Sign in to follow this  
ahardeay

Sleeping spots for fish?

Do your goldfish have favorite sleeping spots? I often see me red tele has the same sleeping spot in the tank and my red cap oranda does too. My tele likes to sleep in the leaves of the anubias and my red cap likes to sleep next to the sponge filter.

how cute :)

mine just play stacks on and sleep bunched in a corner together.. happens to be the corner where they can see me enter the room :rofl

Clover sleeps at the bottom in one of the far left corners of the tank. Callisto sleeps near the surface in one of the far right corners of the tank. I think it's funny how they stay as far apart as possible when they're sleeping.

Mine too Fry sleeps at bottom left.. Coal about 2-3" from the surface near the top right.. While Fry likes to "paddle quick" Coal slowly "paddles" at a head tilted down angle :wacko:

Boy I need a nap. I'm like, how can spots sleep? Don't they just lay there? Bobblehead moment :rofl

Bing sleeps in the bottom back left hand corner of the tank and Bilbo starts out at the top but usually by morning she's on the bottom too. I didn't realize for a long time that they actually have times of sleep where they will lay down. I thought there was something wrong with them.

Edited by cmclien

Mine just hover about. I haven't noticed any particular spot. :idont

Yeah mine also sleep in the same spots. The white one will always sleep and nap in the same spot in corner between a decoration and a plant along the bottom. The plant hangs over him keeping him stationary.

Otis tends to sleep at the top while Eden sleeps at the bottom

I have only noticed Rusty likes to hover mid tank mostly on the left side, the rest kind of huddle in the back right side corner ;) LOL

Yin rest in the back behind the fake plants i the left corner. Yang in the front right, with the tip of his tail in the bubble wall.

Yin rest in the back behind the fake plants i the left corner. Yang in the front right, with the tip of his tail in the bubble wall.

be sure to check that the current is not too strong in the tank. this could be that Yang is slightly weaker than Yin and is being pulled to the bubble wall by the current whilst resting. if the tail is exposed to this repeatedly, it can cause freying which possibly lead to finrot.

one way to be sure is to paperclip the airline tubing. if after doing this Yang is not typically resting at the bubble wall, then the current was a little too strong for him/her.

Cali likes to sleep in the front corner. If I place an ornament there she sits on top of it or knocks it over...(This week a seahorse was in her way, now its laying down. Abraham has taken to a spot under the fake plants, Google likes to sleep next to him. Bamboo doesn't care where he sleeps as long as it's near the back and takes 10 minutes to find him and panic me :P Tiger likes to sleep with Cali. Honey will sleep everyone.

Is it normal for goldfish to bottom sit at night while sleeping? My fish always seems to bottom sits when I enter the room in the morning and haven't turned the lights on. He is otherwise healthy though. So I guess my fish's favorite sleep spot is in the gravel since I find him at different spots every day.

Is it normal for goldfish to bottom sit at night while sleeping? My fish always seems to bottom sits when I enter the room in the morning and haven't turned the lights on. He is otherwise healthy though. So I guess my fish's favorite sleep spot is in the gravel since I find him at different spots every day.

Mine bottom sit/sleep every night. I used to worry about this but I think its "normal" behavior for some of them and is only a concern if its going on during the day. One of mine is up by 6am but the other really doesn't get up until I feed them around 8am. I guess like people, they are all a little different in their sleep patterns.

Edited by cmclien

Mine all sleep bunches together. :) I remember catching them the first time and snapping a quick photo.

They used to sleep in the corners and in the anubias. Now, mine sleep between the roots of the floating plants. They probably eat and asleep at the same time.

Clementine used to like the far left corner when she was in the smaller tank, but now she just drifts all over without a care in the world.

I have no evidence that my goldfish actually sleep. I've gone downstairs in the middle of the night, and my tropicals are sound asleep. But my goldfish are as active as ever. It seems weird to me...but they are apparently active in complete dark. I know they HAVE to sleep sometime, but I can never catch them doing it.

I have no evidence that my goldfish actually sleep. I've gone downstairs in the middle of the night, and my tropicals are sound asleep. But my goldfish are as active as ever. It seems weird to me...but they are apparently active in complete dark. I know they HAVE to sleep sometime, but I can never catch them doing it.

A lot of times when we're around they know it and wake up, but I assure you they do sleep. :rofl

My fish always used to sleep side by side in the corner. This was when my fantail was very shy, but then after I had had her for eight months and she was (finally!) really confident then she started sleeping half way up in the middle of the tank in between the silk fake plants. She didn't need my ryukin for comfort anymore! My ryukin always sleeps in the back right corner and even when I moved my tank and put the filter in that corner she still sleeps there.

Some of them I always find in the leaves of the anubias, others always sleep sitting on the bottom, sometimes even two or three of them huddled together in a corner.

Others seem like they never sleep oO I don't know how they do that!