2 of my fancies got dropsy ...

kerry123

The search for the tub is not very good, the stores I went to today didn't have any starmaids 115L tub, there's a 115L one in bunnings, but isn't from starmaid and isn't BPA free...and there's a really strong plastic smell... I'll check Masters tomorrow, although its a bit far from my place but they have many diff ranges of tubs in stock and I hope they will have it...

Fins crossed!

• Supporter

The search for the tub is not very good, the stores I went to today didn't have any starmaids 115L tub, there's a 115L one in bunnings, but isn't from starmaid and isn't BPA free...and there's a really strong plastic smell... I'll check Masters tomorrow, although its a bit far from my place but they have many diff ranges of tubs in stock and I hope they will have it...

Fins crossed!

kerry, give them a call first, it might save you a trip out there.. good luck :heart

Masters also doesn't have the starmaid 115L. So I did some online research and found a site that sells it. It takes 1-3 days to deliver and I've just purchased it.

Just wondering, anything else I can do while waiting for the tub to arrive? Is there a chance that the dropsy can be contagious to my other healthy fish in the tank? Do I need to treat the tank with anything?

• Supporter

hun, there nothing i can share with you at this point other than my original suggestion of removing mr.healthy and begin treatment in the tank.. seeing as you've got the tub on the way.. well, we just wait. in the interim, if you can weigh your fish, that would be awesome. at least with that, you can make the medicated food.

• Supporter

i found the info.. that will help to be here if needed

ok so I've just weight the oranda and its 38g(maybe a little bit less since I used a net to take the fish out and there might be water on the net... so lets make that 37g?)

OK. Here is what you'll need to do:

1. Make a batch of gel food, and then weigh out 20 grams of it. That's the portion you'll need to add the metronidazole to. Let it cool down a bit, but not completely. If you have a thermometer to check the temp of the gel, it should be around 110F for the next step.

2. Crush up 1 tablet of the metronidazole, and mix it with a little bit of tank water and then mix it with gel food.

3. Pour medicated gel food into a container, and let it solidify. Once it's gelled, you can put it in the fridge to let it continue solidifying.

4. Once done, cut this into 25 equal pieces. (Each should weigh around 0.8 grams). Each piece is enough for two days. I would freeze most of the cubes and leave enough in the fridge for 2-4 days max.

5. Start feeding your fish the metro gel food

kerry, i think the weight is similar enough to make the exact same mediacted gelfood like before :)