Sign in to follow this  
tassiegold

Eheim Pro 3 Canister Filter

Hi guys I'm looking at buying an eheim pro 3 canister filter for my new 300L (80 Gal) tank as I heard that it is very reliable brand. I came across some reviews on amazon which said that it has a leaking problem after a couple of months use. These reviews were done almost a year ago.

I also read a review done on Koko's about this filter back in March by Peter D and there was some good comments about it.

So I just wanted some more feedback if anyone has encountered any problems with using this filter. Also feel free to recommend another product that might be best suited for this size tank. Cheers. :)

Can't comment on that particular one but eheim in general are a very good brand.

I have an eheim 2217 on my 30G and, true, the lid can be tricky to get on and sealed but it's a darn good canister.

I have a Eheim Pro 3 2075 on my 100 gallon (to go with a wet-dry) I have had it for almost two years now and never had a leaking problem. The filter is a workhorse, the flow never decreases, I clean the mechanical filter pad every 4-6 weeks, takes 5 minutes. And it holds a crap load of media. Most of the time it comes with all the media you need too, which itself bought separately could cost over 80 bucks! The filter is def, worth the money. I found a great deal on it on Ebay, fosterandsmith.com also has good sales on their canister filters.

I think with any canister you should put it in a bin

I had a leaking problem with mine but this was after I had it for over 4 years... It was leaking where the primer was and there wasnt a way to get inside of it to fix. Other than that, it was a great filter and If i had the money I would get another one :thumb:

I have 4 2080s and I like them very much.I have had to replace some seals,but that's no biggie.

So would you say canisters in general are tricky to seal properly and people perceive this as leaking, or is this a real issue?

If seals are a problem, that should be no problem to order replacements. Looks like new seals for the models we were talking about are about $25 or $5 depending on which ones go.

Also, while we have your attention, if you could please recommend a canister filter for an 80g :).

The leak I had Chris was an unusual one, normally if the leak happens its the main seal around the top... Mine was in the seal top part where the big prime button was. Over all Eheims rarely break down. In my opinion they are the the top of the line of the Canister filters, just like AC filters are the top for the HOB filters.

Are you adding a filter or would this canister be the main source of filtering?

Here is a video about the leak around the priming button, this guy has his own fix.

This is why I'm looking a a couple Eheim classics rather than the pros, A buddy at work has had his 2217 since the 1980's and it's still running strong, he has only replaced the impeller once. :)

Well that Video would have helped me 7 years ago when I did have my Eheim... Dont have it anymore, cause at that time there wasnt a youtube :lol:rofl

But thank you, I hope that helps others :)

Thank goodness for youtube and Kokos! If cell phones and facebook were taken away, people would go nuts! It's crazy how much we rely on tech now. So, what Eheim did you have, and which one would you get now?

The leak I had Chris was an unusual one, normally if the leak happens its the main seal around the top... Mine was in the seal top part where the big prime button was. Over all Eheims rarely break down. In my opinion they are the the top of the line of the Canister filters, just like AC filters are the top for the HOB filters.

It's my understanding this would be the main filter.

Can't go wrong with a Fluval FX5, that filter is a beast. Have it on a 100 gallon. :D

Thank goodness for youtube and Kokos! If cell phones and facebook were taken away, people would go nuts! It's crazy how much we rely on tech now. So, what Eheim did you have, and which one would you get now?

I had the Eheim 2226 Pro I loved it :thumb Would have another one :thumb:

It's my understanding this would be the main filter.

Eheim 2226 Pro or the ones made like this... They are great, like I said I only had that one problem, but over all it was a great canister, easy to clean, and so quiet :thumb:

Or the Eheim Professionel 3, just watched a video of it and Man it made me Sing :thumb:

WOOT!