Sign in to follow this  
HappyPercy

Best submersible heaters?

I am looking at a heater for a fish tank I'm taking care of at work. It's 30 gallons, and has a couple goldfish in it. The room gets cold (sometimes 60 degrees) when they turn the heat off at night. What size heater should I get and what are the best ones? I had the stealth heaters for a long time until I heard there was a recall on them and got rid of them.

Aqueon Pro 200 is what I have for my 55 gallon. I've seen a lot of people use the Aqueon's.

I think that is pretty neat that you want your fish at work to be at a good temp when all of you are gone for the night.

hot topic lately! :P

I also use the Aqueon pro heaters. I have used the eheim jagers as well, which I generally like, but the aqueon's are more user friendly in my experience. The 100 watt ones are rated for a 30 gallon, but you may need a little more umph to keep the temp where you want just given the house temp so a 150 watt may be more appropriate :idont

I am looking at a heater for a fish tank I'm taking care of at work. It's 30 gallons, and has a couple goldfish in it. The room gets cold (sometimes 60 degrees) when they turn the heat off at night. What size heater should I get and what are the best ones? I had the stealth heaters for a long time until I heard there was a recall on them and got rid of them.

I had several stealth heaters also. They offered replacements on the heaters if you contacted them. It was rather easy and the replacements have worked well for me. :)

Always go for one that is rated one tank bigger than yours... so if you have a 50 gallon tank get one that is rated for 55-75 ect... :thumb:

I have been using Eheim Jager heaters for over 3 years and have not had a problem. :) All the good LFS around me use Jager heaters for their livestock, and have been for decades.

I have a few of the aqueon pro heaters and am happy with them. They don't seem to fluctuate at all, my tank temp always reads 74. Once you get it to the right temp it won't take as much to hold it there as it will to heat it up if its cold. I have noticed on all of them I have to set it 2 degrees warmer for some reason. So I have them all set at around 76 and I don't think I could 3 bad thermometers.....

Edited by cmclien

I have noticed on all of them I have to set it 2 degrees warmer for some reason. So I have them all set at around 76 and I don't think I could 3 bad thermometers.....

I think the room temp has something to do with that. It makes a difference if you keep your house at 67* vs 73* . . . at least I would think it does. On my main tank (no heater) it tends to be a couple degrees colder in the morning since we keep the house cooler at night. :)

Another factor would be tank size. If it's rated 55-75 gallons you'll need it set a bit higher in the 75 gallon to get the same tank temp as you would in a 55 gallon in my experience anyway.

Edited by fantailfan1

Always go for one that is rated one tank bigger than yours... so if you have a 50 gallon tank get one that is rated for 55-75 ect...

I agree! :)