New Life Spectrum

Lucerne

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a good quality dry food to feed my tropicals (particularly my Angelfish Odette) to help enhance colour and vigour.

I currently just feed generic store bought dry food (i.e. Tetra granule stuff) alongside fresh veg and frozen bloodworm/daphnia, but I havent been happy with this for a little while now. My fish are healthy, and while they sometimes look great, other times Odette loses her bright blue "sheen". I think it is diet related (when she has less frozen food and more of the dry food her colours fade).

Im starting to make my own gel food and will continue to feed fresh veg and frozen foods, but I also really want to find a good quality granulated/pellet food.

I have been hearing some good things about the New Life Spectrum foods and wondered if any of you have tried this brand at all, either the goldfish or tropical varieties, if you have id love to hear from you, as I want to get a feel for the brand-quality (I myself am looking at the community, cichlid and discus preparations they offer). A brief forum search showed a few positive comments about NLS for but id like to hear about it more in depth if possible.

If you have used it, did you find it was beneficial for growth/colour/health in your fish? would you recommend it?

If not do you have any other suggestions on quality tropical foods (im also looking at Hikari but have heard mixed reviews). I know alot of you either have/do keep large tropicals so any advice would be great :]

Sometimes angelfish just go pale. My stripped one loses his strips. Most the time he is just upset. Like when I do water changes. Or stick my hands in the tank. As long as you are feeding a varied diet your angelfish well be fine. As long as he is not pale all the time I don't worry about it.

I use NLS with my two goldies. They have been getting a mix of NLS Thera+A, Tetra Prima granuels and frozen bloodworms. They have shown very good growth going from 1 gram and 3 grams to 12 grams and 24 grams in approx 7 months. :)

I use NLS with my two goldies. They have been getting a mix of NLS Thera+A, Tetra Prima granuels and frozen bloodworms. They have shown very good growth going from 1 gram and 3 grams to 12 grams and 24 grams in approx 7 months. :)

Omg, Nina, you had micro-fish :rofl

I remember when even a little NLS granule was almost too much for them :rofl

I love the New Life Spectrum Pellets for my goldfish. I bought it almost 3 wks ago (somewhere around that time) It's my favorite fish food at this time. I do feed my fish the Hikari and the Omega One gf food also. I just love it all. I find it very convienent to buy at any one of my two favorite pet stores. Over the last several weeks I have noticed that my Red Capped Oranda is changing colors. I don't know if it has anything to do with the NLS or the other foods I feed. But she was all white except for her red wen. Now her tail and under her mouth area is turning yellow. I'm loving the color change. My fish are still small ranging from 2 1/2 inches to 3 1/2 inches. But this morning I took out my ruler and tried measuring them while they were eating their peas and I think they all have grown a little more. My 3 1/2 inch Orange Oranda looks closer to 4 inches. My Red Capped Oranda looks closer to 3 inches (instead of 2 1/2) and the other two (black moor and crowned pearlscale) look over 2 1/2 inches. Have they grown more since I've been feeding them NLS? Not sure. The New Life Spectrum has lots of veggies, protein, and vitamins in it. I usually give this food to my fish daily but I do vary it up with the other foods. I feed them twice a day.

Omg, Nina, you had micro-fish :rofl

I remember when even a little NLS granule was almost too much for them :rofl

Yeah, poor Sheldon was too small to eat the smallest size granule :rofl They gobble them up super fast nowadays though :D

I feed nls and veggies with my Goldie's and my oranda gained 17grams in a month

How big was your oranda to start, GCourtney? That seems like a really fast growth. Too much, actually, which can be detrimental for your fish down the line. :(

This is great info guys, thanks all! and congrats on the fish growth too :]

Im glad that it seems to live up to its reputation. Im especially pleased that it has maybe helped enhance your fish's colours 4Prettyfish as thats what im aiming for really.

I think I will probably go for the Discus formulation first time around as generally food for Discus is the most suitable for Angelfish too. I may at some other time go for the community or cichlid formulas, depending on how pleased I feel with the product.

I will let you all know how it works out!

Hidr - thanks for the reassurance! :] she is not too bad and its not something that I worry about hugely, just a niggle really, as I want to consistently feed the best quality food I can for her. Im due to restock on dry food soon so I figure its a good time for a change :)

Edited by Lucerne

Well I'm not sure why my Red Capped Oranda is changing colors. I'm new to fish keeping and I thought red capped oranda's were suppose to be white fish w/red wens????

I'm liking the color change though. Personally, I just think the New Life Spectrum food is a good healthy choice that isn't going to put a dent in my wallet. It was about $10.00 give or take a dollar for a small container (5oz?? don't have in front of me) It will last a long time for my 4 small fish. My red cap is also rounding out which I love. He was long and skinny. The other 3 fish look great also.

I feed nls and veggies with my Goldie's and my oranda gained 17grams in a month

How big was your oranda to start, GCourtney? That seems like a really fast growth. Too much, actually, which can be detrimental for your fish down the line. :(

it was 13 grams I only feed about six pellets three times aday