Sign in to follow this  
thefishnotthecrackers

Monster of a Bio-filter

So in my bare bottom 75 gallon tank, i have 2 orandas, 2 ryukins, and one fantail. I have 2 Emperor 400 Bio-Wheel HOB filters. However! I really want to add a huge enhancement to my bio component of filtration. So I was thinking of having a 20 gallon long sump about 3/8 full of ceramic rings and gravel. I have a few questions. 1) Lol I know this is cheap but for the pump that leads water down into the sump, can I use a plain old siphon? If this works out, then I can save money and buy one return pump? 2) If I were to do what I mentioned in my previous question, would I need a ball valve on the return pump to match the siphon's GPH? 3) Do you recommend baffles? If so, do you recommend acrylic or glass?

Oh, and if you think I should have an overflow unit, I would really prefer a DIY design of a HOB overflow. Thanks everyone! I won this tank in a raffle. I thought 20 gallons was big! Haha. And plz be easy on me ;) I'm an amateur.

Do not use a pump to drain the water to the sump. That can be a disaster! Use a overflow with a good return pump. If you decide to do this you can ditch the HOB filters, they would not be needed. You can use your old 20 gallon tank to make your own sump! Get your money's worth. :)

From what I understand, most sumps really only work by using the siphoning principle to get the water out of the tank. Having this in an overflow to prevent the tank from being drained in case of power outages is a great way.

Then you only need a return pump to pump the water back up into the tank :)

I think this could definitely be done, though I haven't looked into DIYing the overflow part. But I'm sure there are a lot of saltwater keeper out there who have. You might google around a bit to check out what other people have done.

Why not build a pond-type filter like this one? Mine is just utilitarian, but if you use a nice flowerpot for the filter container and fill the top with plants, it becomes beautiful. It is also cheaper and performs better than any aquarium filter, and you don't have to drill.