for the 75 gallon for my bday. Did a cost analysis on how much HOB filters would run vs getting another canister and the canister leaves me with a $200 surplus in about 5 years so that is helping me convince my husband we need another giganto tank! :D

Here are some more pictures of them. Apologies for the delay in posting! Thanksgiving was crazy with relatives plus I was changing water 50% twice daily, feeding 4-5 times daily live baby brine shrimp + transitioning to soaked/crushed flakes, and pipetting out poop every time I fed them so I didn't have a chance to post.

Out of the ~200+ babies, my mom is babysitting the 28 I chose to grow. I would have loved to keep more but I did this based on space. The rest did not have significant defects as those were already culled before I left. A LFS up in Portland offered to take all of my remaining culls so long as they did not have missing gill plates, fins, curved backs etc. So that is where they went and the store is planning to grow them in their planted tanks and sell when they are large enough. :)

In this picture, the babies are in their transit container. They were exactly 2 weeks old. I used a ~5 gallon rubbermaid and drilled 2 holes in the top. One was for the battery operated air pump and the other was for air circulation to let old air out. Used a luggage strap to make sure the container did not open and kept water from sloshing out. Then I wrapped the rubbermaid in bubble wrap and placed it in a large insulated cooler bag. I also brought several liters of treated water from our house just in case we needed extra water, my brine shrimp setup, existing sponge filter in a plastic bag to keep it damp, lots of extra batteries, extra battery operated air pump, extra tubing, and Hikari First Bites (which my babies HATED for some reason, they would take a bite and spit it out lol).

photo4.jpg

Here they are situated in their tank once we got to Portland. I have since added another sponge filter in the other corner. As you can see, they are starting to look a bit crowded hence only keeping 28 and rehoming the rest.

photo2.jpg

Here they are at 3.5 weeks old feeding.

photo1.jpg

Close up picture that's a bit clearer. You can see they are no longer translucent and they now have tiny ventral and anal fins. They move much faster so pictures are harder to take.

photo.jpg

I'll have my mom send me updated pictures of the remaining 28. One of them is pretty cool and is much darker color wise - almost a blackish silver so I nicknamed him Blackie. He's not as pudgy as the rest but has decent form.

Ooops, so apparently I messed up using the multiquote option and accidentally replied to your quote to lovelychaos instead of you. :)

The babies are now probably 3/4 of an inch to one inch if you count their tiny tails. Yup, I'm definitely pushing for the 75 gallon for my bday. Did a cost analysis on how much HOB filters would run vs getting another canister and the canister leaves me with a $200 surplus in about 5 years so that is helping me convince my husband we need another giganto tank! :D

I read all the posts anyway so I knew who and what you were talking about. No problem :) 3/4 Wow. They are growing fast. Hope you get your bigger tank for your b-day. At least it's something that you really want and your husband knows what you want. :)

Thanks! :) Yup, my mom is great. My dad, however, would always half-jokingly tell me growing up that he was going to try out his fishing lures on my fish and or add some salt to the tank because they were getting too big.

Today my fry are 4 weeks old! Here are some updated pics and a video courtesy of my Mom.

Video of them eating and swimming:

http://s1352.beta.photobucket.com/user/Fishlet/media/Baby%20Goldies/4WeekOlds.mp4.html

Some pictures:

More4WkFry.jpg

Close-up shot:

4WeekOldFry.jpg

Edited by Fishlet